Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Trouble with 4-d embroidery software >

Trouble with 4-d embroidery software

Trouble with 4-d embroidery software

Old 08-10-2013, 06:13 PM

Default Trouble with 4-d embroidery software

Hi everyone! I am in a dilemma and need help. I recently had to replace my laptop computer with a PC. I have a Pfaff Creative Vision sewing/embroidery machine and have been using 4-d Embroidery with my laptop since I bought them in 2009. My laptop has Windows & on it and the new PC has Windows 8 (hate it, by the way). Problem. Embroidery program will not send the design from the PC to my machine. Everything has checked out okay, but I keep getting and error "Microsoft error. Close down all software and restart". This is driving me crazy. I've called Pfaff and the sent me some link to download that was suppose to make it work but it won't. I have to load my design onto a usb stick and then plug it into the machine to make it work.
Anyone else had this kind of problem or have any suggestions??? Thanks.
Old 08-10-2013, 06:20 PM

contact the software site they may have a update for windows 8
Old 08-10-2013, 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by newbee3 View Post
contact the software site they may have a update for windows 8
That was what I was going to suggest too. Seems I remember others have trouble with windows 8 no matter which software they use.
Old 08-10-2013, 07:32 PM
Power Poster

I think maybe check the software site see if an update is available.
Old 08-12-2013, 03:09 AM

Are you talking about Microsoft or Pfaff?? I did contact Pfaff (were the 4-d embroidery came from) and they sent me a link for new drivers, etc. That was supposed to fix it but it didn't. I don't know how to contact Microsoft. I guess I have 2 options. Upgrade to 5-D Embroidery or put Windows 7 back on it. Thanks.
Old 08-12-2013, 04:15 AM

Originally Posted by morelcabin View Post
I can't figure out why they ever dreamed up the windows 8 program...even the people that sell them don't like them! Can you bring your computer in and have them instal windows 7 on it? It would probably be the easiest thing to do. I just bought a new laptop two months ago and made sure it was windows 7...not 8.
Win 8 was developed for tablets and then someone got the idea to put it onto a pc; that's were the problem begins. It maybe that 4D isn't compatible with Win 8. I see you are in NC, how close are you to the Hampton Roads area or do you have a dealer there. We have Bella Fabric here in Carrolton and they are great and a lady there named Jeanne who is the expert at Viking would be able to tell you about the compatibility issue. I was going to buy a drawing tablet endorsed by Viking and it used 4D and the owner said it was such a great gadget. I asked Jeanne and she said it wasn't compatible with Win 7 or 8. I tell everyone who is looking for a pc to not get Win 8. I work in the IT dept and we won't install it on any of our pc's due to compatiblity issues. I agree, see if you can either switch it out to Win 7 if it hasn't been too long since you bought it or if you can't do it then take it to a place like Best Buy and have Win 7 installed. Call Bella's or email Viking software support. They are fast at responding. I know that you have a Pfaff but its the same software. Go to Vikings website and normally at the bottom they have an email for hardware and a separate one for software support.
Old 08-12-2013, 04:28 AM

Originally Posted by Blue Button View Post
Are you talking about Microsoft or Pfaff?? I did contact Pfaff (were the 4-d embroidery came from) and they sent me a link for new drivers, etc. That was supposed to fix it but it didn't. I don't know how to contact Microsoft. I guess I have 2 options. Upgrade to 5-D Embroidery or put Windows 7 back on it. Thanks.
if you do upgrade it now to 5D you'll get the free upgrade in Sept to 6D; that's when its being released. Go to Vikings website for more info on this. Have you tried doing the smart updates thru your configure in 4D; maybe there is an update; I know there was one to make it compatible with Win 7; that was 8.3 I think. It would be worth a try.
Old 08-12-2013, 05:34 AM

I always use usb stick that's the way I learned and like it
Old 08-12-2013, 07:00 AM

Originally Posted by mary quilting View Post
I always use usb stick that's the way I learned and like it
I agree; I'm on my second Viking now; both have the send and the USB capabilities but I always do a save as and normally put it in a folder on the USB. This is especailly helpful when I need to pull it up on my other laptop and work with it; plus I always know where it is. The only designs on my machine is from when I bought it and one from when I was taking a machine class learning how to do it all.
Old 08-14-2013, 03:23 AM

Thanks, everyone. I think I am going to upgrade to the 5D especially since it will be a free upgrade in Sept. to 6-D.