teenagers

Old 05-03-2009, 12:32 AM

I don't know what i've done wrong
Old 05-03-2009, 06:50 AM

Originally Posted by Barb M
Barb, what do you mean?
Old 05-03-2009, 07:02 AM

I loved my childrens teen-age years! They went so fast and you can't take it back. I wish we were able to have even more life experiances together. embrace their ideas, listen to them, they are more open minded then we give them credit. love them to pieces!! be carefull what you wish for.
Old 05-03-2009, 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by Mplsgirl
Barb, what do you mean?
I don't know, i guess kids go through stages, even our adult kids. When my two girls were teenagers, they were inseparable. And our house was a fun time then. Then right after their teen years, oldest one became snobby to youngest ones life choices, and visa versa, and you just wouldnt even know they are sisters. When my oldest one was in her twenties, she loved for the two of us to go shopping, then she had her baby and lived with us for awhile, and when she got her own place she was only 20 mins away, as a single mom she was alone and bored, so she would phone us every night, and we'd see her and elisa several days a week. Now she has a fiance, and they're an hour and a half away. We're lucky if she phones us once a month, we phone couple days a week just to try and talk to our grandaughter, and most of the time she just wont answer the phone. So i know she has a life now, but somehow she makes it clear that we're not good enough for her. I know she is disgusted with me having hd, because now i can't be her "all in all". So it's complicated. But, i think she just has some growing up to do, but we used to have fun, a lot of fun, now she doesnt want to so whatever.
Old 05-03-2009, 09:09 PM

Oh, Barb, I think she may be frightened, not disgusted, that you have HD? Maybe she hasn't come to terms with it yet. And she is afraid she's losing you, and distancing herself is the only way she can cope right now. I don't know how old your 2 girls are, but my 2 went through some stages when they wouldn't even talk to each other. Now they are best friends. Keep trying to contact her, dear.
Old 05-03-2009, 09:18 PM

I second that motion about them being frightened and no knowing what to say or do and distancing them for awhile. Sad but very likely - their coping mechanis,/
I know very little about HD. If you feel like it, pm me about it. Is there anything I can do to help? Are there support groups? Breast cancer support groups have been a great help to me, and I'll volunteer to help at the center in CT when I get there.

/
Joanne
Old 05-03-2009, 09:19 PM

Barb, some of her issues may be the fear of getting it herself as well. I don't know anything about Huntington's Disease, but so many different diseases are hereditary and I think it scares children and grand children to think that this may happen to them too. Just my thought.
Old 05-03-2009, 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by Mplsgirl
Barb, what do you mean?
I don't know, i guess kids go through stages, even our adult kids. When my two girls were teenagers, they were inseparable. And our house was a fun time then. Then right after their teen years, oldest one became snobby to youngest ones life choices, and visa versa, and you just wouldnt even know they are sisters. When my oldest one was in her twenties, she loved for the two of us to go shopping, then she had her baby and lived with us for awhile, and when she got her own place she was only 20 mins away, as a single mom she was alone and bored, so she would phone us every night, and we'd see her and elisa several days a week. Now she has a fiance, and they're an hour and a half away. We're lucky if she phones us once a month, we phone couple days a week just to try and talk to our grandaughter, and most of the time she just wont answer the phone. So i know she has a life now, but somehow she makes it clear that we're not good enough for her. I know she is disgusted with me having hd, because now i can't be her "all in all". So it's complicated. But, i think she just has some growing up to do, but we used to have fun, a lot of fun, now she doesnt want to so whatever.
BIG HUGS BIG HUGS BIG HUGS!!!!

I second what everyone else is saying. She is scared and distancing herself. She will come around. :)
Old 05-03-2009, 09:37 PM

yes, i've thought that could be it, was just having a down moment is all. Thanks for hugs. I mean, i know that we are luckier than most, to have had our grandaughter with us as a baby, we are just spoilt and used to being able to see her so much too. Thanks :)
Old 05-03-2009, 09:40 PM

Thanks joanne, but no, i have my hd forum too, i've just been having a moody day, so this was a good thread to vent on :) But i'll be fine