Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Wash purchased clothing before wearing? >

Wash purchased clothing before wearing?

Wash purchased clothing before wearing?

Old 08-20-2016, 07:23 AM

According to some news shows I watched, all brand new purchased clothes/apparel from any department store should be washed prior to wearing. Even the packaged items need to be. Their research apparently dealt with germs, allergens, etc. It only dealt with washable items.
Old 08-20-2016, 07:46 AM

I remember reading this subject before. One response was that about nine people handle your garment before you buy it. After reading that, I wash my clothes, sheets and towels.
Old 08-20-2016, 07:48 AM
Power Poster

if you only saw what I did at a big box fabric store you would certainly wash before using. The gal was heavily perspiring and wiped herself down with fabric. Luckily one of the clerks saw her. Made her leave then had to cut at least 2 yards off. if the clerks are in doubt they often just send the bolt back with a damage claim. You may want to wash next time.
Originally Posted by sandy l View Post
If it has to be dry cleaned, I don't buy it. I always wash any new clothes we buy, also any new sheets and towels, but never any of my quilt fabric.
Old 08-20-2016, 09:40 AM

Store bought clothing I'll wash before I wear it. If it comes out of a package, probably not as I know no one has tried it on. Anything from a thrift/2nd hand store, definitely wash before I wear it.

Kitchen items from 2nd hand stores definitely wash it before I use it.
Old 08-20-2016, 10:21 PM

I don't care where it came from...everything gets washed. My Mother always did it, so I still do!! I notice many clothes "smell"....don't know if it's chemicals or not.
Old 08-21-2016, 02:28 AM

Anything I buy used is always washed. I always wash new sheets, towels, and underwear. New clothing? Usually not, but sometimes it has a funky feel or smell so I wash. I used to have to wash all new items for my daughter and her father. They would break out in hives from something in some items. They could tell by the smell of the clothing.
Old 08-21-2016, 04:11 AM

Originally Posted by gramajo View Post
I wash everything that was not purchased new from the store.
I wash it brand new from the store, clean from a Thrift store. I want everything totally clean and I don't know where brand new clothes come from and what kind of bugs grow there, wherever! That is one of the only things I am totally paranoid about.

Funny, but when my husband and I bought a "new" car, I had to wash every bit of it, including the seats, (upholstery), carpeting, the trunk, the steering wheel, window winder-uppers, and after the upholstery and floors dried, I sprayed it with a disinfectant. Then and only then was it our car. Is that considered anal???????? Edie

PS - never got sick from a newly purchased car or store bought clothes. I wash my quilts when I am done making them also.
Old 08-21-2016, 05:00 AM

Washing a new car completely, is not anal, but a bit OCD behavior.......but, maybe you mean new to you, if so, I probably would have done the same thing!
I don't wash new clothes or linens, will wash unpackaged kitchen items...actually instructions will state to wash before using. Groceries: of course all fresh produce of any kind. I don't think we want to know about canned items..I know there are strict fed laws, but once in awhile someone finds something in the canned food. I think I'm more concerned about restaurant workers...and hope their sanitary practices and personal hygiene and physical health are good, not to mention the cleanliness of the restaurant equipment and practices.....I think more susceptible of contracting something that way rather than thru fabric, clothes (new)....jmho
Old 08-21-2016, 06:32 AM

I don't think washing items from a resale shop is a sign of class or prejudice about the donors or employees just the simple fact that they may not have not been washed prior to donation, sat in a closet for a long time or from a home with pets. I like the crispness and brighter colors of new clothes so I do not wash before I wear them. However I do wash bath towels, sheets, undergarments do get washed prior to wearing. Also baby clothes when I had one!
Old 08-21-2016, 10:36 AM

All undergarments. All hubbys clothes. He won't wear until washed. I don't generally wash tops for myself prior to wearing, but like a lot of you, everything thing is it's own special situation and we just handle accordingly... Someone asked me if I was all ready for the birth of my new baby (35 years ago) and I said yes, except for washing a new robe my MIL got me... They thought I was crazy. Washing a new item!!!!