Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
What ever Happened to the Good ol' Days...... >

What ever Happened to the Good ol' Days......

What ever Happened to the Good ol' Days......

Old 03-17-2010, 01:14 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by reneebobby
I wish also our children, grandchildren could grow up and not feel the pressures they do now. Poor things, but alot is our fault, pushing for less punishment for doing things that are wrong. Plus this reality tv has got to GO.
Remember the movie "Running Man"? It was about a reality show based in the future. I thought this was never going to happen, a "Reality show"?!?!? Who would watch something stupid like that.....

This was what 10 years before they became popular......

I guess it just shows you what we think is impossible now will become reality in the future, hence Lasers, Space Travel, Cell Phones, and Computers.

Billy
Old 03-17-2010, 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by marsye
I would love to live in Mayberry :thumbup:
me too, and go to picnics and go fishing, and to the dance on Sat. night.
Old 03-17-2010, 02:34 PM
Power Poster

Raptureready you must have grown up in my neighborhood. That is exactly what we did. Behind janets house was a big woods and we would play out there for hours.
Old 03-18-2010, 05:57 AM

Originally Posted by Lostn51
You all do raise a good point but at least the kids could play outside and not have to worry about a drive by shooting or some fool going into an Elementary School shooting the place up because she was pissed at the Principle.

I am a techie from the word go, but I could live life without all of technology and it would not bother me a bit.

Nothing wrong with calling someone listening to the party line. And whats so bad about picking up a pen and paper and writing a letter. Sitting around the radio listening to the news and George and Gracie Burns. I have a 60" flat screen sitting in front of me right now but I could live life without it.

Our Presidents had a military background, and you could sing "God Bless America" and not be sued because it might upset someone. In God We Trust and The Ten Commandments actually meant something and was not shunned if they were on public display.

I asked my wife and kids this question last night..........Would you be willing to give up everything you know now to go back to the late 40's to early 50's.

Their answer was yes they would, and so would I!!!

Billy

All of you raise really good points but I would NEVER go back! I've fought too hard for some things, like woman's rights, to return to any age of suppression and ignorance. My motto is, if you don't like your environment, change it! There's no reason to give up all the good things we've gained. Would you opt for the medical technology of fifty years ago? I'd opt for a medical system where a doctor actually had time to talk to a patient -- again, the policies in place which make it impossible for this one-on-one need to be changed.
Old 03-18-2010, 06:57 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by QBeth
All of you raise really good points but I would NEVER go back! I've fought too hard for some things, like woman's rights, to return to any age of suppression and ignorance. My motto is, if you don't like your environment, change it! There's no reason to give up all the good things we've gained. Would you opt for the medical technology of fifty years ago? I'd opt for a medical system where a doctor actually had time to talk to a patient -- again, the policies in place which make it impossible for this one-on-one need to be changed.
Its funny that you brought up the doctor thing. My family physician still makes house calls!

He has always done this since he started his practice and he and I are not but 5 years apart in age. But he has one of the largest practices in town with a group of 8 of 10 doctors and I attribute it to his ethics and values. Needless to say I have not stepped into a doctors office in the last 20 or so years.

But would I really leave everything behind to live back then......the answer is still the same YES.

Billy
Old 03-18-2010, 07:38 AM

I gradutated high school and got married during the 50's and no one I knew lived the TV life the shows portray, I love to watch Leave it to Beaver. But come on, did women really stay home all day in a shirtwaist dress, pearls and high heels? As a child I did go out and play all day and my parent's didn't worry about me. We also have atomic bomb drills at school because we feared Russia was going to attach us. Urban living was going downhill, city gangs were there, and talk about drive by crime - we lived where the Gallo's and Profaci's hung out. Moved to the surburbs in 1960 and felt it was safe for my kids to play outdoors and not have be with them at all times but then a neighbor's child was molested and killed in the fields my kids played in.

Back then there was good and bad things to remember. I'm just as happy with my life as I was back then when we didn't have a dime, I'm glad it's a given that woman drive, are encouraged to educate themselves and have jobs, careers or be stay at home Moms (down side is that today we're expected to do both). Back then media didn't cover 'certain issues' and today they tell us lots more than we ever need to know. May in Jersey
Old 03-18-2010, 08:11 AM

My growing-up years in the 1970s were much like what we think of as the '50s. I'd go back to the '70s in a heartbeat.

What I miss:

-- neighborhoods that you could walk through on sidewalks and with streetlamps to see by at night (but of course, many rural neighborhoods never had these things)
-- knowing your neighbors (as opposed to these bedroom suburbs and huge apartment complexes where no one knows anyone)
-- it was normal for old folks to be part of the community, not segregated off in "retirement communities"
-- families could afford to have one parent stay home to be there for the kids, keep the house cleaned, prepare home-cooked meals
-- a college education wasn't required just to earn a living, and people who got one didn't have to spend the rest of their lives paying for it
-- it wasn't typical to have to spend dozens of years paying off a mortgage, either
-- houses built of real materials instead of flimsy synthetics
-- products made to last (though I believe "planned obsolescence" started in the '50s)
-- most products were Made in America
-- more mom 'n' pop stores, not just chains all selling the same things
-- fruit sold in stores was ripe or close to it, not picked too early from the trees. Pears were yellow. Remember yellow pears? Ever see them in groceries any more?
-- there were bakeries, and you could buy things one by one, not only by the package. Things were baked fresh that day, and they tasted good. Cookies weren't mushy.
-- travel by air was safer, more comfortable, and the airports were lovely to be in
-- we treated each other a little more formally, were more likely to be courteous and respectful

On the other hand, there are things I wouldn't want to return to:
-- minorities persecuted just for being alive
-- double standards for men vs. women regarding work and many other things
-- everything being closed on Sunday; non-Christian holidays not being taken into consideration.
-- the lack of technology
-- the lower level of medical knowledge
-- the lack of diversity

We can have "the good ol' days" in the here and now by keeping (or bringing back) the best things, but a lot depends on where we live.

Many neighborhoods are still quite safe for kids to play in; some were never safe. Drive-by shootings don't happen in most neighborhoods. On the other hand, the low-income areas where they do usually happen have always had problems. The real problem is poverty.
Old 03-18-2010, 12:14 PM
Banned

Well I am from the south and we never had much crime and hoodlums like the big cities up north had back in the day. It hasnt been but recently (the last 15-20 years) that crime has had some sort of impact here where I live. Mostly it has always been laid back casual living, but I am moving out to the middle of nowhere just so I can get away from it all.

Like I said earlier the most exciting thing that happen out in the area that my land is located is Deer season!! And the closest neighbor is 3 miles away.

Billy
Old 03-18-2010, 02:07 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Lostn51
Mostly it has always been laid back casual living, but I am moving out to the middle of nowhere just so I can get away from it all.
Then can't you create your environment to suit whatever "time" you want to live in? I want to see pictures of your wife in high heels, perfectly coiffed, and in pearls running the vacuum. pleeeeease. :D
Old 03-18-2010, 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by Stummel
I'm pretty sure that life for most people wasn't anything like those tv shows, just like life for most of us isn't like the Cosby Show, Gilmore Girls or Sex and the City.
Maybe some things were safer, but there was also more accepted racism and sexism and options for a lot of people and women were very limited.
I agree - there's good and bad with both then and now. I'm not sure there's really more crime now, just we have the ability to know about it faster.