What do you buy online?

Old 08-09-2011, 11:27 AM
Power Poster

he, he. i just had to buy some clips to put in the siding under the eves to hold the Comcast cables around my house that are falling down now. like the ones that would hold your xmas lights on your house. I'm paying a lot of postage to get a cheap product. grrrrrr. but gotta have them.
Old 08-09-2011, 11:39 AM

I buy online due to the cost of fabric and the selection. I live in Canada, the cost of fabric here is very high. I can get fabric much cheaper including shipping costs online. . There are 2 LQS here and one fabric store but the selection is rather limited. I just bought and received 18 Fat quarters for $48.44 including shipping from a ebay seller. They are simply beautiful and coordinated. Which works out to be $2.69 a fat quarter. The seller threw in a free black Kaufman Fat quarter . Which makes it $2.55 a fat quarter. Fat quarters here as $3.75 to $5.25 each. So that is a savings of money and time for me.
Old 08-09-2011, 11:41 AM

I do both, but mainly buy fabric online.
If I don't see fabrics or what I like at my local shopping stores, or on here (Classified's) then I shop online.
Old 08-09-2011, 12:11 PM

I buy books, toys, gifts, household items, some fabric and notions (but only fabric that I know I would like and only from stores I trust). (I usually buy fabric at LQS, but Nancy's Notions has wonderful batiks on sale now -- I bought some a year ago and I am restraining myself because I need to use my stash -- sigh)

We have one credit card with a small balance that is only used on the internet. The damage that could be done if it is comprimised is minimal, the lender knows it is an internet card and the low limit also limits my spending.
Old 08-09-2011, 12:15 PM

Books!
Old 08-09-2011, 12:26 PM

Vintage Schwinn bikes. My DH collects them and since they come from all over the country, on-line is the only way to shop.
Old 08-09-2011, 12:34 PM

I wish I could afford to shop locally more often. I recently bought a darning foot for my Bernina 1530 at my LQS, trying to support them because they were great fixing my machine when I took it in for service. I saw it advertised on line at $18.99 or $19.99. When I picked it up at the store I paid $48.00 for it (including tax). I can't afford prices like that.

I buy a lot on line. I buy shoes, clothes, fabric, jewelry, and small appliances. I even found my cats on line from a breeder.
Old 08-10-2011, 04:20 PM

I kind of feel obligated to post this, so here goes:

Yesterday I posted something about a mail order company that came out all wrong. I meant to write about it and was sort of laughing at myself and how my brain works now after being hit in the car accident, but instead, it got deleted and a note to me that if I have a complaint, I should contact the company. Seems like it came out as a complaint about the company - that was not my intent at all!

Anyways, today I got my first package of fabric I ordered - 72 1-yard pieces of 72 different fabrics, so plenty of room for errors. Well, I'm happy to say, after all the good things I've heard about them on here, Connecting Threads was wonderful! Not one mistake, and the bundles of 15 or so pieces were wrapped in plastic bags even.

Oh, the fabrics were 2.96 a yard, and were of excellent quality.
Now I feel even worse about what I wrote
Old 08-10-2011, 05:23 PM

I get downloads like music, books and computer games for me and the kids...also if I find a really nice e-pattern I may get it and print it out...have gotten a bunch of stuff from eBay over the last 12 years (also sold a lot there), bought fabric and batting from Connecting Threads, and get my Aurifil thread and needles from Jhittles. Also non-quilty things like wormer for the horses are cheaper on-line. I'm 35 miles from the nearest quilt store and Walmart and groceries are over 20 miles one-way so buying online is very convenient. The shipping cost is cheaper than the gas I'd have to buy.
Old 08-10-2011, 05:37 PM

I wouldn't buy fabric online except a super good deal on this board. But I do most of my Christmas shopping online and since I have a kindle, all of my books. Whenever I am shopping, I check the price at Amazon first and check the reviews.
I buy lots of patterns online if it comes as a download, or of course used, again on this board.