Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Tin foil to block credit card scanners? >

Tin foil to block credit card scanners?

Tin foil to block credit card scanners?

Old 12-19-2010, 10:14 AM

Makes sense to me.
Originally Posted by catrancher
My husband is an engineer. This is what he said about it:

First of all, your card has to have the RFID chip for this to work, and you can find a symbol on the back of your card that will tell you if it does. I just checked our cards, and none of them have it.

Second, if thieves will do this, the cards will stop being made. If you don't have one now, you probably never will.

Third, if you're like me, your cards are all stacked together in your wallet. The device would get just a mish mash of information and nothing usable.

Fourth, the person has to stand right next to you to get close enough. I never let a stranger stand that close to me, except possibly in a checkout line, when I have my wallet and my cards in my hand.

My take on it? The chance it would happen to you is extremely remote.
Old 12-19-2010, 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by Karyn
Originally Posted by Chasing Hawk
I have a simple solution......Don't have those blasted devil created cards in the first place.

I seen that report too on FOX News, there is a symbol on your card that looks like three radar waves if it has that then your card can supposedly be scanned. That scanner he was using is in 7-11's, some gas pumps and places like Mickey D's.
Only problem with not using them is, no online ordering or by phone either. Have to order-mail in a check- and WAIT.
I use my check card for ordering. And our bank is really good about monitoring our account. So is Amazon.com, last year someone got a hold of my number and Amazon contacted my bank and my card was canceled. No charges were fraudulently added.
I don't check the option for storing a card number anywhere I shop. To easy for evil little minds to get it.
Old 12-19-2010, 10:48 AM

Patrice......LOL, I'm a little worried about the Martians also! ;-)

I had not heard of any of this (and I watch Fox all the time) so I found this a very interesting post.

I use one of the PRE_PAID cards I get from CVS. You get cash, I usually get $500, buy a "reload" card for $5.00 at CVS. They scan it at the check out and you take it home and go to "GREENDOT.com" and add the number on the reload card and you have the same as a $500.00 bill in your pocket. One of the perks, is if anyone steals the number of info, they only get what is on your balance and not all your bank info. Another great perk is you don't get a bill at the end of the month. You only spend what you put on the card, great for internet buying. And again, no one can get all your bank info. If I had a college or teenager, this would be perfect for them also. They can only spend what you put on the card.

That said, I'm going to make up a purse and line it with "insulbrite" like we use for potholders. Will work well for stabilizer and hold the purse up better.

Thanks for this info, I need to go to the website posted on the first page and read up. I'm sure it won't be as intesting as reading all of these posts...............

just a thought.......wonder if sandwiching a piece of heavy weight foil in fabric and stitching it into our purses would work.

HMMMMMMMMMM
Old 12-19-2010, 11:05 AM
QKO

Originally Posted by Debra Mc
I have some batting made for hot pads & it is sandwiched with a silver foil type material. It is suppose to block the heat. This might work out. I can't remember the name of it off the top of my head but maybe some of you know what I'm talking about. It just might work.
Sorry, Insulbrite's shiny foil-looking stuff is Mylar, a plastic.

It won't repel radio frequency waves like metal foil will. But it will resist heat, so if you line your purse with it, it'll double as a cooler. :mrgreen:
Old 12-19-2010, 11:10 AM

Here is a good fix. Most hardware stores have an insulation that is for lining windows. Thinsulate with a mylar layer that doesn't allow heat through I use it to put a center layer in hot pads. It turns out it can portect your credit cards so just make yourself a wallet with a layer of it and then you have peace of mind!
Old 12-19-2010, 11:19 AM

We had someone try to steal our credit card credit, they went into our account for $1.80 and the bank straight away picked it up and closed the account number down completely. They said they try for a small amount first then if that goes through they clean out the account. The banks IT department was instantly alerted in our case. I now use a credit card that has a small limit, and keep it maxed up and bank into it every time I want something online that way if thieves get the number the account is useless to them. For most of our purchases we now pay by online EFT and many businesses are doing it this way now. My local quilt shop said she had many quilters who had had the same experience as us.
Old 12-19-2010, 11:26 AM
Banned

Actually Tin foil would work.

My sister worked in a clothing store in the mall and she said thieves would have bags lined with tin foil to get by the store scanners. you know the tags that they put on the clothes to keep you from stealing.

Funny thing is they would never get any information off of my cards because I weld a lot in the garage making body panels for the cars I work on and it wipes out the magnetic strips. Everyone has to manually put the numbers in the computer because they wont scan.

Billy
Old 12-19-2010, 11:33 AM

I bought a card holder from www.Magellans.com that has some metal threads in it to prevent scanners from getting your card/passport information. Mine is wearing out and just searched to see what they have again. LB192 is one I might order as that one is close to the one I now have. There are a couple other styles. Not cheap but the alternative of someone getting your info is worth it.
Old 12-19-2010, 11:34 AM

Ok, I just sandwiched a piece of insulbrite between two pieces of iron on batting and sewed it into my purse (I really prefered the turquoies lining) on the flat side without the zipper pocket.

But I guess if the insulbrite won't work for scanning, I will at least be able to keep my water cool and my lipstick from melting. ;-)

insulbrite stitched into my purse.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]145221[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-145216.jpe  
Old 12-19-2010, 11:34 AM

OK, I saw metal cases on QVC by ONON to put your cards in..almost $40 :shock: :shock: You can get them on ebay from Israel and some other foreign country (whose name slips my mind) for less. I'm thinking a tin from mints will work just fine for free :lol: Usually its the fast pass cards that have the chips, but only keep cards in your purse that you need for the trip your going on..if you're not going to Penney's and Sears, leave those home. If you have a card from when you bought your tires 6 months same as cash and they sent a card..leave it home! This also helps if your entire purse gets lost or stolen..fewer companies to call and cancel... :D I love having everything but the kitchen sink with me..but maybe its time to put my cash, cards and ID in the mint tin and put that in my pants pocket. Now, I might not have my tape measure, note pad, lip balm, hair brush, pictures of family and friends, rosary,weight watchers stuff,hair clips for the grand kid that's NOT with me...!!!but I would have peace of mind!! Ok, maybe I should put the rosary in my other pocket to help with that peace of mind...

Now I'm hoping the tin is the right size...