Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Is there a good Iron anymore? >

Is there a good Iron anymore?

Is there a good Iron anymore?

Old 02-01-2014, 04:40 AM

My new Rowenta Eco just arrived. I will take it for a spin today. Snow storm forecast will keep me a sewing room prisoner!

happy to serve my time!

sandy
Old 02-01-2014, 04:56 AM

Originally Posted by Sandygirl View Post
I just ordered a Rowenta Eco ($115.00 on Amazon) to replace my recently deceased 24 year old Rowenta. It got good reviews from quilters/sewers. Hopefully it will take me into my twilight years!

The best part of this transaction was that my Discover Card rewards $$$ were applied! $97.00 reward money just popped up on the Amazons screen and I thought....ka-ching! $18 out of pocket . We shall see.

sandy
Let us know how you like this iron, please!
Old 02-01-2014, 07:04 AM

For quilting, I purchased a little Black and Decker travel iron about 15 years ago for around $20. It can be used as a steam iron, but I prefer to mix a little starch with a lot of water and use that in a spray bottle, so I don't use it as a steam iron. This little iron is still my favorite.
Old 02-01-2014, 09:02 AM

Default Read your owners manuals! Re: which water to use

Originally Posted by lovelyl View Post
Let us know how you like this iron, please!
Will do.

LADIES...i think that you all need to read your iron owners manuals very carefully. My new Rowenta is very specific on what kind of water to use and how it can cause leaks and sputtering if you do not heed the instructions. It does not recommend "distilled" water as I have always thought tho on my old iron I never had issues. It recommends UNTREATED tap water. We have softened well water but I always buy bottled water because I hate well water.

I do have a gallon jug of tap water (according to the labeling) on hand so that is my choice to use. I buy water to drink and to make ice. Fingers crossed.

But truly READ your instruction manuals. Seems to be too many unhappy Rowenta owners and there has to be a reason for all of the displeasure. I loved mine and I expect to love my new one.

BTW, it does say Germany on it....for what that is worth. My old one did too.

sandy

Last edited by Sandygirl; 02-01-2014 at 09:05 AM.
Old 02-01-2014, 09:22 AM

I have gone through 5 in the last 3 years. Now granted I sew all day and night and teach sewing to kids about 20 hours a week. But I have to admit out of those 5, I broke 2 by dropping the iron. I keep buying cheap ones at about $40-50. My students keep asking me why don't I spend a couple hundred and buy a good one. I said when I stop teaching I will. But for some reason.... irons break like crazy here at the studio.
Old 02-01-2014, 10:39 AM

Before now, I would have agreed with everyone who has posted about irons. Between Thanksgiving & Christmas I had an impulse to clean out my sewing closet. I got the archival comic book boards, and started sorting, ironing,folding & wrapping the fabric on the boards. This took many 12-14 hr. days. When I was on my last day, my iron died. My husband was going to WM to pick up prescriptions. Desperate to finish the closet, I called & asked him to pick up an iron, any iron, so I could finish. Him being a penny pincher, I was afraid what he would come back with. Imagine my surprise, when he brought a Panasonic cordless steam iron! It irons like a dream, is easy to fill, has no cord except on the recharge station(which has a retractable cord!), and because it is so light, I can iron for hours. It comes with a hard plastic blue cover/carrying case. its just wonderful. The reason for the splurge on hubby's part…..its a TOOL.
Old 02-01-2014, 10:39 AM

My old iron said only untreated tap water and empty it every time when you're done. So that's what I used and after the first few uses, it spit rusty water on my fabric. That was after I emptied it every time I used it but of course you can't 100% empty it and whatever drops are left in it dry, only to be rehydrated the next time you fill it.

So now I never use steam. I just use a spray bottle of water (or water/vodka) or magic sizing.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 12-01-2014 at 04:32 AM. Reason: language
Old 02-01-2014, 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by star619 View Post
Before now, I would have agreed with everyone who has posted about irons. Between Thanksgiving & Christmas I had an impulse to clean out my sewing closet. I got the archival comic book boards, and started sorting, ironing,folding & wrapping the fabric on the boards. This took many 12-14 hr. days. When I was on my last day, my iron died. My husband was going to WM to pick up prescriptions. Desperate to finish the closet, I called & asked him to pick up an iron, any iron, so I could finish. Him being a penny pincher, I was afraid what he would come back with. Imagine my surprise, when he brought a Panasonic cordless steam iron! It irons like a dream, is easy to fill, has no cord except on the recharge station(which has a retractable cord!), and because it is so light, I can iron for hours. It comes with a hard plastic blue cover/carrying case. its just wonderful. The reason for the splurge on hubby's part…..its a TOOL.
I almost bought one yesterday but thought it was heavy. Loved the double pointed ends!
Old 02-01-2014, 12:06 PM

After having the Rowenta i bought quit after about 6 months, and the Black & Deckers that I grew up with keep leaking. I decided to try a different brand. I bought a Shark at Kohl's on sale about 1-1/12 years ago, and I am still using it and loving it. I do a lot of ironing, and it has lasted does not leak, and has the auto shut off that the Rowenta did not. Everyone has their own preferences, but I want one that has good steam, multiple settings for my different clothing, and auto-off if I get distracted.
Good luck which ever way you decide.
Susan
Old 02-01-2014, 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by gale View Post
My old iron said only untreated tap water and empty it every time when you're done. So that's what I used and after the first few uses, it spit rusty water on my fabric. That was after I emptied it every time I used it but of course you can't 100% empty it and whatever drops are left in it dry, only to be rehydrated the next time you fill it.

So now I never use steam. I just use a spray bottle of water (or water/vodka) or magic sizing.

I wonder if the spray starches, fusible stabilizers, etc. gunk up the irons. My ironing board covers end up so "rusty" looking. We are not just ironing clothing....our irons perform so many more functions than our mothers and grandmothers used them for. We are hard on them and expect a lot in return.

And, like everything else in our modern world, built-in obsolescence and shortcuts in craftsmanship dies not help. Nothing is built to last. Sadly. Aggravating.

Sandy

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 12-01-2014 at 04:32 AM. Reason: language in quote