What do you buy online?

Old 08-08-2011, 09:10 AM

I buy just about everything on line. From Tv's to Stove's to Fabric & anything between
Old 08-08-2011, 09:26 AM

I usually check my LQS first. I do like to see and feel the fabric! However, my LQS's do not carry full lines of fabric, so if I need some they don't have, I order on line. I shop on line very often. DH does also with computer ink, electronics, RC airplanes, and RV supplies. I like to shop locally for other things, but if I can't find what I need, I will buy online.
As for those who are concerned about credit card use, we have one card that we use for internet purchases. We have made arrangements with the company to e mail us as soon as a charge is made on that card. That makes it easy to be sure there are no problems. We also have our other credit card company notify us of any charges over a certain amount. We have had more trouble with the second card than the internet one! But we use it for everything. I don't like to carry cash or a check book, and debit cards scare me to death.
Old 08-08-2011, 09:45 AM

I don't buy online, I prefer to shop in person...thus seeing the true color and quality of what I am buying.
Old 08-08-2011, 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by FancyFoot
I buy just about everything on line. From Tv's to Stove's to Fabric & anything between
I do too. I even purchased a clothes washer online and it was delivered from a store 25 miles away. Saved me driving there just to do the purchasing.

I like fabric.com for fabric, free shipping over 35.00, and you know your bill will be over that.

Many times I needed a gift that was too big for me to get home and then to my grandchildren, order on-line and have delivered to them. I did this with little tykes yard toys.

Jean
Old 08-08-2011, 10:29 AM

I was a local merchant for nearly 20 years. So I know how important local shopping is for the local families. People did not know how much they hurt me when they would brag about the bargain they got from Wal-Mart which is 35 miles from us and they only saved $5.00 per tire then had to pay for a new valve stem and rotating and balancing which we provided free. Anyway, having said all that I buy many things on line but only items we cannot get locally or 35 mi. radius. I also am careful to note the amount of shipping. When it comes to fabric, I want to touch and see the colors and quality. I was burned once on Ebay so I am a cautious buyer now.
Old 08-08-2011, 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by Learner747
I was a local merchant for nearly 20 years. So I know how important local shopping is for the local families. People did not know how much they hurt me when they would brag about the bargain they got from Wal-Mart which is 35 miles from us and they only saved $5.00 per tire then had to pay for a new valve stem and rotating and balancing which we provided free. Anyway, having said all that I buy many things on line but only items we cannot get locally or 35 mi. radius. I also am careful to note the amount of shipping. When it comes to fabric, I want to touch and see the colors and quality. I was burned once on Ebay so I am a cautious buyer now.
The saddest thing is that there are so few true "local" merchants anymore. Sorry that happened to you as a merchant. There is such a vicious cycle created when you want the best deal you can get and that generally comes from a volume dealer (whether in person or online) and that hurts the small family businesses. And sometimes it turns not to be the bargain it originally appeared! I really think it's a sad commentary on our society.... and I can't claim innocence. Though I do try to be aware and was curious about others' buying habits/thoughts/plans.

Thanks for all the responses! Hope there will be more.
Old 08-08-2011, 01:42 PM

I buy a lot of books online I have discount cards so new books that would retail for $32 I can buy for $18 plus discounted or free shipping. I buy clothes online as well and sometimes software. If I'm looking for something specific I will check locally and see what the cost is and then I search online and see how much it is. With us having one income we are always looking for the best way to do things that will safe us money.
Old 08-08-2011, 01:53 PM

I buy darn near everything except food :)
I have to drive an hour to get to a "LQS"
Old 08-08-2011, 02:50 PM

I buy fabric and batting, mostly because we are down to one vehicle and though I know he'd do it, I don't like to ask my husband to drive me to any store.

I've bought pet supplies online, and computer parts, but I do like to see and tough most of what I buy.
Old 08-08-2011, 05:09 PM

Started shopping on the Internet in the Spring.. have been buying clothes, charms and quilting sale items--a great way to shop