Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Washing a long length of fabric

Washing a long length of fabric

I learned a way to wash a long length of fabric and not become twisted and terribly wrinkled. It is described and demonstrated by Kaye Wood on a YouTube video. I tried it, and it works!
    Search youtube "Bold Beginnings.....and her name. This is how I found it again after seeing it once before. She said a viewer had sent the tip to her.

Blog Entries
    Thanks for sharing that information. It would be good not to end up with a mess of wrinkles!
    "A woman is like a tea bag-you can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water." Eleanor Roosevelt

Can you post a link please? I have looked and looked and haven't found it. Thanks
    Jane
    Physically in Maryland but heart is in Indianapolis.

Rescued Boxers are adoptable love. Please consider a homeless/rescued pet when adding to your family.

Quote Originally Posted by jrhboxers View Post
    Can you post a link please? I have looked and looked and haven't found it. Thanks
    Try this:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=bltKdP71clk

(That does not look like a click will work)
    If that does not work, try Google:
    Bold Beginnings Quilting Stencils. There is more than one that begins with Bold Beginnings, I did not know that in previous post. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by jrhboxers View Post
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bltK...6Ph66BeJwbw4BT

try this one...

Blog Entries
    That video is 25 minutes long! I think the tip is in the comments section? A woman writes that she puts her long lengths of fabric inside a pillowcase and rubber bands the end closed to wash and dry.

The tip I have heard mentioned most often is to accordion fold the fabric and use safety pins to hold the folds in place.

Quote Originally Posted by Prism99 View Post
    That video is 25 minutes long! I think the tip is in the comments section? A woman writes that she puts her long lengths of fabric inside a pillowcase and rubber bands the end closed to wash and dry.

The tip I have heard mentioned most often is to accordion fold the fabric and use safety pins to hold the folds in place.
    The tip is very close to the beginning of the video, probably less than one minute into it. Not in the comments section.
    Accordian pleats...yes!
    I had to make a run to Walmart to get some big safety pins. Oh well...it's only 1 mile to get there. And I needed to get that fabric washed so I could use it for a quilt backing. Success!

I will need to try this. Thanks for posting it.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

Quote Originally Posted by Prism99 View Post

I tried the accordion method and it works fairly well.

The tip is in the 1 minute 30 second area. You just pleat the fabric, big wide pleats that are held with safety pins. The fabric is opened up so the selvedge ends are opposite each other and not folded like they are when you buy the fabric. Because you pleat the width of the fabric, (selvedge ends) so the safety pins are in the selvedge and not in the printed fabric. When I first tried it I was afraid the pins might rust but they didn't and the wash and drying turned out great.

Blog Entries
    Isn't it tough to get the safety pins through all the layers of selvedges?

Thanks for the link. I will certainly try this.
    People will see your quilts long after you're gone - NOT your housework!

Blog Entries
    I've been doing this for a couple of years now (I thought it was my own idea ). My pleats are much wider than those Kaye shows, so the thickness isn't too hard to work with. When I washed a gifted bag of scraps, I pinned several pieces together on at least two sides and it really helped.
    "I keep my end tables full of needlework and quilting so I don't have to dust them." ~ Author Unknown but I agree!

Thank you so much for this link and tip. I am always washing 4-8 yds of fabric at a time for my husbands shirts and quilt backings. Am going to try this tip for sure. Thanks again.

Thank you, GrammieJan. I watched the entire show and will be trying both the washing and the quilting with paper overlay. As it happens, I just bought a lot of coordinated flannel at Joann's and it all needs to be washed (since flannel shrinks), so this is very timely. Additionally, I have a huge log cabin top to quilt and this might be an ideal way to quilt it.

Cricket

Blog Entries
    thanks for the tip
    put off till tomorrow what you can do today, and if you procrastinate long enough, you may never have to do it.