Thrift store "police"

Old 12-29-2012, 03:29 PM

There's a lot of truth to what you say. I volunteer at an organization that provides free clothing to children in foster care. Much of the 'free' stuff is donated used. Most of the time, we get clean, well cared for clothing. But I have personally opened a bag and started sorting a bag that had used toilet paper (not much) and dirty underwear in it. That bag went directly to trash.
Old 12-29-2012, 04:02 PM

Well it's too bad you met the quilt shop police but as far as the homeless man in the size 4 plaid skrt - you never know. LOL
In all fairness must share an article that I once read on-line - there are not only homeless men and women but now many homeless families too. Hopefully as the economy gets better this will change for the better too.
Old 12-29-2012, 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by Jingle View Post
No way would I ever tell them what I planned to do with anything I buy. Our thrift stores around here has mainly junky stuff and no fabric and not much useful stuff.
We had, as a custmer, a tool & die shop that use to get clothes given to them by Salvation Army store and they would do their jobs wearing tuxedos, suits, etc. Some of the clothes are so outdated, noone would wear them.
Whooop! Whoop! I have this great mental picture of guys in agarage working on cars wearing tuxedos!
Old 12-29-2012, 05:54 PM

Location: Quilting, crocheting, sewing and crafting in my Sewing Room...Peaceful and wonderful !!

Well doggone it; even the thrift store people have opinions now .. LOL I bought some shirts to turn into aprons for the GD's and the lady asked me if the shirts were for me and I said no they are going to be made into aprons. The look she gave me .. WOW! wouldn't even count back the change .. Oh well .. LOL
Old 12-29-2012, 06:08 PM

That's why I donate all my items to the Salvation Army! If someone really needs something, they will give it to them. Of course not everything that's donated is usable, but they make good use of a lot of things.

Originally Posted by PJisChaos View Post
I love shopping the local thrift stores and even Goodwill, looking for anything and everything I could put to use or use. Hubby is a garbage man and just broke my heart after telling me that there are Goodwill trucks full of clothing, furniture, you name it, out at the landfill at least once daily. They just dump all this usable stuff out there, huge trucks full of it! I wonder why they don't donate it to other organizations instead of tossing it away? It is still useful to someone, I would think.
When shopping there a few days ago, the cashier was astonished that I buy clothing and sheets "just to destroy them". I bit my tongue and simply said "Well, this way you won't have to pay to dump it at the landfill so, I reckon it's a win-win, huh?". Grrr, people like that just irk me and I'm sorry ya had to deal with that. Good job on the find though!
Old 12-29-2012, 07:50 PM

Where I live there are 3 thrift stores within about 30 miles of me...I am always amazed at Mercedes and Cadillacs, and other very high end cars parked out back! LOL...can't park in front...someone might see them! I say our cash is as good as anyone elses..shop for what you want..it all goes to the same place.
Old 12-29-2012, 08:18 PM

Originally Posted by DogHouseMom View Post
If she was that concerned about helping people who need clothing why isn't she giving it away??
Well said.
Old 12-29-2012, 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by Old hen View Post
That's why I donate all my items to the Salvation Army! If someone really needs something, they will give it to them. Of course not everything that's donated is usable, but they make good use of a lot of things.
Our Salvation Army store sells the items. Our Good Samaritan Center gives all items donated away.
Old 12-29-2012, 09:28 PM

Not only should they not critisize, (because of people like us and interior decorators they've raised their prices in my part of the country. Items that used to be a dollar or two are now four and five.) but they should thank us.
Old 12-29-2012, 10:19 PM

I shop at thrift stores as well, sometimes it's hard to be polite when people ASK what your intended purpose is. I usually say I recycle it, if they ask "into what?" I'll say quilts. If they seem annoyed I have been known to say "If you didn't want to hear the answer... why did you ask the question? Mostly I just tell myself they forgot to take their medication today. I said that out loud once and the lady looked at me like she was trying to remember if she did or not. Our thrift stores have volunteers, some are there because they REALLY want to help, others are there being nosy to see WHO comes in to BUY things (those are the askers... Its a gossip game) Very rarely do you find good clothing. because most people are buying from discount marts, it is sad to see what some people will donate. The better clothing is old and outdated, so don't feel bad recycling, that's what quilters have done for years.