Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
"Thanks" vs "Thank you" and "You are welcome" vs "No problem" >

"Thanks" vs "Thank you" and "You are welcome" vs "No problem"

"Thanks" vs "Thank you" and "You are welcome" vs "No problem"

Old 08-24-2015, 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by Neesie View Post
If anyone has a problem with my 'no problem' response after a doing a him/her favor, that person will have an even bigger problem because it'll probably be the very last favor I do for him/her.

Seriously though, as long as the person speaks from the heart, the words shouldn't matter so much. Why get your britches all bunched, over another person's lack of formality? Are we all so perfect in our speech habits, as to be truly qualified to correct anyone with speech less 'refined' than our own? Even if we are, is it worth hurting the other person's feelings, just for our own inflated egos?
Agreed........"Bless their hearts"
Old 08-24-2015, 05:09 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by mojo11 View Post
I have a major issue with the "no problem" instead of "you are welcome". What has happened to manners?????? If I thank a server for refilling tea or water or what ever, and they answer no problem-----their tip just went way down. Very rude.
I do not take the " no problem" reply as rudeness - I think it is what many of us have heard many times and now consider it an appropriate response.
Old 08-24-2015, 10:35 PM

Once in a while when I get "no problem" I respond with some form of "Oh... I didn't think it would be." Not very often, because it's hard to say and not sound snarky; it has to be delivered with befuddled innocence, and I'm not always up to the task. "No problem" is useful when someone says, "Oh, thank you! It must have been so much trouble!" although, depending on the situation, I still prefer "I was happy to do it." (in other words, "Yes, it wasn't easy, but I chose to make the effort.") or "It was nothing, really.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 01-03-2016 at 10:21 AM. Reason: language
Old 08-25-2015, 09:15 AM

I have a big problem with 'no problem' instead of you're welcome. Most but not all the time I have noticed it is younger people that say that in my neck of the woods. And around here 'hey' instead of hello or hi is the way everyone talks. You know like Hey Andy, Hey Barn, hey aunt Bea.
Old 08-25-2015, 10:02 AM

[QUOTE=fmhall2;7296128]Annette, I believe everyone should send thank you notes after a wedding, especially. I would imagine they had registered at one or two stores, so their attendees who went to the store and bought something on their list need to be thanked. We went to a wedding last summer (2014), and just last month we got a thank you note and an apology for being so late, but this year they were both working on their Master's Degrees, so they have been busy, but they wanted us to know our gift hadn't been forgotten. And I think that was neat.
(QUOTE)
th

If a gift is mailed it's appropriate to send a thank you note to acknowledge receipt of the gift but, for me,.. I feel a phone call is just as appropriate. It has been my understanding as well that if you thank the giver of a gift at the time the gift was personally given it is not necessary to send a hand written note as well. But, personally, I give a gift because, in my heart, that's what I wanted to do and I do not need a thank you
Old 08-25-2015, 10:57 AM

I always thought if you thanked the giver in person that no thank you card was required. And a text or phone call would be acceptable to me.
Old 08-25-2015, 12:31 PM

I hate to hear "No Problem..." huh? I prefer "Thank you" and "You are welcome"
Old 08-25-2015, 02:26 PM

I was taught in school that "excuse me" means I am leaving the room or area, and " pardon me" means I am passing you or I stepped on your toe, or bumped you.LOL
Old 08-25-2015, 04:02 PM

I can deal with any of them except "No Problem" that one really ruffles my feathers. I am looking for the perfect come back to that one. LOL
Old 08-31-2015, 06:14 PM

Anytime someone answers a request or statement with "No problem," I am so tempted to ask, "And what if it were a problem? What would you do?" I appreciate very much the response of "It is my pleasure."