Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Washing Machines: w/agitator or w/o??

How dirty are your clothes?? If you work where you get really dirty the low water machines do not work as well. If you clothes are not really dirty, just need to be freshened up, then they are fine. I HATE the low water machines as my husband works on antique cars and gets really greasy. NO low water machines here and I like the agitator as always.

No agitator not for me

Quote Originally Posted by CurliQ View Post
    I have this one too and love it. My daughter is 5'4" and has to just about lower half her body in to get to the bottom. On the other hand, that's a lot of laundry in one load.
    I have a newer non agitating washer and it my save water but my detergent does not rinse out leaving streaks on my cloths.

I have a top load no agitator water-conserving machine. It cleans fine, but I don't feel like things are rinsed really well, and you can't do things I used to do with the old machine like fill it and soak clothing . It won't let you do that because of the water saving feature. I can't say I've noticed a difference in our water usage, but if I were to have to replace it, I'd go back to the the kind you that you can control the water level. As far as the agitator, I have like not having that as straps and things don't get caught and wrapped around it.

Blog Entries
    i have one without the agitator and don't care for it, either.
    the lack of agitator is not the issue.
    it's the lack of water.
    it flat does not wash as well.
    i don't often need to soak, but - dagnabit! - that ought to be up to me ... not the machine.

i am sick of machines that make all our decisions for us.

that said, it's good to read that there are modern makes and models that do work well.
    should i ever decide to upgrade i now have hope it wouldn't be a total waste of time as long as i do the research before i choose what to get. i relied on my satisfaction with the make of my previous machine. so much for that concept. LOL
    I Quilt, I Nap, I Quilt Some More ... Aaaaah, The Good Life!

for Newsletter or Digest issues, please contact [email protected]

To contact me with questions or suggestions that relate to our community, you may email [email protected]

Need to add----- DH bought me a small stool to stand on after I nearly fell in.������
    Happy Quilting Grandma of 15, 3 Greats

Blog Entries
    I have a 32 year old Maytag top loader with agitator. I love it. I prefer the agitator. I love a good sloshy wash! Edie
    Home is where the rags of your life are turned into quilts, lemons become lemonade and a few extra pounds are simply welcomed as "more of you to love."
    I am so confused. I don't know if I found a rope or lost my horse."

BELIEVE

Agitators clean better. I had the fancy Magtag Neptune. lasted 10 years. I went back to a basic model.

I'll go against the grain, I have a front loader and wouldn't trade it. It uses less water, less detergent and spins the clothes drier. It then takes less time for the dryer to work. Good luck finding what you want -- there is something for everyone!

The new washers that swish is the greatest for washing fabric. No raveling. I have a handwash cycle and I can wash precuts with no mishaping or raveling. If you wash oily, dirty, stained clothes I wouldn't recommend it. But for everyday laundry no agitating will keep your clothes looking new longer. Mine is a top loader, I wanted to be able to open the lid while washing to check if my quilting fabric was bleeding or not. It uses as much water as you set it too. From auto by weight or by volume. I use the detergent pods and just toss one in per load. I don't wash more then a small load. I don't like having a big load of laundry to deal with at one time. Just makes me go agggggg to see a big load of laundry to fold and put up. Life is too short to have agggggg in it.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

I bought a Samsung top loader without an agitator a couple of months ago. Absolutely love it. Best washer I have ever had.
    Carmen E.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandygirl View Post
    which one???

Sandy
    The one that has the tidal wave action.

I decided to go with the non-agitator Maytag Centennial. According to their info it shoots water into the drum from the bottom. I never soak anything and for the most part, our clothes are "clean" except for DH clothes from his outdoor activities. (Lawn work, etc). I am excited to give it a whirl. I did not think to reach in to see if I fall in! LOL! I am 5'2"! I have a small stool if the depth is an issue. We are on well/septic so the less water used made sense.

The set gets delivered on Monday. We shall see!

thanks for all of the great input !

sandy
    Sandygirl

Janome 9900 / Janome 9700 / Janome 3160 QVC/ Janome 1100D serger, Juki 2020 Mini
    Singer Centennial model (inherited from my late, fav aunt!)

Blog Entries
    I just bought a Maytag top loading energy efficiency machine(one with no agitator). I really like it ,I did not want anything fancy. That is almost impossible, but I got mine with minimal gadgets. I do like that it has a hand wash cycle on it. I had my other Maytag washer and dryer 26 years, so I hope this one last that long, it will out live me. Also we only gave $100 more for this set than we did for the one we purchased 26 years ago and we got it from Lowe's they were the only ones that would deliver for free also. Also if you want you can fill it up instead of using just the small amount of water

I downloaded and read the owners' manual on my new machine. You CAN soak clothes and there s a PAUSE button to interrupt the cycle and unlock the lid. Reading the Troubleshooting section really expains a lot of scenarios and how to remedy some of the "challenges" mentioned in this thread. I actually look forward to doing laundry! Well.....maybe.

it is a Maytag Bravo with "Centennial" on the control panel....for what it is worth.

sandy
    Sandygirl

Janome 9900 / Janome 9700 / Janome 3160 QVC/ Janome 1100D serger, Juki 2020 Mini

Quote Originally Posted by lclang View Post
    How dirty are your clothes?? If you work where you get really dirty the low water machines do not work as well. If you clothes are not really dirty, just need to be freshened up, then they are fine. I HATE the low water machines as my husband works on antique cars and gets really greasy. NO low water machines here and I like the agitator as always.
    I prefer to set the water level higher on most all my loads, I just can not see how a couple gallons of water will actually clean a load of bedding. A relative had a washer repairman tell her to stay with the 'real' agitator.

