Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
What should one do if one is given something that one dislikes? >

What should one do if one is given something that one dislikes?

What should one do if one is given something that one dislikes?

Old 06-14-2016, 09:35 AM
Power Poster

I have a couple of those. Found a glass vase with a slim neck at the thrift store. Fits perfect nd room for no more.
Originally Posted by Doggramma View Post
All you really can do is say thank you and then do with the gift as you wish. I've also received gifts that I really didn't like or are totally not my taste. Eventually they make it over to Goodwill unfortunately. I've spent too many years having the unwanted items in a closet.

For example, we visited my husband's aunt in CA and went to a beautiful shop with handmade, expensive crafty items. There was a vase of gorgeous blown glass flowers, each one quite expensive. For Christmas his aunt gave me one flower. That was very nice of her, but it was way too long to use in a vase by itself. I'm sure she thought I could add to it, but I wasn't going to spend hundreds of dollars buying glass flowers!
Old 06-14-2016, 07:42 PM

I gift my quilts to family and occasionally special friends. They have all been happily received. I like to see them being used to keep cozy while watching tv, reading ,ect. Hopefully they will all be worn out with use. But....it is no longer mine...if they let the dog get comfy on them, that would be their business because it belongs to them! I also donate quilts for fund raisers. One is going to the cancer auction in 2 weeks. Many people do not realize how many hours and how many dollars go into our quilts.
Old 06-14-2016, 08:39 PM

I give quilts to my brother & his family. The only thing I asked of them is to not use them to change the oil in the car/truck. Get a dolly for that please.
Old 06-14-2016, 09:06 PM

Last time I was at DS's house the g-boys had a tent in back yard and had slept out--and there was a quilt that I'd made for my son that was a real bear to make! But had to remind myself that it was made to be used.

I'm trying to be selective about gifting quilts to family members--trying to do more seasonal small stuff instead cause I realized, especially with my kids, that I've given several and they are both limited in space. I only wish my DIL (who is an awful housekeeper!) would actually use the table toppers I give her on the table instead of as wallhangings--she doesn't want the kids to "mess them up" even though I keep telling her that they are made to be machine washed!
Old 06-15-2016, 05:46 AM

I made things for a close friend that were useable, because I know she's a minimalist. I'd do things like placemats, towels, etc. She lives 3,200 miles away and visits nearby 2 times a year. On the last visit, she told me the grands come to visit and "want to take the things home." So she gives them to them (they are 2 &4). Oh please! But it's not worth losing a friendship over. So for this visit, I'm circumventing it by giving her pillowcases for the grands. The friend herself will get a small, silly gift that she can regift or throw away. It's the thought that is important.
Old 06-15-2016, 05:54 AM
Power Poster

If you made a quilt (something relatively "important") for someone - and the someone did not like it -

I am going to assume that the someone showed the proper appreciation -

Would you prefer that
1) the person tell you that it is not their style and return it to you
2) put it on a shelf and not use it
3) donate it to goodwill or put it in a yard sale
4) donate it to a fundraiser
5) use it for a furniture moving pad
6) give it to someone that loves the item
Old 06-15-2016, 12:01 PM
Power Poster

Everyone I have given a quilt to have really liked them. I have a sort of new Granddaughter in law who loves my quilts. She has about 8-10 and has me to make some for their new camper. She likes whatever color and pattern I choose.
I love that.Of course my Grandson likes them all too.
I have given away most of the quilts I have made over the years. I donated quilts last year to keep people warm, I am sure they loved them and the warmth they provided.
Old 06-15-2016, 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
If you made a quilt (something relatively "important") for someone - and the someone did not like it -

I am going to assume that the someone showed the proper appreciation -

Would you prefer that
1) the person tell you that it is not their style and return it to you
2) put it on a shelf and not use it
3) donate it to goodwill or put it in a yard sale
4) donate it to a fundraiser
5) use it for a furniture moving pad
6) give it to someone that loves the item
Give it to someone that loves the item, or donate to a homeless shelter. I gave a quilt to each of my grandkids. My son thanked me and told me they really loved the quilts so they hung them on the wall of each of the bedrooms. I was happy that they liked them but it was all I could do to not ask how they hung them. I let it go, and decided not to open my mouth. Gift given shouldn't have strings attached, huh?
Old 06-15-2016, 12:30 PM
Power Poster

I began a "tradition" many years ago to make a quilt for each of our bi-annual family reunions, each time I pick out a color or colors for the quilt, the family members send fabric, I make the quilt and it is raffled off at the family reunion. I was extremely disappointed when I received a Christmas card from my nephew, he and the dog were sitting on the floor on top of the quilt. I guess I put more significance on the quilts than a lot of my family, but I feel this is my heritage, especially since any quilts my mom made were used up raising 7 kids, 5 of which were rambunctious boys. At least my kids appreciate the quilts I make them and that's more important.
Old 06-15-2016, 12:43 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by MargeD View Post
I began a "tradition" many years ago to make a quilt for each of our bi-annual family reunions, each time I pick out a color or colors for the quilt, the family members send fabric, I make the quilt and it is raffled off at the family reunion. I was extremely disappointed when I received a Christmas card from my nephew, he and the dog were sitting on the floor on top of the quilt. I guess I put more significance on the quilts than a lot of my family, but I feel this is my heritage, especially since any quilts my mom made were used up raising 7 kids, 5 of which were rambunctious boys. At least my kids appreciate the quilts I make them and that's more important.
I would not have been upset at that - but I am one of those that love my pets and consider them family. It was not in the dog house

I would have taken it as he was with two things precious to him - his dog and the quilt you made.