Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Washing Machines: w/agitator or w/o??

Washing Machines: w/agitator or w/o??

Replacing mine. I want a top loader. My choices are the old standard agitator or try the new ones w/o the agitator. Supposedly conserves water. But how does it clean??

sandy
    Sandygirl

Janome 9900 / Janome 9700 / Janome 3160 QVC/ Janome 1100D serger, Juki 2020 Mini
    Singer Centennial model (inherited from my late, fav aunt!)

My sister loves hers.

Quote Originally Posted by KarenR View Post
    My sister loves hers.

which one???

Sandy
    Sandygirl

Janome 9900 / Janome 9700 / Janome 3160 QVC/ Janome 1100D serger, Juki 2020 Mini
    Singer Centennial model (inherited from my late, fav aunt!)

Asheville, previously Lake Vermilion, Tarpon Springs
    Blog Entries
    We just got an LG, not a top of the line model, either. It uses 1/2 the amount of detergent and the clothes are cleaner. It cleans by moving the entire tub to agitate the clothes. There is a rinse and spin cycle that I use for fabric. It sings a little song when it is done.
    I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it difficult to plan the day.

Kris

My daughter has a Maytag without an agitator and she loves it. She says the clothers are spun dryer so less time in the dryer, less detergent and uses less water.
    Families are like quilts, lives pieced together, stitched with smiles and tears, colored with memory and bound by love.

Blog Entries
    Hmmm, top loader without agitator? that would be great. I still like top loaders because I usually like to soak my quilts. front loaders don't have that option i believe.

I have a Bosch washer and dryer. They do conserve water and soap. My biggest complaint is with the king size sheets. It rolls them into a tight cylinder, especially in the dryer. Occasionally I have to stop the machine and shake out the sheet so it will dry thoroughly. I've vowed I won't get another Bosch. My daughter had Whirlpool w/d and loved them.

Blog Entries
    I have the LG with the diamond tub- such a good machine. And it has a soak cycle too, along with loads of other options. My only comment would be that is you are vertically challenged, it might be difficult to reach into the bottom to retrieve items. I am 5'6" and can reach fine, but any shorter and it might be a problem.
    'He cannot be a gentleman which loveth not a dog' -John Northbrooke
    Try to be as nice a person as your dog thinks you are.

Quote Originally Posted by nativetexan View Post
    Hmmm, top loader without agitator? that would be great. I still like top loaders because I usually like to soak my quilts. front loaders don't have that option i believe.
    guess I'm not up with the times give me my good ole top loader for same reason I like the soak feature and almost always I will find something laying around that I can throw in the washer nice that I can pick up the lid and throw it in, I think the newer ones don't have that feature once it starts you can't open it don't like that.

Quote Originally Posted by quilter1 View Post
    I have the LG with the diamond tub- such a good machine. And it has a soak cycle too, along with loads of other options. My only comment would be that is you are vertically challenged, it might be difficult to reach into the bottom to retrieve items. I am 5'6" and can reach fine, but any shorter and it might be a problem.
    I have this one too and love it. My daughter is 5'4" and has to just about lower half her body in to get to the bottom. On the other hand, that's a lot of laundry in one load.
    ~Sharon

Quote Originally Posted by quilter1 View Post
    I'll be in the hunt for a new washer soon & this is good to know! I definately want a top loader & will be looking at ones with no agitator but at 5'2 I'll be sure to check I can reach the bottom! I have the same problem with furniture & my feet reaching the floor. We once bought a couch that I hadn't checked carefully enough & my feet didn't touch the floor when seated. The whole time we had it I used a small footstool!

Quote Originally Posted by Krisb View Post
    We just got an LG, not a top of the line model, either. It uses 1/2 the amount of detergent and the clothes are cleaner. It cleans by moving the entire tub to agitate the clothes. There is a rinse and spin cycle that I use for fabric. It sings a little song when it is done.
    That is the same one I got when we updated, love it and in fact we got out daughter the same set we got the matching dryer too. Love that it sings and it works so well, less water and cleaner clothtes.
    Juliebelle

I have a newer set by Samsung. Top loading washer. They work alright, but I do miss the soak feature.
    Be a blessing to others, as you may entertain angels unaware!