I love my new HE top loader it works great! Different noises than my agitator ones but cleans well, less drying time, less detergent. So far it's been great.

How can clothes get clean with less water? Not understanding that. There are water level adjustments on mine for different load sizes.
    Deb Watkins - I woke up today on the right side of dirt. It is a good day.

I love our LG top loader. We bought the largest home one since we have a King size bed. Yes, I do have to get in there, but it does a great job.

Quote Originally Posted by nativetexan View Post
    Hmmm, top loader without agitator? that would be great. I still like top loaders because I usually like to soak my quilts. front loaders don't have that option i believe.
    I can't remember the brand right now but my front load HD machine has a soak cycle; I use it a lot but would probably not try to soak a quilt ( even with Color Catchers) because of the drastically reduced amount of water used. The lack of the agitator not only adds space but is so much gentler on clothes - no more underwear wrapped over and around the agitator Joyce in Delaware

Moved from Missouri to California June2013 have 1 son 2 daughters, all grown and 2 cats
    Blog Entries
    I bought an LG , a nice one just one year ago. I do like it, it took some time for me to get used to the much less water it uses. The clothes are clean, the spin makes them almost dry. Now that I've gotten used to the water level it's great. If I have something heavily soiled I still program for additional water! :-)

Quote Originally Posted by mandyrose View Post
    guess I'm not up with the times give me my good ole top loader for same reason I like the soak feature and almost always I will find something laying around that I can throw in the washer nice that I can pick up the lid and throw it in, I think the newer ones don't have that feature once it starts you can't open it don't like that.
    I have a Whirlpool set, fairly new. You can open the lid using the pause button. I like having a top loader with an agitator. Had to search to find what I wanted, so glad I did.

Quote Originally Posted by KimmerB View Post
    I love my new HE top loader it works great! Different noises than my agitator ones but cleans well, less drying time, less detergent. So far it's been great.

The owners' manual for my new set actually address the different noises to expect as it cycles. I think if people would read the owners' manual for any purchase, they would be more comfortable with their purchase. I am glad that you are happy with your machine!
    sandy
    Sandygirl

Quote Originally Posted by Deb watkins View Post
    How can clothes get clean with less water? Not understanding that. There are water level adjustments on mine for different load sizes.

Deb, the manual explains that the machine senses how large the load is and adjusts how much water to use. and the water is pushed up from the bottom intermittently, like a fountain blast. Sounds like a lot of ladies in the thread are happy with their high efficiency machines. We are on well and septic so I think saving water makes sense esp if we go thru a dry spell. Eventually these will be the only option if not already. The govt. is on a conservation rant. I HATE those stupid mercury light bulbs that don't illuminate like the old bulbs. Nor do they last as advertised. We are always replacing them. I have just gotten used to bad lighting.

Sandy
    Sandygirl

Blog Entries
    I've had both and now I have front loading for about 7 yrs now and I love it. Saves on water and the dryer is so much faster. It senses the wetness of the clothes and adjust the timing. Most of the time it is done about the same time as washer if not before. I used to have to either wait for the dryer to get done or do a couple of loads washing while waiting for dryer. I have lots of kids clothes going thru mine with little socks and even though none of them have went into the pump, ( I did have problems with them disappearing in top loader) there is an area in the the front where I check to see if they got caught in there. Its really good because with animals and pet hair and then kids socks and the other stuff they put in thier pockets, most of them get caught in this clean out area in the front and then the stuff that shouldn't be in the dryer (like crayons) usually don't make it that far. There have been lots of topics on the subject here. I will advise you if you use color catchers then pin them to a washcloth, they have been known to get into the pump and back it up. I no more than heard about it when it happened to me. I still use them when needed but do pin them so they come out when they should. Good luck for your search.
    Judy

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by GranJanNM View Post
    I have a Whirlpool set, fairly new. You can open the lid using the pause button. I like having a top loader with an agitator. Had to search to find what I wanted, so glad I did.
    I have a Maytag and mine has this too. I love the soak feature in mine, it works great. I also love the lock out feature that keeps the kids from opening them machines when they shouldn't. You save on water and soap and electric since it takes less time to wash and also to dry. Even when I put a heavy quilt/bedspread in mine it comes clean.
    Judy

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast