Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
What Kind of Pillow Do You Sleep On? >

What Kind of Pillow Do You Sleep On?

What Kind of Pillow Do You Sleep On?

Old 10-29-2013, 02:55 PM

I also am a big fan of a water pillow. No more neck & shoulder pains!
Old 10-29-2013, 03:01 PM

If you're gonna wash down pillows, throw some clean tennis balls into the dryer, with them. The balls will beat against the pillow, plumping and fluffing it, while it dries.
Old 10-29-2013, 04:07 PM
Banned

My husband has the queen size. I purchased a king size, but stopped
using it because hubs said it took up to much room.

I am now using a standard size.

When I purchased my king I also got an additional 5# bag of buckwheat
hulls (had grand plans to use as pincushion filler that didn't work out though).

If you go back to my earlier post you will see a link to where I purchased mine
from if you are interested.

Originally Posted by nativetexan View Post
I keep changing mine off and on. memory foam, soft, hard, and a smaller walnut husk one (or what ever is in it) that I love and wish were larger. Good luck.
Old 10-29-2013, 05:58 PM

I have a $5.00 pillow from target. No issues sleeping. My husband has a very expensive pillow and he sleeps horribly. He got the pillow at the mattress store.

I think i sleep well because I work full time, run like crazy doing mommy stuff as I have 2 kids and I work out hard 5-6 times per week. I just pass out. I think a good nights sleep has more to do with that. My husbands job is to "keep the sofa from levitating". In Other words, he is a couch potato.
Old 10-29-2013, 06:05 PM

I'm allergic to feathers, down, so I sleep on foam pillows. Husband sleeps with no pillow or a towel folded up. Can you believe it? His Mother slept on a doll pillow.
Old 10-29-2013, 07:39 PM

I bought a cooling pillow at Costco, it really does cool me off, it's very dense and heavy, since I have a GERD problem I have to elevate the upper part of my body I lay out three pillows and lay the cooling pillow over the top. It smells when you first take it out of the pkg. I let my air out in the garage for a week before bringing it into the house.
Old 10-29-2013, 08:30 PM
Power Poster

I haven't read all the replies but pretty sure my answer may be different.
I have fibromyalgia and I sleep on my stomach. Always have.
I had a stiff neck and shoulders all the time for years, until I taught my dgd to make a small pillow for her baby sister.
I would sleep with kids in the big king sized bed in guest room and one night when it was time to go to bed, my pillow was in the guest room so I grabbed baby sister's pillow to sleep on.
Wow! what a difference.
I had been sleeping on too high a surface for my neck.
So, as you can imagine I had to make one for myself. Who knew?
Old 10-30-2013, 11:15 AM
Power Poster

I can't breathe when I use down or foam and poly batting type stuff makes my head sweat. I made a pillow out of cut up silk blouse scraps for the stuffing. It is not real big but it works for me.
Old 10-30-2013, 12:43 PM

Can't use down or feathers near my face because of asthma. I actually **gasp** buy the under $10 pillows (the company that has the cute sheep for their mascot) extra firm for me and firm for DH. Love them! DH sweats a lot and ruins pillows, so I have to change them every couple of months. Would hate to lay out big $$$ for really good pillows only to throw them away after two months use. Just my 2 cents...

Anita
Old 10-30-2013, 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltnNan View Post
i still have the same down pillows from a wedding gift more than 40 years ago. the down is wonderful
40 years? I hope you have been washing it and throwing it in the dryer to kill the mites. Can those mites all be killed off, and are there mite feces within that pillow? We change our pillows every year and sometimes sooner. They can be bought for less than $5 ea at Kohls with sale and 30% off additional card. I use 2 of them as they are soft and lofty polyfill and I have to sleep elevated. My husband has the Serta Cool Comfort shredded foam pillow and sleeps like a baby. The pillow can be scrunched soft and does get firmer, which is what he prefers. He sweats easily through his head so the cool comfort works for him. They come with a zippered casing, and I add another one along with the pillowcase so any odors do not go through to the pillow itself. Those are about $22 on sale and coupon. As we have allergies and asthma, it is worth it to spend the money every year vs. finding out what is living inside those pillows. My all-time favorite pillow I have ever slept on was a shredded foam pillow. I haven't found just the right one since and my husbands foam one gets too hard during the night for my comfort.