Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
What was the most thoughtful gift that you received? >

What was the most thoughtful gift that you received?

What was the most thoughtful gift that you received?

Old 12-26-2009, 11:14 PM
Power Poster

Both of these stories are so heartwarming and touching :D:D:D
Old 12-27-2009, 12:50 AM

9 yrs ago my daughter was helping me undress our Christmas tree.. I was newly in a wheelchair and she was just 11. She asked me as she was taking the ornaments down which was my favorite.. I mentioned a bunny in a basket Radko which happened to be as she turned in her hands. She dropped it somehow and it shattered. She was crushed. Cried so hard I said honey I have SO many its only one. Dont worry. Well now.. 8 yrs later.. for Christmas she went online and found three .. she couldnt remember which one but knew it was like them and on a limited budget (college) she bought all of them for me. I forgot about that ornament 9 yrs ago.. she carried it with her all this time. And I will love those three even more than any other from here on.
Old 12-27-2009, 01:56 AM

Originally Posted by amma
What was the most thoughtful, touching gift that you received this year?
I don't know if it really counts as a gift but it made my holiday..........

I went into the attic at my parents house over Christmas because my mom said she wanted to clean it out and she was sure that there was still a lot of things up there from my (and my siblings) childhood. So my brother and I went into the attic and began looking around. I already posted how I found the quilting blocks of my great grandmother. But while up there I noticed a big black trash bag and when I looked inside there were a bunch of the stuffed animals that I had when I was little. There were two in particular that I found that meant a lot to me. One was a small teddy bear that my grandmother had given me when I was in middle school ( I love bears and usually get something bear themed each year). I thought it had been lost never to be seen again so imagine my joy when I found it. The Second one I found was a monkey that I used to drag around with me until I was about 6 years old. I thought it had been thrown away years ago. But my mom had found it about 10 years ago in an old trunk and had fixed it by reattaching one of its arms and had meant to give it to me many Christmas's ago.

These were the most thoughtful things I got this year because they brought back memories.
Old 12-27-2009, 06:48 AM

BB,
After High School, my DB ran into our 5th grade teacher. She didn't have children and he would help her out with odd jobs around the house.
She wanted to leave him everything when she passed away. I don't remember how it turned out, we are in our 60's now and we thought she was old when we were in her class 50 years ago. She must be at least 150 by now. LOL
Old 12-27-2009, 06:57 AM

Originally Posted by amma
Awwww such sweet gifts!!! :D:D:D I am getting teary eyed after reading all through them again!!!
I know your Christmas today will bring wonderful memories as well. You will have to let us know.
Have a great day with your family.
Old 12-27-2009, 07:54 AM
Power Poster

Awww Elisabrat...what a sweet DGD!!! I bet she was elated to have found those and to have been able to feel like she made it all better for her Grama!!! I am so happy that she can let that feeling of having upset you go now :D:D:D
Old 12-27-2009, 07:58 AM
Power Poster

Henry that is awesome!!! Having something so well loved from your childhood back in your arms again must be very exciting!!!
I saved my youngest brother's stuffed dog 34+ yrs ago from being donated...and I gave it back to him after he retired from the military... it made him teary eyed with the memories of it being his constant companion too.....
Old 12-27-2009, 07:59 AM
Power Poster

Thank you Bettia :D:D:D I will!!!
Old 12-27-2009, 08:27 AM

The most wonderful gift that a whole group of people gave me this whole year was rescuing my husband from another state when they said he needed nursing home care. He was completely bed ridden. It took a number of days but we got him home and he has improved and we Thank God every day we didn't leave him there. He now gets a around some and can do some daily care of himself. LIFE IS GOOD. No, he will never be the same but the family and friends that came to our rescue were unbelievable and they still are there for us. What a wonderful gift to help someone ..... I try to return the favor (in smaller ways) every days as I am full time caregiver but with help from friends when needed. It is a great world and we have so much to be thankful for.
Old 12-27-2009, 11:43 PM
Power Poster

Awww that was THE best gift :D:D:D I am so happy to hear that he has improved!!! (((HUGS)))