Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: webshots is going away

I was shocked to see last week that webshots will be closing, but thrilled that the original crew would be taking over.
    Then reality set in.
    Their Smile site ideas are based on photosharing in social websites. If you want someone to see something you have to upload it there from smile.
    Nothing on Smile will be open to the public.

Fine by me, I don't have time for social networking sites. But when I downloaded the Smile software to capture the images off Webshots (I have about 20 albums and over 1K of photos, and a paid subscription) I was appalled.

It pulled everything off my computer too, as mentioned above without any option not to, and what I keep on my computer is ebay and temporary use images, I certainly don't want them cluttering up photo or wallpaper software.
    And then the software doesn't work anything like the website examples, there aren't any options to set wallpaper, or delete...And they've said there will be 4 new wallpapers sent to the software every day (expiring in 60 days) but i haven't gotten any.

I expect those complaints are from releasing software that wasn't ready. But I will surely miss Webshots.
    So far my webshots software is still working, keeping my fingers crossed as I have so many gorgeous wallpapers stored there.

edited to add a little later...Webshots just uninstalled from my computer ...automatically, along with millions of other peoples.
    All those wallpapers...
    Last edited by KalamaQuilts; 10-11-2012 at 09:25 AM.

MTS
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by KalamaQuilts View Post
    But when I downloaded the Smile software to capture the images off Webshots (I have about 20 albums and over 1K of photos, and a paid subscription) I was appalled.
    Yeah, there's a difference between downloading to the webshots software and downloading a regular .zip file loaded with .jpgs.
    You pictures should still be on webshots.com so you can use the alternative download procedure (the one referenced upthread).

I had never reinstalled the software after my laptop crashed a couple of years ago.
    I can't believe it just uninstalled off yours.

Is the file that contained the pictures within that software still on your hard drive?
    I read about a way to convert it to .jpgs - it's on the webshots/smile blog.
    It didn't pertain to me so I bypassed it.

I discovered this last week when I went to WS to check something. Unfortunately I clicked on the link for more information and apparently they downloaded something onto my computer. It removed my WS desktop and kept trying to install the Smile desktop, which I didn't want. Every time I'd boot my computer that msg would come up that it was looking for Webshots. I finally realized they'd installed something and went looking for it. Nothing under Smile but under Webshots I found a Webshots Supplant folder and a Webshots Supplant Launcher.exe. I deleted both those and the popup stopped. I was furious that they put something on my computer without my knowledge or permission. I'd had a lot of WS pics that I'd downloaded over the years and when my computer crashed and we had to reinstall everything, I'd saved all the Webshots Data (with the pic files) onto an external hard drive. So apparently they couldn't get to that. I went in and found them all intact. Of course they're all .wbz files but I'd downloaded a free program. Ultimate Webshots Converter, last year that someone had told me about. It converts the WS pic files to .jpgs. I went into all the WS pic files and converted all to jpgs. I found that I can still use them as wallpaper by opening a jpg in the Windows Picture and Fax Viewer and right clicking on it, you can set it as the desktop background. When they initially zapped all my WS data, suddenly my wallpaper disappeared! A slight shock! There's one particular pic I love....a sea/beach scene, and I had saved it elsewhere so was able to reinstall it as wallpaper.

I was so mad I could have throttled them! I posted it to Treadleon, one of my sm lists and people there started trying to get their pics off. If you haven't, check out the Smile blog.....on the WS page at the top. There have been over a K of very upset WS users screaming at them and threatening lawsuits etc. As many said on the blog, I don't want to use WS as a photo storage space....I have 2 external HD's for that and there are many other sites for that too. WS was a community in many ways....on TO we could post pics of our quilts, sm's etc. and share them, make comments etc. I also used it to post pics of things I was selling on e.g. Craigslist and put in a link to see more pics of the item. Those original owners may think they're doing something special but they don't seem to have any idea of how people were using the site. I did find that I could go in and delete my pics and albums and since I didn't have a lot there and have it all on my computer, it was no loss. But there's a woman on TO who does research on White sm's who had an enormous presence on WS and is having a hard time getting all her stuff off it.

Hope everyone gets their stuff off before it disappears!!

Quote Originally Posted by MTS View Post
    I would suggest....reading the posts in this thread.
    I have read the posts. I don't want to use it to store pics. Just use it for wallpaper and screensavers. I know they will charge for storing pics.
    Margaret

"If the devil could dance in empty pockets, he'd have a ball in mine."

Life is a coin. You can spend it any way you wish but you can only spend it once.

MTS
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieLou View Post
    I have read the posts. I don't want to use it to store pics. Just use it for wallpaper and screensavers. I know they will charge for storing pics.

I have been putting all our photos on flash drives. Matter of fact, am going to get a 32 GB as I am scanning 50 years of of our photographs that are in 17 boxes (in chronological order). I love them and I can find anything I want. Our close friends are in their own folders and when I want to rehash our days together, I just pop it into the computer, and have a slide show. One couple is gone now but we can travel through our lives together, with memories. The past 12 years are from digital cameras, I just downloaded them from discs onto the flash drives. All of our vintage photographs are on the flash drives too, some are 120 years old.

This morning a icon appeared on my screen for the Webshots Widget. A little box that shows the photos of the day (of which there are no new ones coming)...useless. But I did manage to get into Webshots and delete all the albums that were there for sharing with other members

I then found the http://www.softpedia.com/reviews/win...w-108874.shtml
    Ultimate Webshots converter mentioned above and I'll see how long it takes me to muddle through. This review is pretty step by step, and I'm really hoping all my wallpaper isn't gone.

