Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
What kind of climate is this?? >

What kind of climate is this??

What kind of climate is this??

Old 12-28-2011, 03:57 AM

southern Louisiana We harvest our cabbage, lettuce, beets, carrots, and broccoli all winter.
Old 12-28-2011, 04:12 AM

I am in Bloomfield, New York, about 30 minutes south east of Rochester and we have had very little snow. The plants may be confused, and the cats do not know whether to shed or grow hair, but I love it. It makes getting out to shop and do other things so much easier with no snow!
Old 12-28-2011, 05:08 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by granny64 View Post
southern Louisiana We harvest our cabbage, lettuce, beets, carrots, and broccoli all winter.
............ though I don't quite think your "winter" is anywhere near like the NY winters the OP is used to!!!
Old 12-28-2011, 05:13 AM
Swap Hosts

It really IS wonderful, isn't it? I'm in New York, too, but as far south as you can go without falling in the ocean. My Martha Stewart Apricot roses have been blooming all along and I've even picked some raspberries! I was actually thinking that I could probably get some peas started!
Old 12-28-2011, 05:23 AM

St. Paul, Minnesota here. We just broke a record with +52 degrees! Yesterday it was windy and cold. There is no snow on the ground (which I can handle just fine). It is supposed to start snowing any time now. I am not going to hold my breath, because up here you don't know what is going to happen. Holy Cow one year 1992 I think it was, we had 20 some inches of snow on Hallowe'en and had winter from then on until April. Worst year!!!!!! And then we have winters with normal amounts, subnormal amounts and overnormal amounts of snow. We live with it! Because, we all know that snow melts and Minnesota can get hot, muggy, mosquito-y and then we all complain about that. So, right now it is +24 degrees. But there is no wind. Thank Heaven for that! The snow will come, we will have a few snow emergencies, we will have to shovel, we will get out the snow blower, we will cuss and swear and then we will come into the house saying "That wasn't too bad." Carpe Diem!!!!!! Edie
Old 12-28-2011, 05:55 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by QuiltE View Post
............ though I don't quite think your "winter" is anywhere near like the NY winters the OP is used to!!!
I'm in South Louisiana and our lovely winters are a tradeoff for the hot summers which are more tolerable to me than cold dark winters. Today it will be 60 and sunny but the sun always makes it seem warmer. Sometimes we have a few cold and wet days but we are patient and then a few days later the warmish sun returns. Love it here except for the hurricanes.
Old 12-28-2011, 07:37 AM

When we left our home last Thursday to go to my daughter's, it was minus 6 degrees outside and didn't get over 15 all day. Today, our first day home, it's 40 degrees outside when we woke up and going to get to 60 today!!!! We have NO snow!!! We usually have at least 1 foot on a bad year and known to have 5 feet of snow!!!! WEIRD doesn't explain it!!!!!
Old 12-28-2011, 07:51 AM

Here in So. Jersey we have had alot of rain, BUT I don't have to shovel rain like I had to do last year with all of the snowstorms we had...it was such a long, long winter last year...I am not complaining at all...I will take the rain anytime...Naomi
Old 12-28-2011, 08:11 AM

I really think the weather is WEIRD all over this year.
This may be the lull before the storm -
maybe we should prepare for what is coming next -
I'll bet we are in for some really rough stuff to come.

I live in SC and we have been Up & Down in temps
sooo far.

J J
Old 12-28-2011, 08:18 AM
Power Poster

I live in Iowa. No white Christmas for us this year. We didn't even wear coats to load up the car. It's supposed to be in the 50s New Years Eve. Weird weather for sure.