Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Wal Mart and the Fabric Department >

Wal Mart and the Fabric Department

Wal Mart and the Fabric Department

Old 07-26-2011, 06:48 AM
Power Poster

In my area, 20 miles away, we got a new "small" super center, which did not include fabrics. Haven't been in in a while, and I found that they are bringing in fabrics by the bolt!! They moved all the yarn to another area, and are loading fabrics now. Can't even buy it yet, as it is not priced, no cutting table yet, etc. But it is coming. Hopefully they will carry battings and fusibles and such also!
Old 07-26-2011, 06:52 AM

Last week they were stocking the notions, and some fabric was up. The cutting table was in, and so were patterns, and buttons. Its getting there but very slowly.
Old 07-26-2011, 06:55 AM

Originally Posted by sewmuchmore
Cessews is, Right on! Just have to watch what you buy, use conpons, and got for it, that is half of the fun.
I have been shopping the 2nd hand stores/garage sales/hobby lobby and other places for material since Jo-Ann's went out of business (but is coming back in Nov,2011) and have been paying the lower prices for material. Notions ? been buying them online @ Nancy's, not sure of any other place to buy them online. Or I drive the 5 hours to Denver or Salt Lake City to go to a Jo-Ann's or Hancock's which to me makes the material even more expensive. Hopefully the economy will settle down and prices will come down & stabilize before too long! I need my fabric fix !LOL
Old 07-26-2011, 08:14 AM

Our Wally has a notions department and a few Brother sewing machines but no fabric. :( Do have a Hobby Lobby near by and they seem to have a decent selection of fabric-JoAnns' is close by as well as Hancock fabrics. Lucky to have several selections to get fabric.
Old 07-26-2011, 08:23 AM

I have a good friend who has worked in our FD at WM for yrs. She told me a couple weeks ago, they are bringing back the FD's in all the WM's. They did realize it was a dumb mistake to take that dept. out in the first place.
Old 07-26-2011, 08:26 AM

Orland Park ,Il.
Got a new Super Wal Mart everyone said the super centers are not getting fabric. Walked in yesterday and they are
stocking the shelves. looks like a nice variety and it is on
bolts. nice large area. its on the corner of 94 th. and 159 th.

phyllis
Old 07-26-2011, 08:47 AM

went to WalMart in Homestead (near Miami) and they had a few fat quarters and they were really THIN. Don't know if they plan to bring back real fabric but we have NO LQS here, only Joanns
Old 07-26-2011, 09:23 AM

Recently went to a Wal-Mart in Elizabeth, CO. Here's what I found there for fabric. It was 2 yds. of fabric (not a big selection) folded and hanging. Not again. A few yrs. back, in Hays, KS, I saw fabric that was cut in 3yds. with a dress pattern all in plastic bags. Who wants to create something that someone else chose! Then I was at the Colby, KS, store and saw 3 men that looked like they were from the corporate office with the manager. I asked them and yes, they were. I told them I had a complaint to make and told them about what a dumb idea the Hays store had. Two of them pointed to the 3rd guy and said, "He came up with the idea!" LOL But back to the Elizabeth store, I suppose someone who isn't a sewer or quilter came up with that dumb idea. Guess I'll write to headquarters.
Old 07-26-2011, 09:40 AM

The old Walmart in town still has the conventional fabric department but the new Walmart that went in has a different set up, just a few bolts of fabric and no bell on the table so I don't know how you are supposed to find someone to cut for you, but lots of shelves with flat fold precut fabric of all kinds, and in various yardages, and a wall full of jelly rolls and precut squares. The fabric varies in quality but the whole display takes up 2 isles, and there's no divider in the middle so you can see it all at once, and is really well done.
Old 07-26-2011, 02:18 PM

Our Walmart in Lafayette, Louisiana does not carry fabric at all. I wish they would bring it back because I did spend a lot of money in that area. Now, i go to Hancocks or Joannes or one of the other fabric shops here in town. I think Walmarts all over the country should bring the fabric back to the store.