Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
what to do with out-dated Dr. Pepper >

what to do with out-dated Dr. Pepper

what to do with out-dated Dr. Pepper

Old 04-14-2013, 07:09 AM

Originally Posted by barny View Post
I would drink it. That is just a guessed date for keeping. It would be fine to drink.
I drink milk a week or two after the date! In fact, that is when I open it! Bottoms up!!!

Sandy
Old 04-14-2013, 07:23 AM

Use them to bake chickens in the oven; it makes the meat very tender. You can use canned cokes and/or beer; even stale beer works! Tks. GiGi
Old 04-14-2013, 07:27 AM

Only a month outdated. It is still drinkable.
Old 04-14-2013, 08:38 AM

Pour it down your slow running drains and let it set for awhile. It's supposed to clean them out.
Old 04-14-2013, 09:01 AM

I wouldn't do this w/Dr. Pepper, but I have used other pops as well as tonic and club soda when I make pancakes, even tried it w/biscuits when we were camping once. The carbonation really makes the pancakes (& biscuits) light.
Old 04-14-2013, 09:12 AM
Power Poster

open one and taste it. if it tasts ok and still has the fizz it should be ok
Old 04-14-2013, 10:02 AM

Is it bottles or cans? Either way, the date is kind of redundant. It was never required in the past. Some have mentioned prescription medicine, that is labeled for potency because if it is not stored right (away from heat and light) it may deteriorate. I have read that most drugs are OK even 3 years past that date. There are some exceptions, like Vitamin C or sunblock which really do deteriorate quickly.

When I first saw your post I thought remove the ends, flatten out the cans and make jewelry out of them. I guess you are wondering if it is ok to drink, it is. I have seen the BBQ recipes too, Dr. Pepper adds the sweetness and tenderizes the meat.
Old 04-14-2013, 04:12 PM

It makes the best ham. Pour it over a ham that you've stabbed slits in. I never make a ham without cola on it.
Old 04-14-2013, 07:12 PM

My Grandma use to dilute with some water and fertilize her house plants-I do this from time to time with Dr. Pepper that has lost it's fizz. works too
Old 04-15-2013, 05:35 AM

I'm still trying to figure out why we are all still alive since only 5-10 years have they been tacking on all these sell by dates. Actually, most say, best by date. They are selling food products, of course they want you to toss it, and buy more. Most of us are bright enough to know when a product is not good, meat, bread, etc. If flour products get bugs or things are clumped together.

Twenty years ago, hardly anything had a date and rarely was anything tossed. It's a money world now, they want you to spend it. Some items will lose flavor or effectiveness, baking powder for one, yeast. Pop having a date is almost funny, so is beer. Since no one drinks it here, a six pack can set for a couple of years. It still makes wonderful beer bread plus as an additive for cooking. Wine that turns, is called wine vinegar, which you can buy on your grocer's shelf, for a price. Turned wine is the best marinade one can use.

Just season your steaks, chicken whatever, put in a covered dish or plastic zip bag, pour wine vinegar in and let set until ready to grill or cook. Sometimes I do it 24 hours ahead. I do turn the meat a few times, that's why I like the plastic bags.

If you use diet soda products, the taste will go off, but not for quite awhile. We only use regular, if any. Sugar really doesn't spoil but the drinks may lose carbonation.