Westie? Maltese? or what?

Old 01-31-2012, 03:41 PM

As a breeder, there is a small part of me that shudders when people price shop puppies. While I understand completely that finances are an important part of life, the breeder in me knows what happens when people price shop for puppies. There are "breeders" and there are people who simply "breed dogs" - there is a great amount of difference between the two, and like most things in life, you get what you pay for. Not the time or place for the "why's" to my statement.

So ... my best suggestion is to first do the research on which breed is right for you, then contact the rescue groups for that breed(s) and inquire about available dogs. Typically, most breed rescue groups require a small fee (which is often tax deductible), and will interview you to make sure that your home is suited to a dog, and to match the right dog to your needs/desires. Rescue people are generally very adept at making sound decisions about which animal will work well in your situation (ie a dog that is already accustomed to cats for example).

here is the link to the National Club's (West Highland White Terrier Club of America) rescue site.
http://www.westieclubamerica.com/rescue/index.html

here is a link to the Maltese rescue site (American Maltese Association).
http://www.americanmalteserescue.org/

And in case you wish to consider another breed, here is a general link to American Kennel Club's list of ALL rescue groups that are affiliated with an AKC member breed Club.
http://www.akc.org/breeds/rescue.cfm

Good luck in your search. I hope you are able to make a needy dog a good home.

Sue
Old 01-31-2012, 03:55 PM

We had an adorable Maltese that we loved, but----she was so "house trained?" we had to put a piece of carpet on the lawn for her to potty on! She had an allergy problem and kept the back half of her fur chewed off so that she always looked like she had been half shaved. We have a little rescue dog now that if half Chi and half dach who is 11 labs, has lots of energy outside, but will lay beside you for hours on end to cuddle. Our best dogs over a period of 40 years have always been rescue dogs. They have always seemed to know we saved their lives and loved us devotedly.

Last edited by TanyaL; 01-31-2012 at 03:59 PM.
Old 01-31-2012, 04:05 PM

What kind of puppies do you breed DogHouseMom?

I've been researching the different types of "little" dogs (those under 10 lbs.). I want a lap dog, one that doesn't shed very much and one that won't break my back when I pick it up (lol) as well as have short legs to run in my 1 br apt. Anyway, I've decided on a Yorkie. She is still cooking (birth in about 2 wks) and I will have pick of the litter. (My g/f is friends with the puppy's daddy.) I am SEW excited...the both of us will go to puppy obedience school as I have never kept a dog in the house. I have already named her as I dreamed she was sleeping curled up with me in bed and I was talking to her and calling her "Maggie"....am I a silly old lady? Probably -- but I think a dog will make a better companion at this stage in my life than a cat.
Old 01-31-2012, 04:07 PM

Sorry , but I like the bigs dogs! Can you tell? Mine was a rescue , so please find a rescue group if you are looking for a breed specific dog.
Old 01-31-2012, 04:09 PM
Power Poster

Personally I would avoid the terrier group as by nature they are extraordinarily high energy dogs. Maltese have grooming expenses (as do most long haired breeds), I have friends with Maltese and they can be a bit snarly/nippy. I would contact a Rescue group. Chihuahuas are excellent, small, reasonably low maintenance dogs (shorthaired is preferable). I have a chi x JRussell and he sticks to me like glue (he will even wait by the bathroom door....which at first was a bit disconcerting). My sister has a poodle which is also and excellent little dog, but again there are grooming expenses to consider. You may be lucky enough to find an older dog through a rescue group....these are not just strays or abandoned dogs with problems....some end up there because their owner may have died, become ill or has to go into care.
Old 01-31-2012, 04:15 PM

I agree!! there are so many babies that are just dumped, that just need that special family. Makes me so sad that people mistreat these animals. We have always gone to humane society and/or no-kill shelters and have two of the best dogs on earth! good luck in your search.
Originally Posted by Susanna10 View Post
Go to the Humane Society. Wonderful dogs.
Old 01-31-2012, 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by Lori S View Post
Sorry , but I like the bigs dogs! Can you tell? Mine was a rescue , so please find a rescue group if you are looking for a breed specific dog.
I like the bigger dogs too. All of our dogs were Humane Society, or rescue dogs. I found a boxer/pit bull mix in 2000 abandoned at a rest stop on the interstate. She was the most special dog I've ever had. Sadly, we put her down Thanksgiving Day 2010. We now have another boxer. She's very sweet, very people oriented, and at 40 lbs, she thinks she's a lap dog.
Old 01-31-2012, 06:39 PM

We have had 3 Westies and loved them dearly. They require maintenance, just as any pet does. Ours were house dogs, so they had regular baths and brushing. However, they had issues with allergies here in the Houston area and needed prescriptions. Grass & fleas were the main allergy for ours. Since you already have large outside dogs, a Westie can take care of itself in most disagreements with them, because it is a heavier small dog. Yes, Westies are Terriers and are energetic, but our couch potatoes sure did like to cuddle, followed us routinely, plus gave us comfort at the end of a work day. They were good companions, plus, when they barked at a stranger at the door (we trained them to do that), they sounded much larger than a 15+ lb. fur ball. If we adopted another dog, we would get a Westie again.

Try the rescue places first, even for a pure bred dog. They'll appreciate you more. Good luck on whatever companion you choose!
Old 01-31-2012, 07:00 PM
Power Poster

In my opinion, shelter dogs are just the result of someone else's lack of training. My avatar dog - a chihuahua is from the humane society, I have had her for 1-1/2yrs., still wets in her crate and as stubborn as a mule, weighs 7lb.s.
Over the years I had two sets of toy poodles, they are very smart and people pleasers. They do need grooming but, are great dogs and do not shed, they are well worth the grooming fees.
Old 01-31-2012, 07:13 PM

Go to Humane Society or a rescue group.