Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
We pay for T.V. service and nothing on >

We pay for T.V. service and nothing on

We pay for T.V. service and nothing on

Old 09-28-2010, 03:38 AM
Banned

My friends all think the same.
I, on the other hand, have a loaded tivo.
I love cop shows: Southland on TNT, Flashpoint, NCSI Los Angeles, Castle, Law and Order Criminal Intent, CSI New York, Bones, Rookie Blue, In Plain Sight, Closer and White Collar. PBS's Masterpiece Mystery.
I think Modern Family and Parenthood are heartwarming and wonderful, no violence. Also Life Unexpected

Dark Blue, Rescue Me, (both very violent) and Mad Men are dark and not to everyone's taste.
Of the new shows: most that I've seen are awful.
Blue Bloods and The Whole Truth look promising - cops and crime again
Baseball's almost over - I pay a fortune to watch the Mets play badly.
I'm a political junkie so tivo Morning Joe and the Daily Rundown, watch Special Edition and the Newshour everynight and all the talking heads on Sunday.

And therein lies the reason I bought an Arrow sewing table and the mini Kenmore to set up in my living room so I can watch all those tivos some day.
Old 09-28-2010, 04:25 AM

Love those free audio books from the library that I download and listen to on my MP3. So if there is nothing good on tv (most times), I shut it off and listen to a good novel. Bonus: I get a lot more things done 'cuz I'm not sitting in front of that tv. Extra Bonus: I move around a lot more.
Old 09-28-2010, 04:35 AM

on Saturdays and Sundays nothing to watch, so I do some studying or quilting or crocheting, and maybe sometimes rent a movie, or better yet get online and go to HULU and watch some oldie shows, get netflix movie online, read my email or here on this board, and still do my cutting out squares/triangles or crochet. and last but not least, maybe do some genealogy, I am behind in that as well!

Gollytwo those are my faves too, and I can catch them on HULU ........... not even worry about the TV

and can still do the quilting, crocheting and have a place to do it as well.
Old 09-28-2010, 04:58 AM

we have a dish and I watch alot of discovery, ID, history, and also have netflix, get 2 movies/week and my DH watches all the sports channels...thats about all he does watch
Old 09-28-2010, 05:11 AM

How we love a bedtime story. Mine are on Tuesday evening only. The quality of TV programing is so disappointing. I am just glad that I have begun to quilt as I can disappear into shapes and color with great absorption and be happier than relaxing watching TV.
Old 09-28-2010, 05:44 AM

This has been a grrr subject in our household for a very long time. I hate paying that kind of money to watch nothing. Every night its the same. THERE IS NOTHING ON, yet if you didn't pay it would be gone. I wouldn't mind but hubby can't live without it, thus the gggggrrrrrs.

Rita
Old 09-28-2010, 05:50 AM

Have you noticed how many more shopping channels that have appeared on Direct TV? It's really over the top. I record my favorite shows, so I can zip through the commercials. There are a few programs that I really like on HBO, but I question if it is really worth the monthly price.
Old 09-28-2010, 05:53 AM

Originally Posted by twistedsheets
I am thinking maybe cheaper to rent a dvd when I want to see something. They have machines her in Ca. for a 24hr rental for 99 cents. Just the basic channels for staelite are almost $70 a month . I'll miss my news but I guess I'll have to do internet to keep up with it. I have 2 news channels on my faves. I could see some video off that, and maybe lower my electric some more because I could unplug T.V. when not in use. Hmmm. I am going to give that some real serious thought! Talk to hubby and make decision, Cause I record his NCIS series when he on road workin, so he can watch on time off, on that dvr box.
Go to Hulu.com for the NCIS thing. There are some computer programs that allow you to download the hulu stuff to your computer but I don't know what it is.
Old 09-28-2010, 05:58 AM

Getting rid of "Pay T.V" has been a subject in this household for a very good while now. The main reason that I haven't is that DH loves the ball games. Some of them are now back on local stations so I'm moving closer and closer to putting up an antena (spelling ??) (perhaps if I can't spell it, I don't need it either) Our provider just recently dropped the Hallmark channel so I'm done with movies from T.V. Most are too hard to watch. My thoughts are cut out the cable bill and buy more quilting stuff.
Old 09-28-2010, 06:00 AM

Originally Posted by gollytwo
My friends all think the same.
I, on the other hand, have a loaded tivo.
I love cop shows: Southland on TNT, Flashpoint, NCSI Los Angeles, Castle, Law and Order Criminal Intent, CSI New York, Bones, Rookie Blue, In Plain Sight, Closer and White Collar. PBS's Masterpiece Mystery.
I think Modern Family and Parenthood are heartwarming and wonderful, no violence. Also Life Unexpected

Dark Blue, Rescue Me, (both very violent) and Mad Men are dark and not to everyone's taste.
Of the new shows: most that I've seen are awful.
Blue Bloods and The Whole Truth look promising - cops and crime again
Baseball's almost over - I pay a fortune to watch the Mets play badly.
I'm a political junkie so tivo Morning Joe and the Daily Rundown, watch Special Edition and the Newshour everynight and all the talking heads on Sunday.

And therein lies the reason I bought an Arrow sewing table and the mini Kenmore to set up in my living room so I can watch all those tivos some day.
You might also like some of USA's stuff.
Covert Affairs, Royal Pains, That one with the FBI and the thief. The burnt CIA agent in miami, who's show I can't remember.