Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
What ever Happened to the Good ol' Days...... >

What ever Happened to the Good ol' Days......

What ever Happened to the Good ol' Days......

Old 03-16-2010, 03:36 PM

and I agree, we've planted seeds as we go, and we used the stepping stones along the way. What great memories! They weren't holograms and graphically developed, raw real world. I treasure my memories, but my forgetter is getting gooder....sigh....hope my first most memories stay with me. Thanks for starting this thread, it's been a joy.
Old 03-16-2010, 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by gaumy
Originally Posted by marsye
I would love to live in Mayberry :thumbup:
Marsye
where do you live in Arkansas...I live in Hot Springs...
Is it anything like Mayberry? I have property in HSV that my parents bought me years ago, but haven't been.
Old 03-16-2010, 03:49 PM

Going back to the good old days means leaving the cool things from today its a total toss up. I remember going to the park too with my sisters.. we would walk 3 blocks over and play til dinner time (no one had a watch but you sorta guessed?) and we were all under 10.. I also was left at the pool with my lil sis, me 9 she was 6 see ya, pick you up at 5 all afternoon.. we both were great swimmers, life guards.. who would take a kid? for this I wish my children never had had to learn don't talk to strangers.. what come see my kitty or puppy in the car could really mean.. BUT medical technology, computers.. all good things. I long for the 1880's yet know I love it here to so.. the old GRASS IS ALWAYS GREENER thing comes to play for everyone who is whistful.. til you are stuck mowing it.. I wonder if it is greener or just better looking because its in someone elses yard!
Old 03-16-2010, 04:01 PM
Power Poster

I live in a small Iowa town and it is only 400 people. Has a gas/groc store post office and two taverns. This is as close as you get anymore to the good old days. Everyone knows everyone else's business. Everyone has to tell you what they think about the new car you bought. You can't sneeze but someone is telling you a home remedy to use.

We have had a little occasional crime but not much and pretty far between. the kids play in the street and you can hear a mom yelling to have a child get home. If you stop and ask directions from someone here you will get -go down to the corner where Bill Smith lives and turn right at the road where his tractor sits. Do you know where the old mill used to be? Well if you do turn there and.....

The kids are safe playing in the park without adults because everyone watches everyone else so they can be the first one to tell their neighbors!! It is a BIG deal here to be the first one to tell something nooone has heard yet!!Who went to the hospital last night who's door the ambulance stopped at. Who talked to who and who is not speaking to who! LOL ETC

Memories-- I remember party lines. You had to wait til the line was free before you could make a call.And there were usually at least three or four families on a line. My MILs neighbor used to put her phone in a metal washbasin so it would make noise and she could listen in. Dial telephones were on the wall or eventually sitting on the desk. I learned to use a pencil or pen to dial the phone and save my fingers!!

My grandma had an outhouse in the backyard we used. A family friend only had an outhouse no indoor plumbing. They had never had it. And this was in 65.
Old 03-16-2010, 04:03 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Lostn51
I was watching "Leave it to Beaver" today and was thinking to myself, why cant the world be like this still.......

I know everyone knows the meaning behind my screen name (pretty evident if you ask me :lol: ) but I really long for that time in history.

Of course the TV Land channel plays all of the good old programs like my favorite "Bewitched" (Elizabeth Montgomery was soooo beautiful),"Gunsmoke", and "Leave it to Beaver". And they usually play at least 3 or 4 programs of each in a row. There is another channel that plays the"Patty Duke Show" one after another "77 Sunset Strip" and the old westerns like "The Rifleman", "Lone Ranger" and "Sugar Foot".

But things were so much safer and nicer back then. I guess I was lucky being born in 1966 and got to experience some of the good times but I have always said I was several generations out of sync. I should have been a teen in the 40's so I could watch the birth of the hot rod industry and actually live when it was safe to be a kid!!

Billy
Oh Bewitched is DA BOMB!!!! I loved that show...still do!!!
Old 03-16-2010, 04:03 PM
Banned

My husband was born in THE Mayberry ~ Mt Airy, NC. I love to tease him about it!!!
Old 03-16-2010, 09:04 PM

Mt Airy is a pretty little mountain town, but it's in the piedmont (foot hills). I live in Greensboro, so to go up there is a real relaxing treat.
Old 03-17-2010, 04:11 AM

Originally Posted by Lostn51
Originally Posted by bodie358
Originally Posted by raptureready
You may be lost in the 50's but your location is Bikini Bottom so somebody's been watching some modern SpongeBob Squarepants. My daughters room is done like Bikini Bottom. We put down vinyl flooring that looks like sand, painted the dresser with textured paint that looks like sand, did the SB and Patrick drawer pulls, the walls start out dark aqua by the floor and get lighter as you go up until the ceiling is a pale aqua. I spray painted all the sea flowers and sea cactus' on then took the lid to the spray paint, dipped in white paint and made bubbles all over the walls. I went back in with a small brush and did a little comma shaped highlight on each bubble. BUT, the best thing was that when I hung aqua curtains up. When the sun shines in the air looks blue. She also has a SB tv, DVDplayer, chair, footstool, bed set, etc. The one draw back? She's just about to outgrow it and I'm going to have to change it.
Pictures please! This sounds so cute.
Yes I would love to see that!!

I started to paint my Studio all in a SpongBob theme but changed my mind in mid stream. I have tons of SB tons and collectibles and was noticing they have a vinyl wallpaper that has Bikini Bottom in the background and SB, Squidward, and Patricks houses on it. Looks just like you are in the cartoon.

If your daughter outgrows the theme then I would love to swap rooms with her!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Billy
The "footstool" that I mentioned was really one of those large popcorn tins. I found some really wide border of SB and Patrick chasing jelly fish. With the help of a piece of foam rubber and some pink fleece, it now looks like they are chasing jelly fish with a GIANT jelly fish hovering above them. It sits in front of her SB director's chair.
Old 03-17-2010, 06:09 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by mrspete
Mt Airy is a pretty little mountain town, but it's in the piedmont (foot hills). I live in Greensboro, so to go up there is a real relaxing treat.
I grew up in Gboro ~ my parents and FIL are still there :) It sure is different now than when I lived there!
Old 03-17-2010, 07:21 AM

Originally Posted by BKinCO
My husband was born in THE Mayberry ~ Mt Airy, NC. I love to tease him about it!!!
We stopped there on vacation two years ago. Does that count? We were shocked that everything still closes so early! It's a hard place to find your way around in at night---very few street lights once you leave the down town area. It was also when most of the gas stations were out of gas. We did get to see the little house that Andy grew up in and got to go to the cemetary where Eng and Chang are buried. It was a fun stop over. We stayed at the Mayberry Motel (or maybe it was Inn)