Thoughts on HE washer?

Old 09-15-2013, 07:38 AM

I have no problem using synthrapol in my HE washer. I've never bothered with retayne.
Old 09-15-2013, 07:52 AM

Location: Moved from Missouri to California June2013 have 1 son 2 daughters, all grown and 2 cats

Hi, I bought an HE washer in June. I too don't feel that there is enough water for a lighter load. But I can add with a push of a button. The other issue is where I live the water is HARD and I don't think clothes are as clean. Did not notice that before. But as someone else mentioned there is no agitator in the center and I don't think there is enough friction to properly clean. Otherwise I am happy with it. I do use the pre measured soaps to not over suds the load also.
Old 09-15-2013, 12:45 PM

I love my HE machine - it is a front loader - I like the fact that it doesn't use as much water, and spins much better than any machine I've had. Makes drying go very quickly. I think the clothes are cleaner now. I wipe the moisture off the window and run a cloth around the inside edge of the seals when I wash - never had an issue with the machine smelling - have run the clean cycle once in two years.
Old 09-15-2013, 02:54 PM
Banned

I got a new FL washer and dryer three years ago. It was a middle priced set, not cheap not really expensive.
I wish I had kept my top loader.
Old 09-15-2013, 03:07 PM

We love our Maytag front load machine. We've had it going into the third year, I think. Our clothes are cleaner than ever. DGS's white baseball pants are the whitest on the field Love that it uses so much less water as we have high water rates in our area and hard water. I have never used anything special for cleaning the machine and have no odor or signs of mold. I do leave the door ajar when I use it but my daughter who lives here doesn't. Can also open the door to add items, to a point, has a hot water setting and will actually heat up the water if it isn't hot enough. We still have our old dryer which works just fine because the washer gets things dryer to start. I sound like an add for Maytag, don't I? Sorry, but it really works well for us.
Old 09-15-2013, 03:15 PM

my Maytag top load HE locks so I can not do the retayne thing
Old 09-15-2013, 03:23 PM

My daughter-in-law has a LG front loader and the door has developed a leak so has to clean up water every time. Also has an LG 3door frig with ice-maker-compresser died 2 weeks after warranty was over--ice maker now won't quit making ice cubes so freezer is full of ice all the time. She will never buy LG again. I just got a Maytag toploader that has to use the HE soap--takes forever to do a load with all the sensing and pauses but do like the dryness of the load.
Old 09-15-2013, 04:18 PM

I do not like the HE washers at all!! Had to replace my 24 year old Kenmore with agitator. Bought the top of the line Samsung HE top loader, it has no agitator and I don't feel like my clothes are clean. I too noticed that the machine did not allow enough water to cover your clothes no matter which cycle is chosen. My HE has a glass lid so I can see what is going on. The lid also locks and if you pause the machine because you forgot toss in a sock, the machine will go into a drain when you shut the cover again so there goes all of your detergent....very annoying!! Another annoying thing with these machines is that they take so much longer to do a load. Now that is not saving energy, that is using more electricity.

I figured out that while loading my laundry into the machine and before I shut the lid and hit the start button I pour in 2 small buckets of water on top of the clothes and it tricks the washers brain into thinking there is a heavy load in the machine and it will actually give you more water. I also find I am using more detergent than with my old machine. Sorry, but I just don't like it...
Old 09-15-2013, 05:31 PM

I got mine last Dec. and love them, have had no problems at all. My dryer even has a steam cycle. My husband said thats the first time I ever saw water lines going to a dryer!
Old 09-15-2013, 06:15 PM

Thank you all so much for the reviews. Was not aware of some of these concerns. Being as how I really love my Maytag from 25 years ago, will try to find that if it is still available.