Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Weight loss challenge with a prize......Sept sign up >

Weight loss challenge with a prize......Sept sign up

Weight loss challenge with a prize......Sept sign up

Old 09-08-2010, 07:09 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by CAROLJ
I have been soooooooooo hungry the last couple of days. I just need to hang in there, it will go away. I even ate prezels (aghhhhhhh!) trying to stave off the hunger. Plus I'm really tired.

If I was hungry and losing I would feel better, but I have hit a plateau.

I haven't caved in, I keep telling myself tomorrow will be another day.

I wish it was Fri!
People might think this is gross and make them gag but when I am STARVING and nothing seems to satisfy the hunger I have about 4 oz of warm milk. I don't think I could drink warm mk plain so I put about 1/4 tsp molasses in it or sprinkle a little cinnamon in it. It works. I don't know if it the protein in the milk or the warmth of it.
Old 09-08-2010, 09:43 PM

I keep myself from feeling hungry by picking low cal entres having 1 serving and a large salad for lunch and supper. I have found lots of recipes online, in magazines such as healthy cooking by taste of home, the taste of home web site and the biggest looser books and magazines.
I find I always have a few cal. left in the evening for a snack. such as a piece of toast and peanut butter or a piece of fruit and a cup of tea with cream and sugar.
Check out some of these sources for recipes there are some really good ones.
Old 09-09-2010, 06:06 AM

Originally Posted by trupeach1
Originally Posted by CAROLJ
I have been soooooooooo hungry the last couple of days. I just need to hang in there, it will go away. I even ate prezels (aghhhhhhh!) trying to stave off the hunger. Plus I'm really tired.

If I was hungry and losing I would feel better, but I have hit a plateau.

I haven't caved in, I keep telling myself tomorrow will be another day.

I wish it was Fri!
People might think this is gross and make them gag but when I am STARVING and nothing seems to satisfy the hunger I have about 4 oz of warm milk. I don't think I could drink warm mk plain so I put about 1/4 tsp molasses in it or sprinkle a little cinnamon in it. It works. I don't know if it the protein in the milk or the warmth of it.

You should not be "STARVING" at any point during your day. Letting ourselves get to that point (or the opposite, what I call "Thanksgiving Full") is what gets us into trouble. Eat smaller meals, more often during the day (every couple of hours) and try to stay away from the extreme ends of the hunger scale.
Old 09-09-2010, 06:19 AM

OK folks. Here is my newest and most favoritest recipe from the Hungry Girl. It is so easy and so yummy. At 112 calories you can have two of them for lunch or dinner even!
Yumm-o!

Missy
Cheesy Chicken Egg Rolls

PER SERVING (1 egg roll): 112 calories, 1.5g fat, 334mg sodium, 17g carbs, 1g fiber, 1.5g sugars, 8.5g protein -- POINTS® value 2*

Ever had an egg roll with caramelized onions, spinach, and cheese? What's that? You have? Then you're from THE FUTURE!

Ingredients:
1/2 tbsp. light whipped butter or light buttery spread (like Brummel & Brown)
1 sweet onion, thinly sliced
1/4 tsp. salt
2 cups spinach leaves
1/2 tbsp. chopped garlic
4 oz. cooked skinless lean chicken breast, chopped
2 wedges The Laughing Cow Light Creamy Swiss cheese
6 large square egg roll wrappers (stocked with the refrigerated Asian items in the supermarket)

Directions:
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Prepare a large baking sheet by spraying it lightly with nonstick spray; set aside.

Place butter in a skillet and bring to medium-high heat on the stove. Once butter has coated the bottom of the skillet, add onion and salt. Stirring often, sauté until softened and slightly browned, about 6 minutes.

Reduce heat to medium low. Stirring occasionally, continue to cook onion until browned and caramelized, about 15 minutes. Transfer to a large bowl and set aside.

Return skillet to medium-high heat on the stove. Add spinach and garlic and cook until the spinach has wilted, 1 - 2 minutes. Transfer mixture to the large bowl.

Add chicken and cheese to the bowl, breaking the cheese wedges into pieces as you add them. Mix thoroughly and set aside.

Place two egg roll wrappers on a clean, dry surface. Evenly distribute 1/6th of the mixture (about 1/3 cup) in a horizontal row a little below the center of each wrapper. Moisten all four edges of each wrapper by dabbing your fingers in water and going over the edges smoothly.

Fold in the sides of each wrapper about an inch toward the middle, over the filling to prevent it from escaping. Roll the bottom of each wrapper up around the mixture; continue rolling until you reach the top. Seal the outside edge with another dab of water. Carefully transfer egg rolls to the baking sheet.

Repeat with remaining wrappers and filling, making sure you have a clean, dry surface each time. Spray the tops of the egg rolls with nonstick spray.

Bake in the oven until golden brown, about 25 minutes.

