Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Wash purchased clothing before wearing? >

Wash purchased clothing before wearing?

Wash purchased clothing before wearing?

Old 08-19-2016, 10:43 AM
Power Poster

I always launder new clothes before wearing- you never know who may have tried them on, or how many hands were on them. Packaged items like socks, under ware, some shirts still may have sizing, starch, or some other chemical on them....yup, everything gets washed. My hubby bought a shirt one time ( packaged) and put it on right away- broke out in a horrible rash that took weeks to clear up. You just never know what might be on those garments or who/ what has been in contact with them. I might not always prewash fabric but I always launder clothing regardless of where it came from
Old 08-19-2016, 11:07 AM
Power Poster

I have never worked in a sewing factory - but a neighbor that worked in a sewing factory making panties - she says that it is a MUST for her to wash new clothing before wearing it.
Old 08-19-2016, 11:09 AM

My sister worked at a sewing factory once. She said AlWAYS was clothes before wearing them. You don't know who made them. And all the lint and bugs in the factory was not what you want to wear.
Old 08-19-2016, 04:23 PM

I always wash new underwear first because when I was little my friend's grandma talked about the bugs.
Old 08-19-2016, 04:51 PM

I always wash all new--or used--clothing---my sister worked in retail for many years and they were encouraged to put on clothing from the store, tuck in tags, and then rehang at the end of shift--this was to get people to notice new lines and see how to accessorize. also some people do this and then return the clothing for refunds! So yes, I wash!
Old 08-19-2016, 07:52 PM

I wash anything that is washable that I buy before I wear it even if I bought it new. "New" clothes are still handled by many people before you get them and with a lot of clothing being made overseas and in third world countries, it bothers me. Its not like they are going to wear plastic gloves and peoples hands do sweat.
Old 08-19-2016, 08:20 PM
Power Poster

Yes, I wash all clothing-new or used. No telling what could be on them.
Old 08-19-2016, 08:58 PM

Always have. I don't buy clothing that needs dry cleaning.
Old 08-19-2016, 09:48 PM

I always wash new clothes before I wear them because I have no way of knowing what was on the hands and body of the people who touched them and/or tried them on before I purchased them.
Old 08-20-2016, 02:33 AM

I wash everything before wearing, no matter where it came from. I used to work with a girl who got a fungal infection on her skin (across her shoulders and upper back, up the back of her neck, and into her hair) from time to time, and it was very hard for her to get rid of. She had medication for it, but also had to simultaneously wash every article of clothing she owned and every piece of bedding in very hot water in order to clear up the rash---sometimes more than once during the length of time she was on medication, since she could reinfect herself with the fungus by putting on her own clothes. That means she may have gotten the initial infection from clothes tried on for size in a store, which means you can get that infection by trying on clothes in the store which were previously tried on by another shopper with the rash. Imagine having to wash every piece of clothing you own and every piece of bedding. It was awful for her, and this rash recurred on her several times during the years we worked together.