Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Very close call yesterday!

So glad you are safe. I cannot imagine living with tornado threats. Or hurricane either.
    Lynne

I don't think you're crazy at all, I did the same thing!! I live in Louisville and we were given plenty of warning. I'm severely asthmatic so my medications and breathing machines were first. Then I took my lap top down because it has all my family pictures on it, plus my iPad. Next was my sewing machine and last were the ashes from my dog, Ellie, who was glued to my hip when she was alive. Our insurane papers, etc are already in the basement.

You did the right thing in right order. I don't have basement so safe place is my bathtub. Never had a tornado tochdown in my town but the siren went off in evening of last yr. I was in bed with cat & dog. No kids here. Grabbed my dog and called the cat. They thought I was crazy when I pulled back shower curtain and laid down in tub with them. boy was that scary. Moved here from Calif 6 yrs ago & didn't look for house with a basement because their had never been a tornado here. Now, I wish that I had a basement. Don't know what' scarier--tornado or earthquake. Oh, I I could have my Janome 11000SE would have been somewhere in that tub with us.!

I'm so glad you and your family are OK. We aren't subjected to tornadoes here, but we get floods from time to time, and last year was one of those times. I was ready to start hauling stuff out of my sewing room when the water started to recede.
    ~don't fret if you don't have scraps~http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/s...ansport025.gif
    ~Happy Quilting Trails to You~

Power Poster
    think you did the right thing those storms are scarey glad you are safe
    QUILTNMO

j
    You did the right thing and do it again(hope never) but with your machine you may have had to sew things for people etc etc. I have been in those winds when on the road and it is not very much fun. - J.

Quote Originally Posted by Rose_P View Post
    I'd take insurance and other important documents, and irreplaceables, such as family pictures.
    So glad to hear you and your family are safe. Rose_P had an excellent suggestion with the family pictures. We are in a hurricane area and my mother and father traveled a lot. My mom always put the albums with baby pictures in them into a pillowcase. I live in a town nearby and was instructed to pick up the insurance papers and the baby books if there were hurricane warnings while they were gone. Not having any babies myself, my dog and my sewing machine will be going with me!

Blog Entries
    Thank the Lord you are ok
    A friend is someone who knows all about you and loves you anyway.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MamaO2011 View Post
    Needless to say, I spent several scary minutes huddled over my kids,
    You're OK. Had you said "I spent several scary minutes huddled over my stash, then I'd be worried. Glad you weren't hit. I think if we had to leave, the Baby Lock would have to be rescued, so no - you are not alone.
    Martina
    Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Fabric!

I learned from our last tornado warning to keep some things in the basement for protection since sometime we get very little warning. Also when I was running to the stairs down, I remembered my purse and car keys and all the medicines I take daily. Never thought of those things at the last warning that sent us to the basement. Live and learn!

I have been praying for all the folks in these terrible tornadoes' path this year. Bless you all.

Prayers and hugs to all. And no you are not crazy, living in an apartment what would be the item I would grab first - fur baby and machines!
    Quilting makes me happy!..

Glad you're ok. Those warnings are one reason I don't miss living in Illinois. We had close calls where I grew up.

Glad you're ok. Those warnings are one reason I don't miss living in Illinois. We had close calls where I grew up.

Glad to hear no one thinks im totally nuts! Yes, we got really lucky that we had such advance notice it would be bad. We had snacks, food, insurance info, birth certificates, photos, family Bibles, pets (save my big furry cat Nikon who didn't come inside but came back when it was over.), kids and quilty stuff down in the basement close to an hour before the worst of the storm came. If it had been at my door with no warning, it would've just been the kids and whatever pet we could find on the way downstairs!

We were finally able to go assist with some clean-up today. If you're interested in seeing some photos, they are here: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=aad223f216

Of course, now the river is up and flooding, which happens every March in our town....we will just keep on keeping on, I guess!

Sounds like you at least had the kids safe first!!!! So then it is OK to save the sewing stuff!! :-) Actually, I thought the story line was going to be you discovered you wouldn't mind sewing in your basement. :-) Glad you were safe!

Hahaha.... I would sew in the basement if we could solve the water issues we have down there!!! Oh and if I could be sure all the creepy crawlies were gone!

We spent the better part of Wed. night and Friday night in our safe room. Not room to take more than our bag of important papers, 2 chairs, a mattress and flashlights and NOAA. This year we were safe. Last May, lost the shingles and siding on our house and 2 trees. Whew! Glad to be spared this year but so sorry for those who were hit.

Senior Member hensandhollyhocks's Avatar
    Just always make sure you have time. I would hate for anyone to get "caught" in a tornado.

Glad to hear you & your family and your quilting things are ok. I often think of taking my stuff with me when I go away I don't want to lose any machines or fabric. Sometimes I don't realize how much fabric I have until I have to make room in the drawers in my guest BR and I want to shoot me. I have to get time when I get back from my son's in Ga before my brother arrives for a visit. After that I'm just going to have to take the time to organize things between my fabric, yarn, crafts even I'm getting to nervous I'll never finish all the projects I want to do. No more store for me until I get moving. Prayers for all of you to be safe. Sue

nms
    Be thankful you're here to have the task to bring it all back upstairs again )

Quote Originally Posted by MamaO2011 View Post
    Glad to hear no one thinks im totally nuts! Yes, we got really lucky that we had such advance notice it would be bad. We had snacks, food, insurance info, birth certificates, photos, family Bibles, pets (save my big furry cat Nikon who didn't come inside but came back when it was over.), kids and quilty stuff down in the basement close to an hour before the worst of the storm came. If it had been at my door with no warning, it would've just been the kids and whatever pet we could find on the way downstairs!

We were finally able to go assist with some clean-up today. If you're interested in seeing some photos, they are here: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=aad223f216

Of course, now the river is up and flooding, which happens every March in our town....we will just keep on keeping on, I guess!

How sad to see all those houses wrecked. I am glad that no one else was hurt though. I am thinking that maybe in those areas the underground houses may be a good idea. ....

Hi Katie, I would have done the same thing. I am so glad you are all OK. Safe and sound. One time I decided I wanted to move out of state back to where I was raised. I packed up 75 boxes of stuff and went to midwest to look for a house. drove all that way by myself. After 3 weeks, I decided to come back to AZ. I called my HB at 3Am and said it was a bad idea. I came all the way home and unpacked 75 boxes. My husband said he prayed to Jesus that night I called. My whole living room was full of boxes. My home where I was raised was in Navarre Ohio
    Last edited by sewingsuz; 03-04-2012 at 06:01 PM.
    Suzanne
    Asking a seamstress to mend is like asking Picasso to paint your garage.

Blog Entries
    You are not crazy, i would have done the same thing but my stuff is already in the basement, thank God you all are ok, that's the most important.
    Mary

Quilting, crocheting, sewing and crafting in my Sewing Room...Peaceful and wonderful !!
    wow.. I would of reacted the same .. Glad you are safe and your family is safe as well !!
    When Life brings big winds of change that almost blows you over.Hang on tight and Believe.
    Words and hearts should be handled with care-for words when spoken and hearts when broken are the hardest things to repair. Author unknown to me
    Do what you feel in your heart to be right; for you'll be criticized anyway-Eleanor Roosevelt

So glad you and your family are safe. You are not crazy at all. We all know what we would grab in a fire for sure. But if I knew there was a tornado warning, my machine would go with me and as much as I could carry of my other stuff too.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast