Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Weight loss challenge with a prize......Sept sign up >

Weight loss challenge with a prize......Sept sign up

Weight loss challenge with a prize......Sept sign up

Old 09-21-2010, 07:05 AM

Havent been posting much this month. Things settled in with my parents, a little. They are still not "happy" but at least my mom hasnt been abusive. It's like having three year olds. I had to referee an argument the other day about whether my Dad could take his pills willy-nilly. NO, you will take them on schedule with food.

The other good news is that I had an abnormal mammogram and it appears to be nothing significant. Im meeting with a new Doc tomorrow because the last Doc's office was too disorganized to deal with trying to get results and scheduling tests etc. I cant imagine hassling with them if this had been cancer.

I have been cheating like mad and of course have gained weight instead of losing it. I just got in a chocolate mode and could not break it. UNTIL last night when I weighed in. Back to my 1200 calories.
Old 09-21-2010, 07:33 AM

Welcome back. We are all right behind you. Let us know what we can do to help. It seems to me that now more than ever, your focus must be to get and keep yourself as healthy as possible by making good choices. It is your best offense against illnes and your best defense against stress. Stay in touch.
Old 09-21-2010, 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by sewred
thank you i just get so depressed when it comes to my weight and eating. Just last night my mom told me " You know you need to lose weight, you're gonna have a heart attack ! " " With Buddy's (hubby) diabetes and you're being heavy there won't be anybody around for your girls !" "you worry me to death!" That sucked big time and made me so depressed and sad!
Oh no! I am so sorry for what you heard from your mom. I would have been down too if I had been told those things.

Hang in there though! You will lose those couple pounds plus more. Today is a new day for new choices and I am confident you will do great.

Missy
Old 09-21-2010, 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by Lefty1062
Good morning all. Just checking in. I have lost 9lbs so far this month! This week I added taking my dog for a walk for about a mile everyday. Holy smokes I am out of shape big time! I can really feel how my extra weight is taking antoll on me. But I am sure it will get easier as I go. Have a great day!
Melodie
Oh Melodie!! This is wonderful news!! I am so excited for you. Nine pounds is a HUGE accomplishment. Yeah for you!

Missy
Old 09-21-2010, 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by Gwyn
When I was 8 years old the family doctor read me the riot act about being over weight and the new 'diet' I was going to have to stick too. In front of a room full of people. I was so mortified I didn't speak for nearly 2 days. From then on, and to this day, I dread the doctor!. I'm always afraid they will want to talk weight. One time my father said he had met someone who had become interested with how little food she could get by on. She had lost a terrific amount of weight and looked really go , he said. I avoided meeting my dad on campus for nearly 2 months because I thought he was going to introduce me to this girl in front of a lot of people.

Anyway, 'How little she could get by on' started me thinking and before I knew it, I was eating these little tiny meals like, a single soda cracker and a piece of lettuce and calling it 'lunch' I stopped eating lunch and breakfast completely and started exercising and riding my bike like crazy. If I ate, I threw up by sticking a fork handle down my throat. This behavior has continued for so many years (at least 40) that now I have fewer than 10 teeth. My metabulish is so slow, 5-800 calories a day lets me gain weight. My back, knees, shoulders, and finger joints show signs of advanced age. My body thinks it is 67 but I'm 55.
I told my mother all of this this past week. She didn't know how deeply I had been affected by things like the doctor and his approach to shaming me into submission. If a scale is where I can use it, whether or not I can eat will be determined by the number on the scale. I hate food and I hate eating. If they had a drink or apill I could swallow and get all I needed, I would. Never eating again would be great! But...
Not eating is not okay. Hating food is not okay. Being angry is really not okay. So...
I am learning to like food again. I love tea time. I like making a plate look pretty and I am learning to enjoy the flavors. It takes work but you and I can come to terms with this.

Since arriving at my mother's home 2.5 weeks ago, I have enjoyed the pleasure of black bread with tuna, rye bread with ham and swiss cheese, a wonderful pot roast without potatoes, but asparagus instead. I've learned how to be able to have a piece of pie or cake on a birthday and not send my blood sugars into outer space. And I have learned the joy of helping another person develop a better relationship with food.

I'm not healthy yet, but I'm lots closer than 3 weeks ago. I've been living in the controlled environment of my mother's home and not at home with my family which has made things lots easier. I finally feel like I'm in control of my eating and that I can change the coarse of my life, if I want too.

Thanks to all of you who support me here. I will need your help, love and prayers as I return to my home and family. Slipping back into old habits is simply not an option.
I can understand how words can hurt. I have been told for many years all about how I am going to die if I do not lose weight. It is so hard sometimes.

You always have my love, my prayers and always you have my support. Hang in there!

Missy
Old 09-21-2010, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by Gwyn
When I was 8 years old the family doctor read me the riot act about being over weight and the new 'diet' I was going to have to stick too. In front of a room full of people. I was so mortified I didn't speak for nearly 2 days. From then on, and to this day, I dread the doctor!. I'm always afraid they will want to talk weight. One time my father said he had met someone who had become interested with how little food she could get by on. She had lost a terrific amount of weight and looked really go , he said. I avoided meeting my dad on campus for nearly 2 months because I thought he was going to introduce me to this girl in front of a lot of people.

Anyway, 'How little she could get by on' started me thinking and before I knew it, I was eating these little tiny meals like, a single soda cracker and a piece of lettuce and calling it 'lunch' I stopped eating lunch and breakfast completely and started exercising and riding my bike like crazy. If I ate, I threw up by sticking a fork handle down my throat. This behavior has continued for so many years (at least 40) that now I have fewer than 10 teeth. My metabulish is so slow, 5-800 calories a day lets me gain weight. My back, knees, shoulders, and finger joints show signs of advanced age. My body thinks it is 67 but I'm 55.
I told my mother all of this this past week. She didn't know how deeply I had been affected by things like the doctor and his approach to shaming me into submission. If a scale is where I can use it, whether or not I can eat will be determined by the number on the scale. I hate food and I hate eating. If they had a drink or apill I could swallow and get all I needed, I would. Never eating again would be great! But...
Not eating is not okay. Hating food is not okay. Being angry is really not okay. So...
I am learning to like food again. I love tea time. I like making a plate look pretty and I am learning to enjoy the flavors. It takes work but you and I can come to terms with this.

Since arriving at my mother's home 2.5 weeks ago, I have enjoyed the pleasure of black bread with tuna, rye bread with ham and swiss cheese, a wonderful pot roast without potatoes, but asparagus instead. I've learned how to be able to have a piece of pie or cake on a birthday and not send my blood sugars into outer space. And I have learned the joy of helping another person develop a better relationship with food.

I'm not healthy yet, but I'm lots closer than 3 weeks ago. I've been living in the controlled environment of my mother's home and not at home with my family which has made things lots easier. I finally feel like I'm in control of my eating and that I can change the coarse of my life, if I want too.

Thanks to all of you who support me here. I will need your help, love and prayers as I return to my home and family. Slipping back into old habits is simply not an option.
I've read your story and I will say it takes a lot of courage to do what you are doing now. Good for you, girl. I will keep you in my prayers and know you will do better from now on. God bless
Donna
Old 09-21-2010, 11:51 AM

I checked in with WW today and guess what------I LOST 5.5 LBS. JUST THIS LAST WEEK. YAY!!!!! I am so excited about this. I know it won't be 5 lbs every week but I needed a good loss to get me going again after last month. My yoga class is going well and I love it. However, at my age, I am a little sore but it is good for my fybromyalgia since it attacks the muscles and now they are getting stretched. My grandson is a physical therapist and he told me to move my body much more than I am. So, that's what I'm doing other than walking.

Anyway, I'm a happy camper this week.
Donna
Old 09-21-2010, 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by dgrindey
I checked in with WW today and guess what------I LOST 5.5 LBS. JUST THIS LAST WEEK. YAY!!!!! I am so excited about this. I know it won't be 5 lbs every week but I needed a good loss to get me going again after last month. My yoga class is going well and I love it. However, at my age, I am a little sore but it is good for my fybromyalgia since it attacks the muscles and now they are getting stretched. My grandson is a physical therapist and he told me to move my body much more than I am. So, that's what I'm doing other than walking.

Anyway, I'm a happy camper this week.
Donna
Donna,

Way. To. Go. Girl! You are rockin! I am so proud of you. You are right you won't always lose 5 pounds but you are on the right track and if WW is working for you then keep on keeping on!!

YAY!! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Missy
Old 09-21-2010, 02:00 PM

Sewred, don't let your mom upset you, I don't think she means to hurt you she only wants to help. Maybe if you told her how you are trying to lose weight and what she said really hurt. Tell her you really needed her support in the weight loss. My mom would say things like that to me and it does hurt. We are here for you and will give you all the support and encouragement you need.
Keep up the hard work and stay in touch with us.
Gail
Old 09-21-2010, 02:03 PM

Hey Melodie good job. Keep it up
Gail