Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 3 4

Thread: Washing Machines

Blog Entries
    There is zero percent chance I will ever hand wash my clothes unless it's the only way. I can barely hand wash the hand-wash only dishes I have to do (I have problems with my hands and wrists). Even clothes that say to hand wash get put in the washer on the hand wash cycle.

If you saw my husband's dirty farm clothes before and after a wash, you might think our washer does a fine job.

Blog Entries
    I have washed everything but towels and sheets in cold water using liquid Tide or Era for years, and my clothes are clean. I don't have kids or a husband who gets grease on his clothes, so I don't have those kinds of problems - but when I did, I used Amway's SA8 and cold water - that worked, too. I have a Kenmore top loader, but would love to have a front loader to save water and NOT have an agitator that twists clothes into a mess!

Blog Entries
    The Whirlpool refrigerators are junk. Bought one just 2 years + ago at Lowe's, it lasted 2 years and 1 month, didn't buy extended warranty. It was noise and the ice maker kept freezing up from the beginning, then on the week-end it quit completely. I am going to start shopping at our family owned appliance store. Have heard their service is really good. We should not need an extended warranty if the appliances were made to last.

Hi Gale,
    I have been looking for this speed Queen and I can't find one.
    I was able to find a man who buys used machines, repairs and sells them.. I may have to go that route.
    I still HATE this new GE HE machine... it's got to go..I washed a small load of towels and washclothes about 5 of each and to prove a point to a friend, I placed a white wash cloth with Wet chocolate milk on top, washed the load and guess what?? the wash cloth still had the chocolate milk on it when the load was done... at that point my husband said it's going as soon as they can come and get it.

Quote Originally Posted by gale View Post
    We bought a new washer about a year ago. We did not want the HE type or whatever that uses 4" of water (my husband is a farmer-get real. lol) so we bought a traditional Speed Queen top loader. LOVE LOVE LOVE. It's all mechanical so no motherboard or anything to break and it does a great job. We can use whatever temp of water we want, fill it as high as we want, open it during the cycle, and it's very basic, which is perfect for us. The only extra thing we sprung for was the model with the extra rinse button.
    Never look down on anyone, unless you are helping them up.

I also bought one of those new HE washers, top of the line Samsung top loaders with no agitator. Do I like it he** no!! But I figured out a way to trick it into giving me more water for each load. Before I hit the power button I load the clothes into the machine, then I dump a couple of gallons of cold water right on top of the clothes, add my detergent then I turn the power on. Now the machine thinks I just put a heavy load into it and now fills with plenty of water....clothes now come out cleaner because there is enough water for the clothes to move around. If you have a sink close to your machine, give this a try, it really does work.

Blog Entries
    always had a top laoder, could stop it ata anytime and throw in that lost sock. heard all the rage about the front loaders, so when NOT. it takes forever to wash, there's no way to quicken it up, like in a top loader, and that lost sock, is lost forever. I hate it. we really only have room for a top and bottom one. but when it goes, i'm looking for a top loader. Oh, lets not even discuss the high effiency washer!!! and the special soap you need and the cleaner for the drum you also need.
    put off till tomorrow what you can do today, and if you procrastinate long enough, you may never have to do it.

Thank you Brandeesmom, this does work well, It totally tricks the machine.

Quote Originally Posted by brandeesmom View Post
    I also bought one of those new HE washers, top of the line Samsung top loaders with no agitator. Do I like it he** no!! But I figured out a way to trick it into giving me more water for each load. Before I hit the power button I load the clothes into the machine, then I dump a couple of gallons of cold water right on top of the clothes, add my detergent then I turn the power on. Now the machine thinks I just put a heavy load into it and now fills with plenty of water....clothes now come out cleaner because there is enough water for the clothes to move around. If you have a sink close to your machine, give this a try, it really does work.
    Never look down on anyone, unless you are helping them up.

My miele is 18 yrs old and has had one repair. Its a great machine and if I have to replace it I would do so with the same brand. Prior to buying this machine it was a case of new washers every second or third year as they just didn't last or the cost of repairs made it more cost effective to just buy a new one. I think it really is a case of paying for what you get. Though my machine cost a kings ransom it has more than paid for itself with barely a day of not being used, many days on all day especially when all five children were at home. Now it gets more rest though my youngest seems hellbent on producing enough washing to compensate for the absence of her siblings!

Blog Entries
    I have a washer with no lint filter in it. What fun that is. The lint roller has become my best friend. wish it would die so I can get a new one and guess what my first question will be.
    Kindness is a language which the deaf can hear and the blind see.
    mark Twain

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheilz View Post
    My miele is 18 yrs old and has had one repair. Its a great machine and if I have to replace it I would do so with the same brand. Prior to buying this machine it was a case of new washers every second or third year as they just didn't last or the cost of repairs made it more cost effective to just buy a new one. I think it really is a case of paying for what you get. Though my machine cost a kings ransom it has more than paid for itself with barely a day of not being used, many days on all day especially when all five children were at home. Now it gets more rest though my youngest seems hellbent on producing enough washing to compensate for the absence of her siblings!
    The problem is that they don't make washers the same way they did 18 yrs ago and what was a good brand back then may have been bought out by someone else and may not be a good brand anymore. I remember when Maytag was a go-to brand and then whirlpool bought them and now they're the same junk as other companies. And now that they have these water conservation rules in place traditional washers like what was available 18 yrs ago will no longer be made at all. Only high efficiency ones.

Blog Entries
    Could it be the laundry soap you are using? I bought a Samsung front loader last year and I just Costco brand Free and Clear laundry soap, I feel my clothes are getting very clean.
    Mother yourself just as you would your own children, you will be surprised how much better you feel...Debbie Marie

Quote Originally Posted by Paula Fullager View Post
    What ever you do, don't get an LG. They get moldy and make your clothes smell like mold only after 3-6 months and they won't do anything about it and their customer service is terrible. We had to get ride of ours after about 2 years because we couldn't stand the smell any more.
    We LOVE our 2 year old LG. We are in a dry climate and leave the door ajar until the washer is dry. We've had absolutely no problems, no odors, no bad smells, and our clothes are cleaner than they've ever been. I inherited an old rag rug from my mother and just one wash through this machine made the colors pop - I never knew there was purple and pink fabric in this rug before I washed it in the LG!!!!

Based on my happy experience, my cousin in MN bought the same machine and raves about it on a weekly basis because her previous TOTL washing machine was a disaster (I won't mention names.).

I just couldn't let our beloved washing machine have a negative review without writing about my positive experience.

We both Whirlpool washer and dryer set about 6 months ago. The washer is a top loader. It has all kinds of settings and does a good job. I like the gentle cycle for fabrics...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 3 4