what is the point???!!!!!

Old 01-15-2011, 08:08 AM

Well, I've watched 4 out of the 5 at some time or another, and it's pretty much just brainless activity err or non-activity I should say...I did in fact have nothing better to do, but I didn't turn the channel after landing on it either...hmmmm?? :D
Old 01-15-2011, 08:13 AM

I am on that box with you!
Originally Posted by bobbie1
Maybe it is to show us how the other "half" lives?? No offense intended but I don't care how they live. Wouldn't it be nice to have shows like Walton Mountain, Little House on the Prairie, Leave it to Beaver, etc...shows that were family friendly and left us with positive images..morals? Maybe I am showing my age but I think maybe it could make a big difference in the world if we took some of the violence off the screen. Ok..will step down from my box. Lol !!
Old 01-15-2011, 08:19 AM
Power Poster

I go right past the channels that have those shows! not to my taste at all. Can't think why anyone would watch them. if no one did, they would go away.
Old 01-15-2011, 08:21 AM

I have often wondered if people watch them so they (maybe subconciously even) can feel better about themselves since the people on those shows are such jerks.
Old 01-15-2011, 08:22 AM

And these people are called "celebrities"?? I thought that meant someone whose life should be celebrated!
Old 01-15-2011, 08:32 AM

My boyfriend likes to watch these shows for the drama. Personally, I think they're stupid and shouldn't be on t.v. The language is horrible and they don't set any kind of example for anyone. Why would I want to sit and watch some foul-mouthed bratty adult cry, whine, and drink all day? I wouldn't and I don't.
Old 01-15-2011, 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by ptquilts
Could someone please tell me what is the point with the following TV "reality" shows?
Kendra
Bad Girls Club
Kardashians
Real Housewives of anywhere
Jersey Shore

OK, I get the reality shows like Ax Men, etc, people working, or Little People, etc, people with an unusual life situation.

But as far as I can see, NOTHING happens on these other ones. Any time I have tuned in (and it is not for long) people are just sitting around talking (at best) and hollering (at worst).

Are we supposed to be fascinated because they are "famous"?
I must be getting old, I don't even know why these people are famous or who they are.
I can NOT stand these type of shows either,to me they just teach the younger ones that if they act like an A-- they may become famous.
Old 01-15-2011, 08:42 AM

Kudos to all of you. I agree I think this type of show and all of the violent shows is what is wrong with our society today. There is no longer any shock value to disfunctional behavior.
Old 01-15-2011, 08:44 AM
Power Poster

The money is outrageous for the people on the show. The min. wage per 'star' is half a million for a season, if the show becomes a hit, the 'star' makes the producers millions as well as themselves. Most of the reality shows of this type of junk are produced by Ryan Seacreast of American Idol.
The one show I did like was Little People and most of TLC, History, and Discover reality shows are informative and entertaining.
Old 01-15-2011, 09:07 AM

I avoid those shows! I can't stand most reality tv. It is a joke. The one on MTV 16 and Pregnant is almost encouraging girls to get pregnant to be on tv! And Murray is just down right disgusting! I have never watched that show but my dil does and thinks it is "funny". I don't like that kind of entertainment!