Thoughts on HE washer?

Old 09-14-2013, 08:55 PM

Default Thoughts on HE washer?

In the market for a new machine. Finding mostly high energy machines. Is this the wave of the future?? My present model is 25 years old. Still working just fine, but will be moving and leaving that behind. Any pros and cons on this?? Thanks in advance for any assistance you can give me.
Old 09-14-2013, 09:07 PM

I absolutely love mine. I have the Whirlpool Duet. We bought the washer and dryer with the pedestals. I have no problem with the musty ordor that some people have with this type of washer because I leave the door open a slight bit and the detergent drawer pulled out when I am finished using it. My DH cleans it with Affresh everytime the Clean Machine light comes on. That happens every 30 loads. I really like the front loading feature because it is easier for me to get the clean clothes out of it and transferred to the dryer. There is no agitator so I have plenty of room for my big quilts and comforters to fit. Good luck with your choice.
Old 09-14-2013, 09:08 PM

I have a front loader, HE, Samsung. about 3-4 years old. Love it. It sense the amount of water needed for the load. :Less detergent, too. It tumbles the clothes in both directions. I like that the friction of clothes against clothes is what's getting them clean (and soap, too, of course) rather than an agitator. But I have heard others say they hate front loaders. This one thing I do know, none of them are made like the ones we had 25 years ago! You might get 10 yrs out of new ones.
Old 09-15-2013, 12:58 AM
Power Poster

one drawback that i can think of is that there is not enough water to deal with bleeding fabric and using retayne or synthropol. i don't have one. i like the 'old fashioned' kind. it lets me run the hottest water if i choose to use that. in my last home, i'd bought a 'green' laundry center type and it would not allow me to use hot water at all [it started adding cold if the temp got too high] and it wouldn't let me open the lid during the wash cycle to add or adjust the clothes. really... i don't need the machine mfg's to make me be safe LOL
Old 09-15-2013, 01:18 AM

I, too, agree that the only downside of a front-loader is that it doesn't allow a enough water for pre-washing or using retayne or synthropol. In that respect, I miss my old top-loader, for sure.
Old 09-15-2013, 02:43 AM

Maybe I'm too old and set in my ways, bought a GE, HE set about six months ago, and I have been brought to tears by this piece of modern technology. I absolutely and totally hate it!!!! When I do a dark load it comes out with lint streaks all over the clothes. I have to wash them again, sometimes helps, sometimes doesn't. I've washed a comforter and it came out with dry spots on it. The sensor measures the weight of the load, but what if it has a lot of fluff, then there is not enough water to clean it. I pay $$$$$ for this pair and I have to take my quilts ,blanket,and comforters to the laundry mat. I used to love to do the laundry,now I get a knot in my stomach just thinking about it.
Old 09-15-2013, 02:48 AM

I love mine and have nothing negative to say about it. I also love the dry cleaning option on it (steam clean)
Old 09-15-2013, 03:50 AM

Mine is a top-loader. I do like the no-agitator part, but I do not think my clothes get as clean or rinse as well. Even using bleach with my white towels--they still look dingy. This didn't happen with my old machine. Sometimes I wish I still had it.
Old 09-15-2013, 04:19 AM

i just bought a HE may tag front loaders last dec and i love mine. havent had any problems and like
Tropical i leave my doors open slightly and havent had any problem.
Old 09-15-2013, 04:29 AM
dd

I bought an LG a couple months ago. I like it most of the time but you are limited by the manufacturers specs. Mine does have a setting for bedding. My store bought quilt came out ok. It's top load because front load wasn't conducive to my laundry room. It spins my clothes so dry, they don't take long to dry in the machine or on the clothesline. That's why I bought a new machine. Mine wouldn't spin anymore, very frustrating.