Westie? Maltese? or what?

Old 01-31-2012, 07:18 PM

I've had several Shelties...greaat best friends, protectors, huggers, too cute! life would be so lonely without my precious "hershey kisses"....i love chocolate too.
Old 01-31-2012, 07:26 PM

Just a thought.... We have a cock-a-poo (cocker spaniel/poodle mix)... and she is absolutely great. She weighs 12 pounds. We have had her since she was 6 wks old (now 6 years old). LOVES to cuddle, sit in your lap... and play ball. Does not shed.... very low maintenance. My first house dog... she is very intelligent and very much a member of our family. She LOVES people.
Old 01-31-2012, 08:54 PM

My guy is a Maltie-Poo and was rescued from the pound 11 years ago. He's a delight at 10# and very comfortable with apt living. I suggest checking out your pound or rescue group and see what mixed breeds are out there. I think you won't be disappointed. When I started my search I told myself I wouldn't pick the first dog I saw - but there he was - just perfect for me. I'm so glad I didn't hold me to my intention. When it's right - I've found it's important to take the leap! Good luck in finding the right dog for you.

Last edited by jlwheart; 01-31-2012 at 08:57 PM.
Old 01-31-2012, 09:43 PM
Power Poster

I have a poodle and a poodle/mix. My poodle is 8 1/2 lbs. and my poodle/mix is the same height but he is chunky and weighs more than 10 lbs. Molly was in a family with children and very unhappy, JoJo was dumped on the interstate. My DH passed away and then my beloved Chesepeake a short time later. The family that had Molly heard about my losses and gave her to me. I could never have afforded to purchase a purebreed. My Chesepeake came the same way. She was in a household with 4 large dogs and she wasn't very happy. I had her for 16 years. My sister's SIL works at a Veterinarian office and she asked if I would take JoJo, because she knew I already had one poodle. They both love to cuddle and are very spoiled. I also love that neither one shed.
Old 02-01-2012, 02:55 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Andii View Post
Take a look at the humane society...they are cheap and you're saving a life. It seems to me the littler dogs have more energy and bark where the bigger ones are more mellow. Good luck.
Do agree and although they do have issues are very grateful for you saving them ,I have lots -8- but a rescue blind pug who was starving and been in a crate for 23 yrs day got domesticated ,ADORES fuss and lies in front of wood burner or on my knee.;
Old 02-01-2012, 04:25 AM

Corgis are good companion dogs and will be happy to exercise gently.
Old 02-01-2012, 05:18 AM

I just want to weigh in on the side of shelter/rescue dogs - lets not forget there are still FOUR MILLION unwanted pets being killed every year because there are no homes for them. Unacceptable. I could never buy a dog or cat while there are so many waiting for homes.

Also, please take into consideration the temperament of the dog and not just the way it looks. So many people fall in love with a certain "look" and forget there is a personality behind it.
Old 02-01-2012, 06:00 AM

Puppies are a HUGE amount of work, so if your hubby can't put the time and energy into one, then getting an adult would be perfect

Man am I finding that out...got a 2 mo chorky and she is keeping us moving...WOW shes decided going out side is not her thing...constant battle and I swear she knows what to do. LOL
Old 02-01-2012, 06:01 AM

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by DogHouseMom View Post
As a breeder, there is a small part of me that shudders when people price shop puppies. While I understand completely that finances are an important part of life, the breeder in me knows what happens when people price shop for puppies. There are "breeders" and there are people who simply "breed dogs" - there is a great amount of difference between the two, and like most things in life, you get what you pay for. Not the time or place for the "why's" to my statement.

So ... my best suggestion is to first do the research on which breed is right for you, then contact the rescue groups for that breed(s) and inquire about available dogs. Typically, most breed rescue groups require a small fee (which is often tax deductible), and will interview you to make sure that your home is suited to a dog, and to match the right dog to your needs/desires. Rescue people are generally very adept at making sound decisions about which animal will work well in your situation (ie a dog that is already accustomed to cats for example).

here is the link to the National Club's (West Highland White Terrier Club of America) rescue site.
http://www.westieclubamerica.com/rescue/index.html

here is a link to the Maltese rescue site (American Maltese Association).
http://www.americanmalteserescue.org/

And in case you wish to consider another breed, here is a general link to American Kennel Club's list of ALL rescue groups that are affiliated with an AKC member breed Club.
http://www.akc.org/breeds/rescue.cfm

Good luck in your search. I hope you are able to make a needy dog a good home.

Sue
Glad I continued to read the posts. I would have said pretty much the same but not as succinctly. As an active member of a breed rescue group, I heartily endorse your views.
Old 02-01-2012, 06:19 AM

Cavalier King Charles Spaniel is the way to go, the calmest, smartest, most loving of any breed, very easy to train, moderate amount of exercise, good with children and other pets....the only drawback is that they shed,but if combed a couple of times a week, really helps and no professional grooming required, small enough to be "lap dogs", check them out, a "baby" you will not regret....I have two and wanting another one...