Thoughts on HE washer?

Old 09-16-2013, 05:55 PM

I had a new LG about 4 years ago. When I moved to a new home, I left that with the old property...hated it because, it took me all day to wash three loads of clothes. It took over an hour to process one simple load of clothes. So then, on to the next, another hour. Over three hours to wash three loads of clothes. Laundry was almost an all day chore and I haven't even addressed the drying process. For that reason, as a working person, I wouldn't buy another front loading HE washer. Takes way too long to wash a load of clothes.
Old 09-16-2013, 10:31 PM

I just had to replace my 15 yr old washer because I burned up the motor trying to wash something to big for the machine. The only washers out there are now HE's and I had to buy one. But thank goodness I still have the old one because I really do not like the new one at all. I've only had it 2 weeks. My biggest complaint is the noise, it sound like an helicopter waiting for takeoff. My old machine was extremely quite, very rarely knew it was on unless you were in the same area. I haven't really noticed any difference in the cleaning ability but it sure takes a lot longer to wash the clothes. Which to me uses more energy not less. I'm sure after a while of using this new machine the cleanliness of the clothes will show more. The reason I feel this way is there is NO WAY you can wash out really dirty clothes without more water so that would mean you have to run them through again or maybe even 3 times to get them clean. Simple logic here, you need water to wash away the filth, it's like trying to wash your hair with half the water, doesn't work.

So I'm in the process of trying to rebuild my old machine just so I can toss this new one out on it's butt. It sure was a waist of money, think of all the fabric I could have bought with that money. Can make a grown person cry.
Old 09-17-2013, 03:40 AM

Originally Posted by Neesie View Post
I have an LG top-load HE washer (no agitator) and am happy with it. It has a bedding/bulky setting, for when I want a tub full of water. It has a "pause/unlock" button, if I want to add something. If I want just a bit more water but not a tub full, I wash on "casual" setting.

You just have to weigh the merits of each machine, rather than the HE factor alone. It's getting harder and harder, to find a quality machine that isn't HE. Before you buy any of them, look up reviews and feedback, from folks who already have that particular model.
have a machine with same functions...I do like mine. However, I am a knitter and can no longer use my washer to felt wool knitted projects. Not enough agitation......
Old 09-17-2013, 04:18 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltnNan View Post
one drawback that i can think of is that there is not enough water to deal with bleeding fabric and using retayne or synthropol. i don't have one. i like the 'old fashioned' kind. it lets me run the hottest water if i choose to use that. in my last home, i'd bought a 'green' laundry center type and it would not allow me to use hot water at all [it started adding cold if the temp got too high] and it wouldn't let me open the lid during the wash cycle to add or adjust the clothes. really... i don't need the machine mfg's to make me be safe LOL
Isn't it sad, that we have to suffer from others carelessness. Glad to get the G2 on retayne and synthropol.
Old 09-17-2013, 08:56 AM

I like mine-there are draw backs-but it saves money and does the job.
Old 09-19-2013, 07:19 AM
Power Poster

I have a Kenmore Elite. I have had it for 8 years and have never had a washer clean clothes as well as this one.
Old 09-21-2013, 04:29 PM

love mine and I can set it to very gentle wash so it doesn't tear up quilts. I no longer get all the tangled mess when I wash my fabrics to prepare for quilting. Some folks think you have to drown items in soap and beat them against a rock to get them clean.
I keep the washer door ajar so not to get musty orders and wipe the water off the door and seal. White come out beautiful.
Originally Posted by Maggie_Sue View Post
In the market for a new machine. Finding mostly high energy machines. Is this the wave of the future?? My present model is 25 years old. Still working just fine, but will be moving and leaving that behind. Any pros and cons on this?? Thanks in advance for any assistance you can give me.
Old 09-21-2013, 04:31 PM

PS. The old top loader is the one that can put holes in clothes.