Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
What was pattern of your 1st Quilt and did you keep it? >

What was pattern of your 1st Quilt and did you keep it?

What was pattern of your 1st Quilt and did you keep it?

Old 10-08-2011, 08:52 AM

Logcabin for my Mom and Dad 28 years ago.
Old 02-01-2012, 11:37 AM

Two pinwheel quilts for my twin grand-daughters when they were born (today is their 7 b-day BTW). Most of my quilts have been gifts.
Old 02-01-2012, 12:10 PM

It was a 9 patch. Pretty much the only pattern I knew about. A friend who also worked for basset hound rescue had some squares of fabric with hounds on them already cut out, actually 2 different fabrics. I had just gotten my humble new Kenmore sewing machine and she asked if I thought I could put a quilt together with the blocks she had. In my complete ignorance I said, "I guess so". Believe it or not I even with taking 2 weeks to figure out how to thread my machine(it had been 20 years since I'd used a sewing machine and I knew nothing of quilting other than watching my stepmother hand quilt tops) I did finish a Queen sized 9 patch quilt with sashing and borders AND matching shams in time for it to be donated for that spring's Waddle Pawction where it sold for an unbelievable, to me, $300.00. I learned soooo many things NOT to do and most certainly did many things the long way around. doG help her if she ever has to wash the quilt(currently resides in a little used guest bedroom). If I had realized how truly clueless I was I'd have never finished the quilt.
Old 02-01-2012, 12:19 PM

Stack n whack. Favorite pattern to this day, and yes, I still have it. Wouldn't part with it. It would not mean the same to anyone else. LOL
Old 02-01-2012, 04:37 PM

My 1st was a log cabin quilt and I did keep it...it's still my favorite
Old 02-01-2012, 04:40 PM

It was a quilt as you go log cabin, for my daughter's wedding.
Old 02-01-2012, 06:42 PM

My first quilt was the Ohio star pattern.My daughter still has it. I was not raised around quilting, so I knew nothing. This was in the early 90s. I bought beautiful cream and bright blue polester cotton(I didn't know that you were supposed to use 100% cotton. I found the pattern in a magazine. Had never heard of rotary cutters, used sissors. Didn't know about 1/4 inch seams. I quilted it in my lap, in spite of everything it turned out very well. It took me 13 months to finish. Said never again, but 12 years later jumped in with all I had. Usually quilt some each week. I have progressed so much since then.
Old 02-02-2012, 06:37 AM

It was a scrappy!
Old 02-03-2012, 07:58 AM

My first quilt was made in 1977, for the birth of a nephew. I had sewn clothing for many years, but this was my first quilt. Unfortunately, I wasn't as "savvy" then as I am now about quilting. I chose the drunkard's path block. My fabrics were a red with white dots and white with red dots. For batting I believe I used an old cotton sheet (hey, we live in Texas and it doesn't get that cold here). Finally, the backing was red flannel. And of course I didn't wash any of my fabrics before using them. The piecing went OK even though there were curved seams. The layering went OK too. I echo-quilted it on my Singer Golden Touch-N-Sew. Because I hadn't washed the fabrics, the dye in the red flannel on the back came off on the bed of my sewing machine. I never got those red stains off that machine bed, even though I scrubbed it with Comet! But it did turn out pretty and my BIL and SIL loved it.

Best part of all, my nephew loved it! He turned 34 last year. I hadn't seen him in quite a while (they live in another state), but we did get the chance to visit his family and he told me he still has my quilt, quite worn from use, but now stored in his mother's cedar chest to keep it safe.
Old 02-03-2012, 08:00 AM

Churn Dash for my dad!!!