Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
What processed foods do you eat? >

What processed foods do you eat?

What processed foods do you eat?

Old 07-24-2011, 07:09 PM

Nothing. Recently I got to wanting mac & cheese, so got a box of it and fixed it as directed. The taste wasn't much, just a lot of carbs. So hunted up an old recipe and made it with real cheese,
real butter, etc and it was delicious.

I could not even help a friends' GD save some coupons for her school to buy equipment. I simply did not have any.

I do buy cans of dog food for my turtle, and canned salmon for me. And every few months I get the hungrys for Tutti Fruttis and sit and crunch them till I'm full and not wanting any more for months and months. Don't keep them in the house even. I toss out what I don't eat that one day.
Old 07-24-2011, 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by boysmomoflabs
Sounds like you're craving salt as those are high (extremely) in sodium content.
You know, I probably am craving salt. I've been sweating huge amounts in this heat and drinking tons of water to make up for it, but haven't done anything to make up for the salt loss. But I don't think salt cravings entirely explain it, because there are other things I'd normally choose for that, such as salty snacks like chips.

Originally Posted by Samelia's Mum
My kids love mac & cheese - the microwaveable packs.
I always have a supply of those packs in the cupboard for mealtime emergencies.
Oh, now I do use boxed, frozen and microwaveable mac & cheese! I wouldn't know how to make it myself and get it to taste like Kraft's or Stouffer's.
Old 07-24-2011, 07:34 PM

I occasionally have some boxed pasta as a side dish. I tend to make most of my foods from scratch. More so now since I am recently "retired"
Old 07-24-2011, 07:36 PM

None of the above! We are fresh veggie people and have been for years. I do crave Hormel Chili w/o beans about twice a year and buy a small can and throughly enjoy it..lol.
Old 07-24-2011, 08:03 PM

Old El Paso Taco Meal Kit

The ground beef is fresh and I purchase the lean but the soft and hard taco shells can't be that good for us.

I am guilty of purchasing a lot of foods that cook fast because of the time restraint I have. Sometimes I try to cook in bulk so I can warm up food on days I am rushed but not always that good at it. I work 6 days a week and sew on the 7th. Priorities, right? :D
Old 07-24-2011, 08:17 PM

Well, this all sounds really great...but since I found out right after my triple bypass three months ago, I have pancreatitis, I have just about quit eating. Everything makes my stomach hurt, so I will just live vicariously through all of you. Enjoy, nothing wrong with processed foods once in awhile.
Old 07-24-2011, 08:39 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Lisanne
Recently I've been craving food that comes out of boxes and cans. Okay, I always eat a certain amount of that stuff, but this past week I've eaten stuff I stopped buying years ago. So I wondered, what does everyone else like in the way of processed foods?

I mean, we all know they're not good for you, and yet people buy them, because store shelves are full of them.

I'm not talking about restaurant food or snacks, but about stuff you prepare.

Things I bought and made this past week:

Hamburger Helper
Betty Crocker Au Gratin Potatoes
Stove Top Stuffing
Chef Boyardee Cheese Ravioli

What do you buy?

(I know, this is an inane topic for a thread, but I really got to wondering.)
the only processed thing I buy is Liverwurst! unless you count butter and cheese!
Old 07-24-2011, 08:46 PM

Just 2 - Velvetta Mac & Cheese approx 4 xs a yr and Spanish Rice-A-Roni a couple times a wk with a can of Ro-Tel tomato's mixed in Mmm -I 'd rather have rice with dinner than potato's
Old 07-24-2011, 08:50 PM
Banned

Oh..w.ell We are guilty of a few.....or more.

We love DirtyRice, Ramen, canned foods such as chilis, tuna, chicken....I don't know what else....lots.

;-)
Old 07-24-2011, 11:40 PM

I try to eat fresh but make tons of chili using canned beans in crock pot. Put in baggies and freeze! Do like the new Mac n cheese in the bag. Not much for Mac and cheese but it's ok. Occas use box potato. My DH uses boxed junk food and sand meat.