Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • We pay for T.V. service and nothing on >
  • We pay for T.V. service and nothing on

• We pay for T.V. service and nothing on

Old 09-28-2010, 01:03 PM

I think that's their gimmick, they sell you a grouping of channels with there being maybe only one on there that you'll actually watch or are interested in, and then you have to pay every month for all those channels. It's a racket. I love to watch football and baseball and some of the football games they put on "pay per view", especially the really good games, and you pay extra and dearly for those.
    Old 09-28-2010, 01:08 PM

Hubby and I vowed to watch less t.v. this year; do more, be outside,reading, quilting ( I have 4 quilts going at the moment..1 hand project, and 3 pieced tops) learning new things, him Spanish, me knitting.. the content is so horrible anymore! nothing but, conflict, bad behavior, or expliotation of damaged people; I get plenty of reality everyday, I don't need to pay 60 $ a month for it
    Old 09-28-2010, 01:18 PM

I think everyone is beginning to feel the same of cable television. Just too many repeated shows and having to pay for many that you aren't interested in. Having basic cable is fine for some, but limited of what you can see. If you take what they call Basic Plus, you might as well have HBO or one of the paid movie channels, because the charge for Basic Plus is extremely high. I wanted to just have Basic for the channels that we like to watch... Hallmark,Lifetime etc. and found you do not get those with just Basic and to take the Basic Plus brings the price way up. It is outrageous and the deal they offer of late for Telephone is really not a deal as most Telephone companies offer long distance so paying $50 for phone is high when it used to be 9.99 w/o long distance, so paying $50 each month is paying for those that use long distance if you should not! Another way they cheat you. Entertainment comes with a high price tag for sure.
    Old 09-28-2010, 01:31 PM

I had to sign a two year contract and it is up this coming April.It is with a satellite dish company.I hate it and they have several reruns all the time.My husband gets so angry when the channels come on that do not speak English.We pay for channels that we can't even understand.Not after April!!
    Old 09-28-2010, 01:50 PM

It's one of my pet peeves also. Out here only satellite is available and I'm seeing the same show repeats I watched on cable in Tulsa 3 years ago. I'm ready to give mine up :thumbdown: :thumbdown: The rates keep going up and nothing to watch. Supposedly I get 120 channels and I'm only interested in less than 10. Why can't you just pay so much for each channel you want!
    Old 09-28-2010, 02:03 PM

I turned off our cable two years ago. Everything I want to watch I can find on the internet. We have the locals for free. My husband had been complaining some, he is a big sci-fi person. I checked into netflix about 6 months ago for him. He has been thrilled to death every since, all the sci-fi he could possibly want, westerns from way back when, good oldies like the waltons, dick van dyke, quantam leap.... lol we will never go back.
    Old 09-28-2010, 02:30 PM

If you were living by yourself, would you discontinue tv service??
    Old 09-28-2010, 02:49 PM

with the locals for free, the power of so many shows for free on the internet and netflix streaming for 15 dollars a month. Yes I would. :)
    Old 09-28-2010, 03:32 PM
    Banned

Originally Posted by Grandmama Pat
    Whatever happened to the good old sit-coms that would make you laugh once in awhile and had good subject matter? And, the variety shows? Remember the Andy Williams Show, the Jack Benny Show, The Red Skelton Show? Those were so entertaining and the whole family could watch them. Nowadays there's so much bad language on the TV that I won't allow my 7-year old grandson to watch it. It even makes my ears turn red!
    Try Modern Family and Parenthood - both really nice strong family shows - good plots, usually and fine acting/
    Old 09-28-2010, 04:08 PM

In California the T.V. stations went to digital. So an antenna on your roof didn't matter. You had to go out and upgrade your T.V. to a digital T.V. (money) and buy a digital receiver(money) and when you started adding stuff up was it worth the money to receive a few local stations? And then there was the how do you hook all this stuff up. Yeah they offered some certificates to get the digital box at a reduced rate. Most didn't get it tho tho applied in time. Some news stations graciously went to Seniors homes and got them up to recieve the signal. But maybe a handful got the help. When I moved Mom back into this apartment so the hospital nearby to get her rushed to, ATand T offered U-verse T.V. 99.95 a month. Unlimited long distance phone service, call waiting w/ internet and satelite T.V. Did it bill out like that NO. The phone and internet w/ taxes runs just under $70 and the t.v. was billed separately thus just under $70. No thrills t.v. no hbo or other movie channels. Signed a 2 yr contract also. which will end soon.I went round and round about why the bill was separate and threatened to cancel They could care less said go ahead. I will still have to pay off the money for the CONTRACT. So what do you do. Mom needed the T.V. she was bedridden. So now I myself am here alone since she passed 99 % of the time. My hubby is against me cancelling as he figures I will go Looney tunes if I don't atleast have the T.V. as human voice whether or not anything is on. And he wants to see the shows when he comes of the road he has me record on dvr. Yes there are a few I like also.But my debate is over is it really worth the expense versus my sanity(that is hubbys defense MY SANITY. However he said if he comes home and finds I am having a torrid love affair with some news caster or some character off a show , he will reconsider, as he is having the nearest PSYCHO WARD evaluate me! Until then I have been told the the service stays on.