Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: What can be done for a swollen/broken foot?

My son and I were jumping on the trampoline last night and he landed on my right foot. I immediately felt pain, but it subsided after awhile. Today, the top of my foot is so swollen, I cannot put on shoes. I wore a pair of my husband's sandals that have a strap across the toes and one near the ankle that are adjustable so I could go to the store. I felt like crying from the limited pressure from the strap across the top of my foot. I cannot rotate my foot down without pain and any pressure on the top of the foot would make me pass out. There doesn't appear to be any bruising, just bad swelling, so I am thinking the damage is pretty deep.

My dh thinks I should go to the doctor's, but I am wondering if there is anything that can be done if there are broken bones inside the foot?

I am so glad it is summer and I can get away with being barefoot unless I go out.

Power Poster
    Get it checked out - and go from there.

You most definitely need to go to have this checked out ASAP. They often cast a broken foot, depending on the type of break, might use a boot type cast. If the bones are out of alignment and it heals incorrectly, that is not good. If it is just a severe sprain, they also might put a rigid boot on it and put you on crutches. I think that either way, it needs to be checked out. The pain is your body telling you that something is wrong. You definitely need to listen to it. My hubby hurt his hand at work, some pain, not much swelling. He came home and I told him he should have it looked at, but her refused. Got up next day and his hand looked like a Mickey Mouse hand! Went to the doc and it was broken. He was in a cast for 6 weeks.

Good Luck!

Absolutely see a doctor. Ice it in the meantime. They will cast a broken foot to aid healing. I'm taking care of my granddaughter now who has a broken ankle.

A foot can be sprained??? Wow. I had no idea. I've heard of an ankle sprain, but not a foot. The top of my foot looks like someone put it in a fat suit. I probably should have taken advantage of my mom being here today to have it looked at. Tomorrow I have an appointment to have my vehicle worked on. Maybe I will call in the morning.

Power Poster
    It's your FOOT - you NEED it in as good working order as possible - go to the DOCTOR!

You do not need to have foot pain for the rest of your life!

I'm YELLING at you!

See the doctor. Take some anti-inflammatory meds
    Ice, Ice and more Ice!!! Elevate it above your heart.

Only about 20 min at a time, you don't want to freeze it too much, 20 on 20 off.

I agree with all the answers above and on a positive thought........
    if it is broken or badly sprained, you will have an excuse to sit and do hand work on a quilt!! Always try to look on the positive side and good luck with the doc.

My mom just pointed out that if I get a cast, I won't be abl to use my sewing machine or drive for over a month! Oh my. Scary.

I will see how bad it looks in the morning and call first thing. I just made an appointment this morning for my son to see his doctor about going to a speech therapist and now I will have to call back to make an appointment for me. Then, they will send me to the hospital for an x-ray. :cry:

Power Poster
    People have learned how to control the pedal with the "other" foot.

If it's knee-controlled, I don't see a problem.

Pam
    I drove with the other foot for weeks, all winter long, hauling a 30 foot horse trailer driving 100 miles a day. No biggie, just go around the block a couple of times, then you are an expert!

If the foot is broken, and the pieces are not in line to heal right, they will have to do surgury to re-break the bone if you wait too long....GO TO THE HOSPITAL....do not pass Go.
    I have broken 3 bones in my foot before and it isn't fun. But you can drive...and you can definately sew (other foot).

Quote Originally Posted by MistyMarie
    My mom just pointed out that if I get a cast, I won't be abl to use my sewing machine or drive for over a month! Oh my. Scary.

I will see how bad it looks in the morning and call first thing.
    You're kidding, right? So you sew by hand for a month. Would you really rather risk not being able to walk correctly for the rest of your life? Or not being able to use the sewing machine's foot pedal without pain? Or drive properly?

You should call the doctor right NOW and ask if it's okay to even wait until morning. The healing process begins immediately, but if things are out of place, the tissues might keep them that way. Scar tissue may form.

Your son's speech therapy can wait. Sometimes you need to take care of YOU.

I guess I wasn't super worried because it doesn't hurt to walk on, only to wear shoes or rotate too far. The top is really swollen, but it has been over 24 hours since this happened. However, the swelling having continued this long and the pain if I press on it has been worrying me. I broke my foot in college when a Morgan I was removing the halter from reared up, then landed on my left foot. Even though I had several hairline fractures, the doctor did not cast my foot. He said it would just have to heal up. So, I figured my eight year old son could not do as much damage as that horse. (I did have boots on with the horse and he put most of his weight on his other hoof when he landed or he would have shattered my foot!)

Oh, hope it isnt broken!I would have the Dr. check it out too, just to be safe.

Put a call in NOW, and let us know the outcome.
    Good luck, sorry you are in pain.

Blog Entries
    Go to the doctor! We are worried about you...and yes, you can sew with the other foot. You don't want to have surgery just because you waited. My mom broke her wrist on Christmas Eve, didn't want to "bother" anybody for a sprain, ended up with surgery and pins because she waited 3 days to see the doctor.

Don't wait. We'll be watching you. :shock:

Someone at work just had a similar thing happen to her foot. She has a bone chip in the joint. She is on crutches and is wearing a little boot.
    Hope you get it checked out.

Banned
    ICE ICE ICE for swelling!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Please, please, have a doctor look at it. If it is broken and heals incorrectly you may be in for a lifetime of problems. Until you can get to a doctor, try to stay off it, keep it elevated with ice on it.

Blog Entries
    Isn't it odd, as parents, how we try to convince ourselves we are invincible. Our child has a pain we take them right away to the doctor. Our spouse has a problem we harass them until they give in and go to the doctor. Our parents have a problem we shut down our lives, pack a suitcase and make a roadtrip to ensure they get proper medical care.
    Now, how are we going to take care of all those loved ones if we don't take care of ourselves? Yet it is not on our priority list, everyone else is.
    Enough psychology. :lol:
    What did the doctor say? :lol:
    Wishing you well.
    Regards, Dorothy

I'm so sorry!!! I agree, you need some xrays. Don't wait...it may cause more damage

Yep I broke my foot falling in a cave on my daughters third grade feild trip. That is what it does. GO TO THE DOCTOR!!! It isn't that bad really. You get used to the crutches after a few days and you get lots of people waiting on you for a few weeks. Get it tended to.

There are a lot of small bones in the foot, if one is broken and it heals wrong, you will have more to go through then just going and getting an Xray. It's your foot, you kind of need it to get around.

Go and get it looked and I hope it turns out to be nothing more than a bad bruise.

Get it checked out before the bones start healing incorrectly or you could have a LOT of problems with it in the future. Chances are they'll put you in a boot cast that can be taken off at night.
    PLEASE don't walk barefooted until you've seen a doctor.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast