Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
What should one do if one is given something that one dislikes? >

What should one do if one is given something that one dislikes?

What should one do if one is given something that one dislikes?

Old 06-13-2016, 01:37 PM

Well I think whenever you are given a gift you should be polite and appreciate the thought. Just that someone cared about you enough to give you a gift is a blessing you know.

I know what you are saying though, that is why I hesitate every time I think of gifting a quilt.

I started a quilt when my nephew got engaged and I was concerned. I couldn't help but to wonder if they would think "why would you give me this?" especially when you think about how many other gifts come along at a wedding

You know what, I come to the realization that I wanted to make the quilt. I don't know if I care if they love it as much as I do. Something in me just wants to sew. I can't help myself.

maybe it will sit in a closet or maybe they will use it... but I know I was going to sew either way

I do hope they use it though
Old 06-13-2016, 03:08 PM

I only give premade quilts and always ask if someone wants one. Then I let them choose from what I have. Sometimes they say no. Doesn't hurt my feelings at all and much better than spending all that time and money on something I don't like. I'll never forget seeing an old high school friend after several years. I was in her town at a quilt show. I put my quilts in the trunk of the car, we talked and chatted and laughed. I never had the chance to offer her a quilt. During our conversation, she asked what on earth I would do with a bunch of old quilts. They were her MIL's, now deceased. I had a good chuckle over that one. Thank goodness, I didn't present her with a quilt.
Old 06-13-2016, 04:48 PM

My Mother (whom I lost a year and a half ago) had a lovely little card she would give with her gifts. I don't know where it originated, but it was attributed to Jane Merchant. It said:

Whatever gift I give to you is always yours.
Give it away of keep it as you will.
The special books, the china miniatures,
The little birds carved with beguiling skill --
I shall not peer about your house to see
If they are dusted well and duly shown
To visitors, as treasured things may be
I made a gift of them and not a loan.
I know that even gifts sincerely loved,
Both for themselves and for the giver's sake,
Have in life's many changes often proved
A burden; be relieved of the mistake
Of thinking you must keep a gift I give
(Except my love) as long as you shall live.

I think that my Mom was a very wise and noble lady.
Old 06-13-2016, 05:09 PM
Power Poster

[QUOTE=Cats8;7576295]My Mother (whom I lost a year and a half ago) had a lovely little card she would give with her gifts. I don't know where it originated, but it was attributed to Jane Merchant. It said:

Whatever gift I give to you is always yours.
Give it away of keep it as you will.
The special books, the china miniatures,
The little birds carved with beguiling skill --
I shall not peer about your house to see
If they are dusted well and duly shown
To visitors, as treasured things may be
I made a gift of them and not a loan.
I know that even gifts sincerely loved,
Both for themselves and for the giver's sake,
Have in life's many changes often proved
A burden; be relieved of the mistake
Of thinking you must keep a gift I give
(Except my love) as long as you shall live.

I think that my Mom was a very wise and noble lady.[/QUOTE

I love that verse - may I have permission to use it?
Old 06-13-2016, 05:17 PM

I guess it depends on the recipient. I have a quilt that my grandmother made for me when I was a child. My mother would never let me drag it around so it's in beautiful shape. The colors are not colors I favor but the fact that it was made from me especially by my grandmother I never met means more to me than having it match my couch. I love and treasure that quilt and get it out and wrap myself in it every once in a while.

A lot of people seem to be more concerned that they get exactly what they want even if it's a cheap made in China quilt rather than appreciate the effort and time put into something just for them. There's not really anything you can do about it except just not bother to make them anything. Buy them a cheapie from Walmart and make quilts for those who appreciate them.
Old 06-13-2016, 07:58 PM

bearisgrey,
Of course you may use it. I looked up Jane Merchant and she was an American poet who fought brittle bone disease all her life. I should have known. My mother loved poetry!
Old 06-14-2016, 03:04 AM

Yes, it is better to ask first to see if someone really wants a quilt.
For example: My aunt called my Mother to tell her she makes everyone in the family a 50th anniversary wall hanging. My mother thanked her for her generosity but told her she had no wall space to hang it so please don't make one for her.

It is important to choose your words carefully when asking a person about making them a quilt. I show them several patterns that I have saved in a folder on my computer and let them pick the style that they like. (some like modern, some traditional) I let them know the size of the quilt right away so there is no surprise when they receive it. If they ask for a larger quilt size, I let them know that I only quilt throw size quilts and larger one must be sent out to be quilted at their expense. My mother opted to send her quilt to a long arm quilter and loved choosing the quilt designs for the bed quilt I made her. As for color choices, I think this is the most important question you can ask before making a quilt for someone. If possible let the person go with you to pick from your stash or fabric store. For example: My daughter wanted a Christmas quilt. I took her to choose the fabric. I would never have come up with the colors she picked. End result...fun time shopping with her and she Loves her quilt.

There are times you want to surprise someone with a quilt, so you may have to snoop and find out fav. colors,etc.

Hope this helps you in the future!
Old 06-14-2016, 03:34 AM

The last quilt I gifted to a friend was actually intended to be a charity quilt but my friend seemed to really like it. I normally make quilts in very bright colors and this one was, to use her terms, "grown up colors". So I asked her if she'd like to have it ... making it clear that I would not be upset if she didn't want it. She took it and seemed very pleased to have it. She's done a lot of favors for me so I was equally pleased for her to have it.
Old 06-14-2016, 06:14 AM
Power Poster

I do anonymously quilts so I never know if they are pleased or not. I do make some smaller items for friends and they seem to like what I make.
Old 06-14-2016, 06:25 AM

This is really awkward subject for me. My sister has started giving me handbags for my birthday. They are beautiful and I'm sure quite expensive, but very small. I have never used one of them because my bare essentials won't even fit. I keep telling her how about if we stop buying gifts and just do something special together. So far she hasn't agreed.

I stopped gifting quilts to family. No thank you and they don't take care of them. Yes I know it's a gift, so let it go, but it bothers me, so I've stopped doing it. I'm using my stash for charity quilts and then will purchase supplies for one of my bucket list quilts at a time. I figure I'll have to live to 120 or more to get all this done!