If you decide to use the 'Ultimate Webshots converter' watch closely as you go through the six pages in the pop-up
    UNselect all the Babylon stuff boxes or you'll find your browser quite changed.
    DECLINE (on the left bottom) when asked to accept advert tracking focused on your browsing habits. It will then install.

Things coming and going from my computer is a bizarre way for a company to do business.

If you have a paid Webshots account, it is very simple to get your money back. Click the ACCOUNT button on your webshots page, the link is right under the line that says when the account was paid.

Just to update a few days later.
    I'm STILL trying to get the smile crap off my hard drive. It just keeps coming back.
    I'd advise against the Ultimate Webshots converter
    Once you down load it you can't use it unless you pay for it.
    It also includes a lot of spy/malware even when you opt out of everything you can find to unselect.

The link on your Webshots account page to cancel account and get refund, now goes directly to a Smile page which does Not give you any refund options.
    You have to use this address
    http://help.getsmileapp.com/customer...uest-a-refund-
    Very simple form.

what a total foobar.
    Is there ANYWHERE else on the web to get nice wallpaper?
    I'm hoping some internet genius is working on a site as we speak.
    I do understand that the old site was too big and too complicated to fix and renew. But they could have just left it as a unmanned companion site, after all, they bought it.

MTS
    Banned
    http://blog.webshots.com/2012/10/lat...e-by-webshots/

Our longtime photo editor Penny Adams is continuing to license professional photos that we are releasing under the new Webshots Daily photo stream. We’ve also introduced the Smile Desktop (which we continue to make it easier to use – with more robust wallpaper and screensaver features).

As I never used those features on Webshots, I don't know if that's something that would work for you.

(As is often the case, the comments are more fun to read than the actual blog post.
    I like the Smile=Slime)

I didn't download the SMILE desktop version - thankfully - but I can see it's causing havoc on computers all over.

PPP, for sure.

(Piss-Poor Planning)
    Last edited by MTS; 10-18-2012 at 06:35 AM.

MTS
    Banned
    An update:
    http://blog.webshots.com/2012/10/message-to-webshots-customers/

Blah, blah, blah.
    Blah.
    Blah, blah.

The deadline is still Dec 1 if you want to download (to your hard drive) or transfer (to Smile) your personal pictures off the old webshots site before they go poof permanently.

I don't have winzip on my computer. Is there a free zip file reader I can download to see my picture files? I managed to download RealPlayer so that I could see the 4 videos I had stored there, thanks in advance for help. I have read all of the postings here but I don't really understand the one about "extracting"

MTS
    Banned
    So you've already downloaded the zip files but not extracted the individual photo pics yet?

If not, I would suggest you at least download the zip files of your photos via this link
    http://help.getsmileapp.com/customer...os-and-videos-

That way, at least you have your pics, regardless of any changes made to the webshots.com site.

Are you on a PC or a Mac?
    Running windows?
    Because the extractor always comes as part of Windows (or at least seems to).
    I can't think of once in the last 20 years that I ever downloaded it separately - it's just always been there.

How about this one:
    http://www.7-zip.org/
    Some nice reviews out there.
    Last edited by MTS; 10-27-2012 at 11:16 AM.

I have the files downloaded (at least they pop up in the download box) but can't open zip files. I have windows xp home version 2002 sp3, thanks on a pc.

MTS
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by thimblebug6000 View Post
    I have the files downloaded (at least they pop up in the download box) but can't open zip files. I have windows xp home version 2002 sp3, thanks on a pc.
    Weird. I guess I just took it for granted.
    I have a new laptop sitting in a box - I'll have to remember to check to see if winzip was preloaded or not.

But try the link in my previous post for 7-zip - after reading some the reviews, I might even download it.

Actually I am going back in there now & saving each file as I had previously just clicked on the open with ... 7 at 12 minutes each, not so much fun!

MTS
    Banned
    Wow, how many pics do you have?

I had under 300, they came down in one zip file, and it took seconds to extract.

Well, at least you'll have them.

Nope, not fun at all.

YES.... I do have them all & now they are on my desktop & I have 3 of the files saved to a disk so far but taking a break from that, thanks for all your help! I had ALOT of photos on there, every trip, wedding, quilt show etc.

MTS
    Banned
    Just an FYI -

The first download I did of my pictures back in October apparently did NOT include all of them.
    For some unknown reason I decided yesterday to check a few of the pictures and went into the folders extracted from the original zipfile.
    And I started noticing some omissions.

I redid the "download" file process, and this time they ALL were included.

So just a suggestion to make sure that you at least have a folder for every webshots album.
    I went further and reconciled the photo count between the two (because I'm obsessed that way).

And then I CAP-ed all the descriptions from Webshots into a word document - time consuming, but you sort of get into the zone.
    Again, all my pictures were of my quilts, so I didn't want to have to remember or dig out and type again all the relevant information - year made, dimensions, source, recipients, etc.

Whenever I find a new home for the photos - well, IF I find a new home - I can just CAP the text back in over there.

Just a few more days until Webshots is gone.

Here's the official message in case you haven't yet downloaded your photos:
    http://help.getsmileapp.com/customer...on-december-1-

Thanks for reminding me . I need to do that today.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2