tomato thief

Old 08-28-2013, 04:59 AM

Not having any problems with the tomatoes disappearing, in fact I'm swimming in them for a change. I had to trim back my cherry tomato plant as I couldn't walk into the garden without stepping on its vines. I now have a whole bowl full of little green tomatoes.......waiting for them to ripen in their own time. Last year I had planted sweet potatoes, went to dig them up due to a cold front coming in and all I found was the outer shells of the potatoes. A mole had made himself at home eating at my beautiful sweet potatoes. Will try them in my raised beds next year and see if they can dig their way thru 8 inches of rock and gravel...................little devils.
Old 08-28-2013, 05:07 AM

I have to grow mine in earth gardens on the pier so the deer leave them alone. We have had deer walk up on our deck to help them selves. The pier is easier and so much easier to water. LOL.
Old 08-28-2013, 05:55 AM

Originally Posted by Snooze2978 View Post
Not having any problems with the tomatoes disappearing, in fact I'm swimming in them for a change. I had to trim back my cherry tomato plant as I couldn't walk into the garden without stepping on its vines. I now have a whole bowl full of little green tomatoes.......waiting for them to ripen in their own time. Last year I had planted sweet potatoes, went to dig them up due to a cold front coming in and all I found was the outer shells of the potatoes. A mole had made himself at home eating at my beautiful sweet potatoes. Will try them in my raised beds next year and see if they can dig their way thru 8 inches of rock and gravel...................little devils.
You can also line your raised beds with something like chicken wire.
Old 08-28-2013, 06:27 AM

Last year, something was eating my tomatoes. They'd just start to get ripe and somebody would take a big bite out of several of them. I kept blaming the squirrels or chipmunks. Then one day I caught the culprit. It was my cockapoo! Now I give her a cherry tomato when we go out to pick them and she leaves the big ones alone. She also eats raspberries right off the bushes!
Old 08-28-2013, 06:27 AM

Racoons love tomatoes in my neighborhood.
Old 08-28-2013, 06:36 AM

I gave my son heck last year for eating all the cherry tomatoes I had in pots on the deck.

He claimed he had not eaten all of them.

A day or so later I caught the culprit. Our 20 pound mutt decided he loved cherry tomatoes and was helping himself. I had to put the pots up high so we got to eat some too.
Old 08-28-2013, 06:37 AM

My dog on her last outing of the night (dark outside) would go over and eat only the cherry tomatoes that were almost ripe...always left the green ones! Took me a couple of nights before I caught on.
Old 08-28-2013, 07:09 AM

Three years ago, a miserable ground hog ate all of my ripening tomatoes, down to the last one. I tried everything to trap the thief, but all I caught was possums. Ewwwww! Do they ever stink. And, they have the most vicious mouth full of needle sharp teeth too.
Old 08-28-2013, 08:01 AM
Power Poster

My Dh did container gardens because the soil down here really doesn't do well. He grew them on the platform of a doghouse that was built for our dearly departed fur babies, Bonnie and Buddy who shared it. It was a 4x8 piece of ply wood. Unbeknownst to us there was a large non-venomous snake (rat/garter)living under it. Didn't bother me. We had the best tomatoes and strawberries, because this snake, I named Hazel, (had babies) kept the birds at bay. She took up residence for 3 summers. Then one day after going to the store and the yard guy was told not to try to run over her repeatedly, I came home and he was so proud and I was so pissed and angry. Yep he hit her with a rake and a shovel. He wanted to taste some strawberries and she was in the way. I fired him and buried her. Then the birds came. I hurriedly picked as many tomatoes and strawberries as I could and checked on them daily but the birds always beat me to it. That was the last of the container gardening. We have so many birds in our back yard on a daily basis, we would be wasting our money.
Old 08-28-2013, 09:37 AM

Location: Quilting, crocheting, sewing and crafting in my Sewing Room...Peaceful and wonderful !!

WOW ! and our tomato disappearance is caused by Night Children !LOL You know teens who are out and see ripe maters and are hungry !LOL Only caught em once and told never to come back as I was filing a police report. Haven't seen them again or yet .. as my maters are growing strong for sure now !LOL