tomato thief

Old 08-28-2013, 09:47 AM

Do you have squirrels? I thought I was growing them just for the deer and raccoons, but found out it was the squirrels that were getting to mine. I tried many ways to keep them out, but they prevailed. Finally decided I was sharing/serving them .... a few for me, many more for them.
Old 08-28-2013, 12:01 PM

Sixteen years ago, my husband and I and our almost 4 year old grandson were talking in the garage, when all of a sudden our grandson was missing. We ran out of the garage, looked around, and saw him in the garden, eating cherry tomatoes. He was so cute.
Old 08-28-2013, 12:30 PM

I watched a chipmunk steal all mine one year. I was blaming birds until I caught him.
Old 08-28-2013, 12:44 PM

I had 12 huge blueberry bushes and enjoyed blueberries from July until September even though we lived in thick woods. There were lots of birds, squirrels, deer, you name it. My first DH bought a ScareCrow Sprinkler Motion Activated Animal Deterrent which reacted loudly with a spray of water whenever its motion detector triggered it. He mounted it on a stand so it would cover the whole patch. NOTHING bothered either the blueberries (toward which it was directed) or the garden which was at its back. Loved that thing!
Old 08-28-2013, 01:07 PM

My husband planted tomatoes and the rabbit ate them all.LOL
Old 08-28-2013, 01:59 PM

Caught our culprit on a camera.....it was our neighbor! We thought that tomatoes, peppers and zucchini were a little much for an animal to take all at once. Now we know why their young boys stole tools from my husband.....some while he was under his truck working on it! Then one night my husband was walking through our garage in the dark from his shop and ran into their 7 year old son in the dark. I would have freaked out....my husband took him to his parents and told them that the next time he would call the police. He told them if they did not stop stealing from us, they would be visiting both of their sons in jail. The other son was 5 years old. No more problems.
Old 08-28-2013, 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by Lady Diana View Post
Caught our culprit on a camera.....it was our neighbor! We thought that tomatoes, peppers and zucchini were a little much for an animal to take all at once. Now we know why their young boys stole tools from my husband.....some while he was under his truck working on it! Then one night my husband was walking through our garage in the dark from his shop and ran into their 7 year old son in the dark. I would have freaked out....my husband took him to his parents and told them that the next time he would call the police. He told them if they did not stop stealing from us, they would be visiting both of their sons in jail. The other son was 5 years old. No more problems.
Good grief! Are those kids hungry, or were the parents maybe putting them up to it?! I could hardly get my kids to eat salads when they were that age!
Old 08-28-2013, 07:12 PM

We used to have a St. Bernard that would eat tomatoes as soon as they turned ripe! We also used to have a German Shorthaired pointer that would pull the sweet corn right off the stalk, peel it down and eat the corn off the cob. My biggest problem this year is dear eating my Swiss Chard and carrot tops off.
Old 08-29-2013, 06:54 AM

Last year is was possum, would only take one big bite then move on to the next tomato and take one big pointy bite....was aggravating!
This year its been wet so tomatoes are not being bothered (knocking on wood)
Old 08-29-2013, 08:06 AM

One year, we had mysterious tomato disappearances during the night. We never figured out what was doing it. Then, the following spring, we had volunteer tomato plants at the foot of the oak tree. We figured it was those pesky squirrels.