Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
What Kind of Pillow Do You Sleep On? >

What Kind of Pillow Do You Sleep On?

What Kind of Pillow Do You Sleep On?

Old 10-29-2013, 07:04 AM

Oh I love that this post got started and hearing what people say. I have been using the feather pillows from my youth and just recently had to give them up.. Needless to say I am struggling finding a pillow that I like. The ones my whole family were the feather pillow that were blue stripped, remember them? Well I have been searching for one of those pillows and can't seem to find them. I looked online and spent over $100 for a 90/10 feather pillow with 10 being down! The cars the pillow is in is soooo noisy, the pillow does not feel like a feather pillow. I am so disappointed! I loved those old feather pillows because you could ball them up or fold them. I can not seem to find a good old fashion feather pillow! All the down ones are too hot, foam and memory is too stiff! Oh my if anyone knows what I am talking about or where to get "a real feather pillow" please share. It seems most people like down! What's the matter with me?
Old 10-29-2013, 07:19 AM

great question! This has become a big issue for me as well. For some reason I cannot find a pillow that keeps up to my needs, and the money we have spent trying to find the right one for me. Do not like poly fill or solid foam, one goes flat and the other won't give in any way shape or form. Most end up with a hard spot right under my ear, wake up with pain shooting through it. Have thought about the water pillow, but am afraid of what I will end up with. Am now using a feather pillow but need to fluff it numerous times during the night.
Old 10-29-2013, 07:44 AM

Originally Posted by MartiMorga View Post
great question! This has become a big issue for me as well. For some reason I cannot find a pillow that keeps up to my needs, and the money we have spent trying to find the right one for me. Do not like poly fill or solid foam, one goes flat and the other won't give in any way shape or form. Most end up with a hard spot right under my ear, wake up with pain shooting through it. Have thought about the water pillow, but am afraid of what I will end up with. Am now using a feather pillow but need to fluff it numerous times during the night.
Hey MartiMorga... I hear you! I am in constant search. What kind or where did you get your feather pillow. I like a pillow I can mush around. You could always send me a pm so we don't put anyone's names on here! I have a hard time sleeping and the pillow doesn't help. I keep thinking at some point my pillow will become quiet but ....not so much! Should I wash it? How would I dry it...as you can see I am desperate!
Old 10-29-2013, 08:13 AM

Many years ago I had a shredded foam pillow. Loved it.
Wish I knew where to find one now.
Old 10-29-2013, 09:49 AM
Power Poster

I have down pillows and wash them every six months or so. You can't hurt down by washing in cool water. Ducks get wet all the time.

When growing up we were told to sleep on our backs for better sleep. My pillow is used more for shoulder support. I rarely wake up during the night to turn from my back. My DH tosses and turns too much to feel rested and blames his pillow. LOL

Last edited by BellaBoo; 10-29-2013 at 09:57 AM.
Old 10-29-2013, 10:23 AM

love my down and feather pillows. Hubby uses fiber fill and I replace them every 2 years or so. I hate them-I just wash mine and then in to the dryer. I use to hang them out but outside clothes have been banned in our neighbourhood. Miss the fresh crisp sheets and the clean air smell!!
Old 10-29-2013, 10:25 AM

I have a memory foam mattress and a memory foam cervical style pillow, and have never slept so well. Best of all, no morning pain from old back and neck injuries.
Old 10-29-2013, 10:54 AM

My grandmothers down pillows.
Old 10-29-2013, 11:42 AM
Power Poster

I sleep on a big fluffy stuffy pillow.
now, my dh, is nuts. wheni first met him 7 yr ago, he slep on one flat pancake pillow, not even worthy of the work pillpw, or pancake. more of the thickness of a sunday newspaper. then...I come along. he is now sleeping on the (3) fluffy stuffy pillows, almost half up. what is wrong with this man?!?!?!
Old 10-29-2013, 12:49 PM

I love a feather pillow; but have a hard time getting past the smell of having been slept on for 40 years without being washed. I didn't know you could wash a down pillow.

So, in the meantime, all my good feather pillows rest on our extra bed while I try out this one or that one from JCP or Walmart that I think I might like--and don't. And wake up with a stiff neck, sore ear, or whatever else I can blame on my pillow.

Maybe I'll give the "wash and dry" effort a try. Thanks for the ideas, y'all.