Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
What is tradition for FOG on wedding day?? >

What is tradition for FOG on wedding day??

What is tradition for FOG on wedding day??

Old 07-31-2011, 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by amma
Maybe gently remind your DS that you just cannot afford this expense? If he still feels it is necessary, then he can pay for the rental :D:D:D
I second this.

It should be noted that probably the bride's family is stuck for a whole lot more expense and might be offended if the other side of the aisle doesn't honor the occasion with the expected degree of formality in their dress - not that I feel this would be justified.

Check eBay and Craigs list and Goodwill for a used tux, perhaps? Also, a cummerbund and bow tie would be easy sewing projects for someone with your skills. Here's a pattern for a cummerbund: http://www.ehow.com/how_2308158_sew-cummerbund.html.

The concept of formal weddings evolved as a test to see if a couple and their respective families can weather future storms of life. :lol:
Old 07-31-2011, 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by jacie
this is not about the FOG and a tuxedo, but my grd daughter is to be married on Aug. 19, at home plate of our White Caps ball field., my question is this..... not being a dress person, I am planning to wear a beautiful lace top with new white slacks.... her only request was NO JEANS! sounds good to me !!
sound ok to you gals?
I wouldnt wear white. I would let the bride be the only one in white.
Old 07-31-2011, 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by jacie
this is not about the FOG and a tuxedo, but my grd daughter is to be married on Aug. 19, at home plate of our White Caps ball field., my question is this..... not being a dress person, I am planning to wear a beautiful lace top with new white slacks.... her only request was NO JEANS! sounds good to me !!
sound ok to you gals?
An outdoor wedding to me, and at a ball park, no less, means to me, something pretty un-formal. I say wear the white slacks and lace top. You'll look great and be comfortable too.

Nita
Old 07-31-2011, 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by kaykwilts
We have another wedding coming up in August..the second son to marry this year. Our son is insisting his Dad rent a tux...a cost we really cannot afford. Dad has a nice soft black suit....think that will be ok? What is the traditional wear for the FOG? You'd think that with this being the fifth child to marry, we'd have this all figured out, but this is the first son to marry in a traditional ceremony in a church building. Any feedback would be appreciated....
Perhaps if son is so insistent on DD wearing a Tux and things are tight for you, then tell son he can pay the rental fee.
Old 07-31-2011, 09:05 PM
Dee

When our son got married, he rented FOG tux and bought my gown. Also rented the hotel for us.
Old 07-31-2011, 10:18 PM

i've been in 12 weddings and i don't remember a single fog outfit. not very significant.
Old 07-31-2011, 10:22 PM
Power Poster

We had a son marry in Feb. and now a daughter in August. DH wears his 10 year old suit. We bought a tie for son's wedding. All the guys wore suits ( I have 6 sons) they already owned. My SIL to be will wear his suit he already owns when he marries my daughter.
Old 07-31-2011, 10:23 PM
Power Poster

This is where we are at with DD's wedding with other items.

Originally Posted by grannypat7925
If that is what son wants, let him foot the bill!
Old 07-31-2011, 10:32 PM
Power Poster

OK the tux sounds really good. LOL

Originally Posted by quilter68
In our family they sometimes ask the men to wear kilts.
Old 08-01-2011, 12:54 AM

Oh dear. Weddings. The stress of dealing with one family multiplies when dealing with two!

I was going to suggest buying a second hand tux but I am glad to see that you have worked something out. Since this is obviously placing a financial strain on you, I would take the price of the suit rental off what I was going to spend on their wedding gift.

Where I got married, many bridal parties wore rental morning suit (ie tails and top hats and cravats). I told my husband that under no circumstances was I going to marry him wearing something he did not own. Likewise I knew my father would prefer to wear his own clothes (DH Dad's was not alive to attend.) LOL he was happy to get a new outfit that he could keep and wear again. I think it is nice to "be yourself" when you get married and I always regret seeing people who have been required to wear something they don't feel comfortable in. But weddings seem to bring that streak out in people!