Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
"Thanks" vs "Thank you" and "You are welcome" vs "No problem" >

"Thanks" vs "Thank you" and "You are welcome" vs "No problem"

"Thanks" vs "Thank you" and "You are welcome" vs "No problem"

Old 01-12-2024, 02:18 PM

Default Finally someone who agrees with me!’

Originally Posted by nativetexan View Post
Most definitely, but for some reason,be it t.v., internet, texting, what ever. People are changing the face of the English language. Soon we wont' recognize it!! I just try to close my ears!

It seems to be part of the general decay of the culture. Respect, etiquette, manners, language, etc… It’s said that it takes about 3 generations to majorly change behavior (for better or worse). In this context, that sounds about right. I’m 62 and can’t believe what is tolerated in this day and age. Unbelievable…
Old 01-15-2024, 08:19 AM

Now I'm saying this with a smile, so don't take offense, but all of the acronyms used by this board (quilters) can drive me up a wall, because I have not been quilting for years and years. I don't find it that difficult to just spell out words.
Old 01-21-2024, 03:57 AM

Fear acronyms no more. I used this link at beginning. Quilter's Dictionary & Acronyms ... a consolidation of previous posts
Old 01-21-2024, 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by mopec View Post
Now I'm saying this with a smile, so don't take offense, but all of the acronyms used by this board (quilters) can drive me up a wall, because I have not been quilting for years and years. I don't find it that difficult to just spell out words.
I was looking for something else this morning and found another page with acronyms for quilters. The page also has some other definitions used by quilter. https://web.archive.org/web/20150311...rs-dictionary/

It looks like the link to Quilter's Dictionary & Acronyms ... a consolidation of previous posts seem pretty complete. I noticed that thread also had "Nickels" & "Dimes"

Another site for terms used by quilters can be found at https://www.allpeoplequilt.com/how-t...quilting-terms
Old 01-21-2024, 01:58 PM

I just came across this old thread, and read through it. I'm of the camp that I don't care how you say it....just convey the fact that you appreciate what ever you were given, or service etc. I was surprised by how many seemed upset by the no problem phrase. That phrase is used all the time by my two adult sons. Whenever they do something for us, and we say thanks, or express appreciation, their immediate reply is "No problem!" They've often told us how thankful they are for everything we've done for them over the years, and they mean that anything we need help with is no problem for them to do. It's become endearing to us to hear them say it.
Old 02-01-2024, 09:04 AM

Ha! "no problem" is soooo much better than silence any day! !