Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
What ever Happened to the Good ol' Days...... >

What ever Happened to the Good ol' Days......

What ever Happened to the Good ol' Days......

Old 03-17-2010, 07:38 AM

At least there I am so far back in the woods you have to pipe sunlight to me! And the most exciting thing that happens around there is deer season.

I'll be right there with you Billy.
Old 03-17-2010, 09:10 AM
Power Poster

I look back and don't see the innocence of the good ole days, I see the ignorance.
Old 03-17-2010, 09:14 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Lostn51
I was watching "Leave it to Beaver" today and was thinking to myself, why cant the world be like this still.......
Yes, a lovely world where women were severely repressed. It's a time I certainly pine after.
Old 03-17-2010, 09:27 AM

I believe this has been mentioned already but the marriage age went down b/c the teens were having sex but got married instead of having babies out of wedlock. There was safety then but also lots of ignorance as well and tons of intolerance for many different peoples. I thank God that I live in an age where my mental illness doesn't consign me to life in a state mental institution with bad medicines and practices like frontal lobotomies to try to "cure" the illness. I am also thankful that there are medicines that can help and if one doesn't work perhaps another one will.
Old 03-17-2010, 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by MadQuilter
I was watching "Leave it to Beaver" today and was thinking to myself, why cant the world be like this still.......
Yes, a lovely world where women were severely repressed. It's a time I certainly pine after.
Right there with you on that one Martina.
Old 03-17-2010, 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by Lisanne
So what does your name stand for, lost in the '50s?
Yes it means just that literally "Lost in 1951". Funny thing is my house, car, and a lot of furnishings I own were made in 1951.

As far as my families lifestyle its almost like "Leave it to Beaver" when you come through the doors of my home. At least that what my kids and their friends say. My wife and I hold the same values and morals that America had in the 50's but we do have the modern conveniences of the internet, satellite tv, and so forth. Sorta the modern day version of the show :lol:

But I hate that everytime you turn on the news that there is another child missing or some kind of crime happened.

Thats the main reason I am moving out to my property in middle TN after my daughter graduates this year. At least there I am so far back in the woods you have to pipe sunlight to me! :mrgreen: And the most exciting thing that happens around there is deer season.

Billy
The question I ask myself about all the stories we hear is "Did this happen back int he good old days and we just never heard about it?" Media today is much more widespread and I think we just hear more of the stuff out there. I'd be willing to bet that it happened back then too. Summer of Sam, Ted Bundy, and I know there were more.
Old 03-17-2010, 09:40 AM

Innocence or ignorance, I would like to keep the advantages of today without being bombarded at every turn by moral decay. Yes, it was present back then too it just wasn't broadcast all the time. My Grandmother's sister had a baby out of wedlock in 1917. David slept with the much married Bathsheba a very long time ago. It's always been there but we didn't used to flaunt and praise it. Some was good, some was bad. I guess we can't have it all EXCEPT FOR FABRIC. YEA!!! LOL LOL LOL
Old 03-17-2010, 10:07 AM
Banned

You all do raise a good point but at least the kids could play outside and not have to worry about a drive by shooting or some fool going into an Elementary School shooting the place up because she was pissed at the Principle.

I am a techie from the word go, but I could live life without all of technology and it would not bother me a bit.

Nothing wrong with calling someone listening to the party line. And whats so bad about picking up a pen and paper and writing a letter. Sitting around the radio listening to the news and George and Gracie Burns. I have a 60" flat screen sitting in front of me right now but I could live life without it.

Our Presidents had a military background, and you could sing "God Bless America" and not be sued because it might upset someone. In God We Trust and The Ten Commandments actually meant something and was not shunned if they were on public display.

I asked my wife and kids this question last night..........Would you be willing to give up everything you know now to go back to the late 40's to early 50's.

Their answer was yes they would, and so would I!!!

Billy
Old 03-17-2010, 10:27 AM

You all do raise a good point but at least the kids could play outside and not have to worry about a drive by shooting or some fool going into an Elementary School shooting the place up because she was pissed at the Principle.

I am a techie from the word go, but I could live life without all of technology and it would not bother me a bit.

Nothing wrong with calling someone listening to the party line. And whats so bad about picking up a pen and paper and writing a letter. Sitting around the radio listening to the news and George and Gracie Burns. I have a 60" flat screen sitting in front of me right now but I could live life without it.

Our Presidents had a military background, and you could sing "God Bless America" and not be sued because it might upset someone. In God We Trust and The Ten Commandments actually meant something and was not shunned if they were on public display.

I asked my wife and kids this question last night..........Would you be willing to give up everything you know now to go back to the late 40's to early 50's.

Their answer was yes they would, and so would I!!!

Billy
A more innocent time yes, but I don't want to give up my microwave, sewing machine, washing machine (those wringer types were awful), or retirement check. Go back to dresses all the time? I could do that, that's all I ever wear. Do without TV, I could handle that too but I'd really miss this computer. I live in a very small town so we don't have drive by's or much crime. We do have our school doors locked and you have to be buzzed in and we do have part time police. But for the most part this town is very safe and everyone knows and watches out for almost everyone else. We seldom lock our doors unless we're leaving for several days---house, cars, camper, garage are all unlocked. After all, one of the neighbors might need something. Most people around here knock, open the door and holler a greeting then walk on in. Yeah, it's still kind of Mayberry-ish here.
Old 03-17-2010, 10:43 AM

I wish also our children, grandchildren could grow up and not feel the pressures they do now. Poor things, but alot is our fault, pushing for less punishment for doing things that are wrong. Plus this reality tv has got to GO.