Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • Is there a good Iron anymore? >
  • Is there a good Iron anymore?

• Is there a good Iron anymore?

Old 01-30-2014, 01:14 PM

I have one that I bought back in 1992, it's a Norelco no drip. I love it, BUT I can no longer put water in it. About 5 yrs. ago my puppy grabbed the cord and took off with it. Needless to say it broke the iron, but it still works wonderful except for not holding the water. My husband got one at a garage sale that's a black and decker. It works good except some one must have ironed plastic. When I first plug it in it will stick to the fabric. After the first time it scrunches the fabric from then on it works fine.

I bought a new black and decker last week, I'm taking it back tomorrow. It don't get hot enough and the steam don't work right.
    Old 01-30-2014, 01:24 PM

I have one that I bought back in 1992, it's a Norelco stop drip. I love it, BUT I can no longer put water in it. About 5 yrs. ago my puppy grabbed the cord and took off with it. Needless to say it broke the iron, but it still works wonderful except for not holding the water. My husband got one at a garage sale that's a black and decker. It works good except some one must have ironed plastic. When I first plug it in it will stick to the fabric. After the first time it scrunches the fabric from then on it works fine.

I bought a new black and decker last week, I'm taking it back tomorrow. It don't get hot enough and the steam don't work right.
    Old 01-30-2014, 01:33 PM

I use only distilled water in my iron, and I think I have had it for about 15 years - just a Black and Decker.
    Old 01-30-2014, 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by coopah
    That probably works for most irons, but read the directions thoroughly if you buy a new iron. Mine specifically said NOT to use distilled water. So it just depends! Wouldn't it be nice if all the irons used the same kind of water?
    Yes, I've bought three different brand irons in the last 6 months and everyone said not to use distilled water in them and particularly the ones labelled 'demineralised water'.

I remember my mother always used rainwater in her steam irons.
    Old 01-30-2014, 01:50 PM

And the reason I've tried three irons is because, in my newbie status, I've found only stainless steel bottomplates glide smoothly. All the fancy coated irons such as 'ion activated ceramic' and some of the Teflon ones actually drag on the fabric. The best iron I have is a cheap Sunbeam from the supermarket but it doesn't have auto cut-off and my iron is on all day most days.

I'm currently using an Oliso and love it.
    Old 01-30-2014, 02:08 PM

Whenever anyone wrote to ask this same question and some would knock the Rowenta, I
    would always defend it by saying that I have had two and was really satisfied with them,
    until NOW. I have had this one for two years and just recently it has started leak. This
    one WAS made in Germany and was over a hundred dollars. I am very disappointed in
    this iron and don,t know where to go from here. I always thought they were a quality
    product. Now, I can't say that I believe that anymore. I,m going to contact them to
    express my disappointment.
    Old 01-30-2014, 02:10 PM

I bought a German Rowenta from QVC several years ago and it's fine. I think I saw a German Rowenta at Costco recently. I don't put water in my irons. I just spritz with water.
    Old 01-30-2014, 04:15 PM

I splurged several years ago and bought a ROwenta. The first one I had (it got good reviews) steamed so much it left puddles on the floor under the ironing board. Returned it to BBB where I bought it. They gave me a new one the next model up. It lasted about 1 1/2 years. It didn't just sputter it dripped. Every time I picked it up water poured down my leg. I emailed Rowenta they told me I was SOL. Got another from my sister. SHe got it as a gift and doesn't iron. It did the same thing. I now have a SHark brand. About 1 1/2 years old, it doesn't seem to be getting as hot any more and is starting to sputter. I loved my Rowenta as long as it worked. I too am looking for a new iron.
    Old 01-30-2014, 04:33 PM

I am using an automatic shutoff iron I got about 18 months ago at Aldi's. It works wonderful. Have not used it for steam yet as I have an old one that works well for steaming. The newer irons do not get HOT like the older ones. I suppose the maker is afraid someone will burn themselves and sue them. What a world we live in!!!!!
    Old 01-30-2014, 05:48 PM

I must be lucky, I've had my cheapy walmart iron now for almost 10 years. It gets used almost everyday, sometimes for hours. Cross my fingers it keeps going!

Meant to say that I don't put water in my irons, I use a spritz bottle when needed.

Last edited by dakotamaid; 01-30-2014 at 05:51 PM.