Allow to cool slightly. Slice into halves, if you like, and dig in!

MAKES 6 SERVINGS
Attached Thumbnails attachment-114170.jpe  
Old 09-09-2010, 08:02 AM

Ok folks. Time for my morning funnies. If you have seen them before then oops for repeating something you have heard before but if you haven't, put on your seat belt we are going for a ride. HEHEHE!

Can you cry under water?

How important does a person have to be before they are considered assassinated instead of just murdered?

Why do you have to "put your two cents in"... But it's only a "penny for your thoughts"? Where's that extra penny going to?

Once you're in heaven, do you get stuck wearing the clothes you were buried in for eternity?

Why does a round pizza come in a square box ?

What disease did cured ham actually have?

How is it that we put man on the moon before we figured out it would be a good idea to put wheels on luggage?

Why is it that people say they "slept like a baby " when babies wake up like every two hours?

If a deaf person has to go to court, is it still called a hearing?

Why are you IN a movie, but you're ON TV?

Why do people pay to go up tall buildings and then put money in binoculars to look at things on the ground?

Why do doctors leave the room while you change? They're going to see you naked anyway..

Why is "bra" singular and "panties" plural?

Why do toasters always have a setting that burns the toast to a horrible crisp, which no decent human being would eat?

If Jimmy cracks corn and no one cares, why is there a stupid song about him?

Can a hearse carrying a corpse drive in the carpool lane ?

If the professor on Gilligan's Island can make a radio out of a coconut, why can't he fix a hole in a boat?

Why does Goofy stand erect while Pluto remains on all fours? They're both dogs!

If Wile E. Coyote had enough money to buy all that ACME crap, why didn't he just buy dinner?

If corn oil is made from corn, and vegetable oil is made from vegetables, what is baby oil made from?

If electricity comes from electrons, does morality come from morons?

Do the Alphabet song and Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star have the same tune?

Why did you just try singing the two songs above?

Why do they call it an asteroid when it's outside the hemisphere, but call it a hemorrhoid when it's in your aSS?

Did you ever notice that when you blow in a dog's face, he gets mad at you, but when you take him for a car ride, he sticks his head out the window?
Attached Thumbnails attachment-114205.jpe  
Old 09-09-2010, 09:04 AM

Here is Missy's lesson of the day. Yeah. I know. I should be more medicated but still. I learned this in my new book called Read It Before You Eat It by Bonnie Taub-Dix. It was just released on Sept 1st and I cannot recommend this book enough.

Anyway, back to the lesson.

This is about unsaturated fats, saturated fats and trans fats.

UNSATURATED FATS:

Unsaturated fats are listed under total fat. These are fats that are liquid at room temperature. Foods high in unsaturated fat are vegetable oils, nuts and fish. Unsaturated fats, like olive and canola oils, are often called "good fats" because they don't raise cholesterol levels like saturated and trans fats do.

SATURATED FATS:

Saturated fat comes from animal products like butter, cheese, whole milk, ice cream and meats. Although saturated fats are harmful to your health, trans fats are even more dangerous because not only do they raise the bad cholesterol but they reduce the good cholesterol. Saturated fats should account for less than 10% of your total calories for the day, and your trans fat intake should be zero. Both saturated and trans fats are solid at room temperature.

Now that manufacturers are trying to eliminate trans fats, there has been an increase in the use of saturated fats such as palm, palm kernel, and coconut oil.

TRANS FAT:

Although trans fats are found naturally in some foods, like meat, butter, and whole milk, most trans fatty acids in the diet come from partially hydrogenated fats that are man-made, such as shortening and stick margarine. The hydrogenation process makes fats more stable, thereby extending their shelf life, but eating trans fats will not extend your life. Quite the contrary: Trans fats raise harmful LDL (bad) cholesterol levels and reduce protective HDL (good) cholesterol levels. The body is unable to burn or use trans fats, causing them to build up and clog arteries that lead to the heart and brain. Although saturated fat is dangerous to our health and raises LDL levels too, saturated fat does not diminish the good HDL levels as trans fats do.
Old 09-09-2010, 09:09 AM
Banned

Missy I love you!!!!!!! You have me peeing in my pants especially the more medicated crack!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-09-2010, 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by trupeach1
Missy I love you!!!!!!! You have me peeing in my pants especially the more medicated crack!!!!!!!!!!!
Heh. I am who I am and I do what I do. My mom says I am a nutcase. She may be right.

I so love you too!!!!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Attached Thumbnails attachment-114221.jpe  
Old 09-09-2010, 10:27 AM

Have not done well these past few days. Just nibbling on lots of things. Luckily I have mainly fruits so that is good. Still I have gained a little back so must watch what I am eating and start writing it down again. It is so true about journalling your food intake. If you have to write it down you are less likely to eat it.
Old 09-09-2010, 01:15 PM

Missy you are too funny! Keep em comin.