What washer to buy?

Old 04-06-2019, 06:06 PM

After buying a new washer about 3 years ago, I wish I would have found a repairman for the old machine. I have a Samsung and will probably leave it in the house when we move (if it lasts that long). I would like to find a washer that I can control water level because I don't think enough water goes in for a real clean wash.
Old 04-07-2019, 02:36 AM

I also have a wonderful top loading Whirlpool machine without an agitator... I can fit large comforters in it and it spins quietly. Having done plenty of loads of laundry at my kids’ homes, I wouldn’t be interested in a front loader.
Old 04-07-2019, 03:50 AM

I have a top loader, LG, no agitation, it does have several settings so I can set it to use more or less water. The lid does lock but I can push the button, machine stops and I can throw in the forgotten sock. Press the button and it starts again. There are just two of us but I did get a large one because we have king size bedding. The machine senses the size of the load just like the front loaders. I had an LG front loader and had the mold on the big rubber gasket so I had to dry it and leave the door open. If you do decide on a front loader you can buy stands to raise it up off the floor. I did not have the stands because I'm short and could not reach the top of the machines. So I had to constantly bend over or kneel on the floor to get the clothes out of the washer and dryer.
Old 04-07-2019, 05:26 AM

We have a top loader Maytag w/o agitator. When we bought it we didn't find one with an agitator. It gets our clothes clean, but I'm old school. Have friends that had the front loaders, and that is why we didn't get one of them.
Old 04-07-2019, 05:59 AM

I have a Maytag front loader that is probably 16 yrs. old. The first model after their catastrophic failure in the early 2000s. I can't wait for it to go. Like others, it doesn't use enough water to suspend the dye in new quilts or fabrics. My repairman also recommended a Speed Queen top loader.
Old 04-07-2019, 06:05 AM

I am a Maytag fan. Have had Maytag washers for over 50 years, starting with a top loader. Since then I have had only front loaders and have loved them all. I had some challenges with my first front loader, but after a company recall-refit on the door, and some great advice from my local Maytag dealer, life has been easy-peasy. The advice I received can work for any front loader. About every 2-3 months give the washer a bath with a cup of bleach - full cycle. Follow this up with a bath of 1 cup vinegar - full cycle. Keeps everything clean and no mold. I use a washcloth to wipe out the rubber ring after washing a batch, but other than that I keep the door closed. I love my Maytag Maxima; have had it almost ten years and it is still going strong.
Old 04-07-2019, 08:06 AM

I have a Maytag top load ‘HE’ no agitator. I have hated it from day one. It doesn’t use enough water and I don’t have the control over it I would like! Keep your old one, have it repaired! They don’t make them like that anymore.
Old 04-07-2019, 07:04 PM

I clean houses for about 20 families, Hate front load washers, cant add to any load,shakes all over the place. If I close the door after I use front load washer and leave a few days, the washer stinks. Kinda like it sours... I do not think the front load washers use enough water to clean well. But this is just my thoughts.
Old 04-07-2019, 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by jmoore View Post
I also have a wonderful top loading Whirlpool machine without an agitator... I can fit large comforters in it and it spins quietly. Having done plenty of loads of laundry at my kids’ homes, I wouldn’t be interested in a front loader.
I'm with you. I have a large Whirlpool top loader without an agitator. I can wash just about anything in it. I've even washed a car cover in it. While you do have to put it on pause and wait a minute for it to stop before the lid unlocks, for me that's not a problem. I've been happy with mine.
Old 04-07-2019, 09:12 PM

I have a front loader. got it at lowe's. they do take some getting used to. and i have come around. i happened to read the directions that came with it, because i thought 'well this old dog needs all the help i can get'. it said to leave the door open, between loads, so i have a tea towel, i fold thickly so the door can't close completely. and ever so often i run the 'tub clean cycle'. 5 years down the road, and no smells. and if i need more water, i just add it thru the detergent dispenser for pops grimy mechanic pants , etc. and for quilts. a plant water with a spout works fine. usually a couple gallons for grubbys or a quilt.