Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
What ever Happened to the Good ol' Days...... >

What ever Happened to the Good ol' Days......

What ever Happened to the Good ol' Days......

Old 03-16-2010, 03:18 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by gaumy
Originally Posted by marsye
I would love to live in Mayberry :thumbup:
Marsye
where do you live in Arkansas...I live in Hot Springs...
Hi, In Mena....its almost like Mayberry :wink:
Old 03-16-2010, 03:38 AM

Originally Posted by PatriceJ
as i was composing my response i realized that for everything i wish we could regain, there's something else i'm glad we've left behind.

too bad we can't pick, choose, and keep the good things from then and now AND eliminate or leave behind the bad from both.
I'm with you, Patrice!!! No way am I voting to go back in time to a place with belted maxi pads that felt like they were stuffed with saw dust! Cataract sugery was a huge ordeal then. People were building air raid shelters. I'll take my chances in the modern world.

That being said, I did always love Bewitched. I wanted to be a witch so BAD!!
Old 03-16-2010, 03:45 AM
Power Poster

I would love to live in a small town where everyone knew and trusted each other. I don't like the idea that children cannot go out and play without someone with them. When I was growing up everyone knew each other and looked out and watched each others children.
Would'nt it be nice if we could have modern conveniences in a 50's setting.
Old 03-16-2010, 04:41 AM

Originally Posted by Lostn51
I was watching "Leave it to Beaver" today and was thinking to myself, why cant the world be like this still.......

I know everyone knows the meaning behind my screen name (pretty evident if you ask me :lol: ) but I really long for that time in history.

Of course the TV Land channel plays all of the good old programs like my favorite "Bewitched" (Elizabeth Montgomery was soooo beautiful),"Gunsmoke", and "Leave it to Beaver". And they usually play at least 3 or 4 programs of each in a row. There is another channel that plays the"Patty Duke Show" one after another "77 Sunset Strip" and the old westerns like "The Rifleman", "Lone Ranger" and "Sugar Foot".

But things were so much safer and nicer back then. I guess I was lucky being born in 1966 and got to experience some of the good times but I have always said I was several generations out of sync. I should have been a teen in the 40's so I could watch the birth of the hot rod industry and actually live when it was safe to be a kid!!

Billy
Ahhhh, back when Matt never kissed Kitty, Laura and Rob slept in separate twin beds and both wore pajamas. It's a shame that the age of innocence is gone. We are all just too accepting, too lenient nowdays. We go ahead and watch shows on tv that do things we don't approve of. :cry: And we've gotten used to piping garbage into our homes and worse yet, we let our children watch these things. I have a friend who lets her young children watch R rated movies and has since they were tiny. They are only 11 and 12 now. Each year television pushes the edge of the envelope more and more and we allow it instead of complaining to and/or boycotting the sponsors. Personally I just shut it off and we strictly monitor and limit tv for our daughter.
I was up rather late the other night and wanted to watch something funny. I tuned into Lopez Late which is advertized as a comedy. Can you say vulgar???? In less than 30 seconds and I was shutting it off. Okay. I'll step down from my soapbox now.
Old 03-16-2010, 04:46 AM

Originally Posted by zennia
I would love to live in a small town where everyone knew and trusted each other. I don't like the idea that children cannot go out and play without someone with them. When I was growing up everyone knew each other and looked out and watched each others children.
Would'nt it be nice if we could have modern conveniences in a 50's setting.
Remember when leaving the house mornings in the summer time your mom saying, "Make sure you're home for supper."? We used to explore the woods near our house all day playing at being Indians and seeing how quietly we could walk, building forts in the hay, playhouses in the back yard, and sleeping in tents made of blankets pinned to the clothesline.
Old 03-16-2010, 04:47 AM

I loved all those shows, had a crush on Sugarfoot. I also wish that the younger generation didn't have to be so afraid to go out and be a child and not have to worry about anything.
Old 03-16-2010, 05:21 AM

Lostn51, I would be right there with ya..I was born in '52 and I feel so sorry that my grandchildren missed the '50's and early '60's. Yes it would be nice if we could keep the great things about those years and do away with the bad and be able to live like that again, I would love it! I get to sort of. I visit my dad in the small town that I grew up in once a month and spend time with him and of course we watch what he wants to watch on tv which is, Sanford and Son, Bonanza, always Andy Griffith, I Love Lucy, sometimes Cosby, and Nascar to mention a few. We always watch RFDtv too. I have gotten him the collections of Dukes of Hazzard (which I love), Mr Ed, Petticoat Junction, Smokey and the Bandit...to name a few. So yeah, I guess you can say I get to go back once a month.....LOL! My brother is a car mechanic and my cousin has a huge farm so it can be fun there too...lol! Oh yeah, my Dad used to call me Sugarfoot when I was little.... :^)
Old 03-16-2010, 05:21 AM

Originally Posted by pocoellie
I loved all those shows, had a crush on Sugarfoot. I also wish that the younger generation didn't have to be so afraid to go out and be a child and not have to worry about anything.
I don't remember Sugarfoot. It must not have been on the channel we got. The only one that came in was WCIA.
ABC and NBC were things that we didn't even realize existed for a long time. I remember our first tv screen was almost square but the corners were really rounded off and dad was always fidgeting with the rabbit ears to get it to come in better. Then we got an antenna and could get one more channel sometimes but it was really fuzzy and would fade in and out.
Old 03-16-2010, 05:45 AM

I do 19th Century (mostly 1860s) reenacting. I like the modern era - toilet paper, indoor plumbing, central heat & ac, women's rights, modern medicine.

Originally Posted by tlrnhi
Wouldn't it be great if we could go back to the good old days?
Old 03-16-2010, 05:54 AM

Originally Posted by redkimba
I do 19th Century (mostly 1860s) reenacting. I like the modern era - toilet paper, indoor plumbing, central heat & ac, women's rights, modern medicine.

Originally Posted by tlrnhi
Wouldn't it be great if we could go back to the good old days?
I agree about the modern plumbing. I was 13 when Daddy finally put a toilet in the house. Talk about HEAVEN! ! ! No more running through the snow drifts to go, no more freezing seat, no having to sheww the chickens out. I enjoyed making as much as the men did when I worked. And most of all I love being able to be part of a worldwide "family" like this one.