Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Tempted to do an act of kindness >

Tempted to do an act of kindness

Tempted to do an act of kindness

Old 08-08-2011, 03:23 AM

Good for you!!! Isn't it fun to help others?

I learned from a friend one day about helping others. We were at lunch in the city and a scruffy, homeless man asked us for money. My friend was so kind to him, calling him 'honey' and said she didn't have any cash that day (she didn't) but would help him out next time.

I in turn, say 'all he would spend that money on was booze.' She replied that we shouldn't give with conditions. It's not up to us what they spend the money on.

It certainly made me think about things. God doesn't give us conditions. That conversation made me a better giver.
Old 08-08-2011, 03:29 AM

Originally Posted by iowabelle
Last Thursday I was in downtown Des Moines waiting at the "transit mall" where all the city buses come. I had been there quite a while, waiting for a bus that would take me to a job fair at a local grocery store. I've been unemployed for a LONG TIME and things have been very difficult for me monetarily.

So I was sitting on a bench and across the street I could see this young woman in her 20s. She looked kind of dirty, like she could use a bath, and she was carrying a very large knapsack (looked like all her belongings were in it) and walking with a Labrador dog on a leash. She stopped to talk to one of the people (Operation Downtown) who clean the streets and give directions downtown, and then she walked away from me.

I was curious about her, and when the Operation Downtown man came closer to me I asked whether she was homeless. He said yes, and that she had needed directions to get to some place where she could get some food for herself and the dog. He had told her where she might get some help.

I sat and thought about it a bit longer, and all of a sudden I knew I had to give her some of the little money I had. So even though I had high heels on, I raced down the street in the direction she had gone. But I couldn't see her. I thought I knew where she might have gone so I turned that way, and there she was coming out of a doorway with her dog!

I only had $7 on me, but I thought I could spare $5. I gave her the money, and she was very surprised (since she hadn't even talked to me) and said "thank you". She said she was trying to get to Chicago. I told her I wasn't sure if she could get a bus to Chicago with the dog, but she said he was an assistance animal (I'm not sure what disability she had).

I was thinking that if she could get some other people to give her a little money she might be able to ride the Megabus to Chicago (they have some really cheap fares), but at least she'd have a little something for herself or the dog if she couldn't manage that.

I don't usually give money to people since I'm so strapped myself, and often homeless people spend it on drugs or alcohol. But I just felt something when I saw her and knew I had to give her some of my money.

I am still worried about that girl because it's rough on the streets, even in Des Moines, but I'm hoping she makes it to Chicago.

When I looked at her, I started to think about the story of Abraham in the Bible, where the two strangers come to his tent and Abraham believes they are messengers from God.

I'd like to think that maybe she was an angel too, giving me a chance to share with someone in need. (And please don't tell me I was a sucker!)

I just wanted to share this experience, I told a few people at church about it but I don't want to post it on Facebook.
NO U WERE NOT A SUCKER JUST A GOOD FRIEND AT THE TIME IF ANY BODY IS A SUCKER IT WILL BE HER IF SHE LIED TO YOU.MAY GOD BLESS YOU RICHLY.
Old 08-08-2011, 03:38 AM

I wouldn't say you were tempted to do an act of kindness but you were LEAD to do it. You were in the right place and followed your heart. You will blessed many times over.
Old 08-08-2011, 03:39 AM
Swap Hosts

God bless you for your kindness. I'm sure it will change her outlook and give her hope.
As for you, I think you learned an important lesson. Even though you might have been hesitant to step out of your comfort zone and approach the woman, you did so. Too often our own fears keep us from doing as much good as we are able to do.
I always taught my son to never refuse money to someone who asks. Always give even if it's your last dollar. You will always be able to get another dollar, but the person in need might not.
Isn't it amazing how our own acts of kindness transform us?
Old 08-08-2011, 03:43 AM
Power Poster

God Bless you!
Old 08-08-2011, 04:09 AM

As our world continues to change, We must always
remember to continue to give from the Heart !
You did wonderful by helping,something You felt You needed
to do,You see with Your Heart, You are blessed !!.
Old 08-08-2011, 04:12 AM

I think you did the right thing.

Cathy S/Willowwind
Old 08-08-2011, 04:15 AM

So nice to know theres still people out there who care about others!!!! GOOD FOR YOU!!!!!
Old 08-08-2011, 04:27 AM

Thank you for being so kind and God Bless.
Old 08-08-2011, 04:47 AM

Originally Posted by iowabelle
Last Thursday I was in downtown Des Moines waiting at the "transit mall" where all the city buses come. I had been there quite a while, waiting for a bus that would take me to a job fair at a local grocery store. I've been unemployed for a LONG TIME and things have been very difficult for me monetarily.

So I was sitting on a bench and across the street I could see this young woman in her 20s. She looked kind of dirty, like she could use a bath, and she was carrying a very large knapsack (looked like all her belongings were in it) and walking with a Labrador dog on a leash. She stopped to talk to one of the people (Operation Downtown) who clean the streets and give directions downtown, and then she walked away from me.

I was curious about her, and when the Operation Downtown man came closer to me I asked whether she was homeless. He said yes, and that she had needed directions to get to some place where she could get some food for herself and the dog. He had told her where she might get some help.

I sat and thought about it a bit longer, and all of a sudden I knew I had to give her some of the little money I had. So even though I had high heels on, I raced down the street in the direction she had gone. But I couldn't see her. I thought I knew where she might have gone so I turned that way, and there she was coming out of a doorway with her dog!

I only had $7 on me, but I thought I could spare $5. I gave her the money, and she was very surprised (since she hadn't even talked to me) and said "thank you". She said she was trying to get to Chicago. I told her I wasn't sure if she could get a bus to Chicago with the dog, but she said he was an assistance animal (I'm not sure what disability she had).

I was thinking that if she could get some other people to give her a little money she might be able to ride the Megabus to Chicago (they have some really cheap fares), but at least she'd have a little something for herself or the dog if she couldn't manage that.

I don't usually give money to people since I'm so strapped myself, and often homeless people spend it on drugs or alcohol. But I just felt something when I saw her and knew I had to give her some of my money.

I am still worried about that girl because it's rough on the streets, even in Des Moines, but I'm hoping she makes it to Chicago.

When I looked at her, I started to think about the story of Abraham in the Bible, where the two strangers come to his tent and Abraham believes they are messengers from God.

I'd like to think that maybe she was an angel too, giving me a chance to share with someone in need. (And please don't tell me I was a sucker!)

I just wanted to share this experience, I told a few people at church about it but I don't want to post it on Facebook.

You are a very caring person and I think you did the right thing..