Blog Entries
    I guess I'm old school love,love top load washer with agitator my new one I don't like at all it has all n bells and whistles on it every time I stop it the thing drains all the water,detergents out don't like it at all. Now that the weather is nice I love using my old Wranger washer outside,,,,, Just Saying

Quote Originally Posted by CurliQ View Post
    I have this one too and love it. My daughter is 5'4" and has to just about lower half her body in to get to the bottom. On the other hand, that's a lot of laundry in one load.
    Too solve the problem of us shorter ladies (I am under 5'), my Dad (bless his heart) cut off an old broom handle he had. Made sure both ends were rounded and I use that with my old agitator washer. Hate when washcloths and socks are on bottom and can't reach . Just grab that broom handle and move the item to where I can reach it.
    Maybe they (vertically challenged - I just say I am short!) ladies can use this idea.
    I should also add initially the handle was for the old ringer washer I had.
    Where there is a will....there is a way
    Vi

I have the top loader with no agitator. I had angst for the first month. It is great, clothes are clean, saves water, soap and softener. At its last yearly check up the serviceman cut my soap back to only 4 tablespoons. Clothes are still clean. Good luck.
    Happy Quilting Grandma of 15, 3 Greats

I have a stacked top loader energy efficient Frigidaire and don't really like it. I'm glad not to have an agitator but not sure the clothes seem as clean and fresh smelling and the cycles takes longer. I find myself setting the dryer for 1 1/2 hrs to get a load dry and I'm NOT overloading it. Missing my old washer/dryer.

I have a Maytag Bravos top loader without an agitator and I love it. It's high efficiency, so it uses less water and less detergent, and it cleans wonderfully.
    I love the smell of Best Press in the morning!

Blog Entries
    I love it without the agitator, you can get big quilts and lots washed and the fabric does get super clean but not beat up
    Patski
    always learning

I have a top loading Maytag (now owned by Whirlpool, we were told when we bought it) with no agitator and I like it. It does use less detergent, we have super soft water from a community well and aerobic septic system so I have to watch and not use to much soap. The lids locks when you push the "ON" button but I can stop it by punching a button that unlocks it so you can put something else in. It wrings out a lot of water so less drying time. It does have a deep tub and I am short but manageable.
    Texas Sunshine, piney woods of NE Texas

Super Member citruscountyquilter's Avatar
    I have top load, no agitator and love it. We live in an area where water is quite expensive so really like the water saver aspect of the washer. Clothes come out clean. I use cold water for everything and not that much detergent. I don't like how the sheets twist but that is minor. You can open the lid if you pause the cycle so if you forget something that is an option but you have to wait for it to stop and hear the click of the lid unlocking. I would buy it again.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nativetexan View Post
    i have used both types, I like to soak.
    Just passing through!

I have a top load without an agitator and I really like it for washing large quilts. Yes, it will twist the quilts kind of like a doughnut with the top stretched out and curled under (dare I say it but like a condom) but, it cleans great. My old machine would twist them around like they were being wringed out. The only thing I have noticed is that I do need to use "Refresh" about once every 3 months or it gets a musty smell. I guess it holds water somewhere. Ours made a terrible grinding noise and we called the repair man who showed us a little "nut" that unscrewed off the bolt and fell on the floor. It made it off balance. He found the nut in the bottom of the washer and told DH how to fix it in case it happens again.

If you do any felting, non-agitator machines won't work. If you don't felt, the non-agitators are great.

It sounds like everyone loves their top loader without agitator. I HAtE mine. Yes the clothes come out clean. Whites take 79 minutes. The bulky setting does add lots more water but doesn't clean well at all. I cannot soak, not enough water. My husband is tall so when I remove a load of jeans, it is a long twisted mess. I have never had so much lint, I think it beats up my clothes. I thought I would get used to it but I mourn my front loader every time I use it. It's the Maytag Bravo and not the bottom model.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast