Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
what would cause a dog to scratch all the time >

what would cause a dog to scratch all the time

what would cause a dog to scratch all the time

Old 06-12-2011, 02:05 PM

My advice is to take the poor thing to the vet before you start administering "maybe it's this" and "what if it's that" home remedies. It could be any of the conditions everyone has suggested, but please just don't experiment. Find out for sure and end this dog's suffering!

My dog's problem was dry skin, my son's dogs (3) had all kinds of allergies to things inside and outside and my sister's dogs had thyroid problems. It pays to check!
Old 06-12-2011, 02:06 PM

One of my daughters used to raise Chows. One of them scratched herself bloody in one spot, so on the advice of friends she rubbed Avon's Skin so Soft on it. Hair came in so soft and lovely DD had the dog stripped and rubbed her all over with Skin so soft often.

One of my cats was scratching a lot so I rubbed some coconut oil on her fur and rubbed it in to the skin. That helped a lot. I also use it on my own hair.
Old 06-12-2011, 02:08 PM

Ah, the food, Moira does best on fish based grain free. Canidae GF Salmon worked best for her when she had skin issues before the fleas. The antihistamine - her vet had just come from a dog allergy seminar when she presented with allergies late last Summer. He said research shows that chlorotrimton works better for dogs than Benedryl. I got hers from Drs Smith & Fosters for $5 for 100.
Old 06-12-2011, 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by Sheila_H
Like everyone else its allergies and it can be to anything just like people. Our boxer it took us 5 different foods and finally blood tests to determine what he was allergic to. His allergies are way off from what other dogs allergies are, he's allergic to milk, eggs, rice, oats, duck, barley, catfish. So we had to put him on food that is completely grain free - that can get costly but we finally found a food for him where he no longer scratches or chews his paws non stop.

Blood tests for allergies can be pricey ours was %200 but at least we found out what the problem was I would suggest doing the same thing - get them checked
We had to have Woody's blood tested also after trying every antihistemine out there. He's a big dog and was up to 4 Benadryl a day (and still functioned). Since I've taken him off the foods the test showed he was allergic to, he never chews or licks at his paws (which went on 23 hours a day!!) He's allergic to certain pollen and golf course grass (there goes his career!) too. Yes, the test was costly, but looking back at all the money we spent on useless drugs (to him) and now he doesn't have to be medicated, it was well worth it in the long run. Not to mention the fact that he feels SO much better. And he knows that his name is Woody, not "QUIT!!".
Old 06-12-2011, 02:26 PM

I read somewhere that wheat causes itching . I think the food allergy advice is accurate...but what it is for each individual dog, who knows.
Old 06-12-2011, 02:32 PM

Mine would lay in the grass on her tummy and get these bumps on her that were puss you could bust them very easly the vet said it was allergies so I started using an medicated shampoo from the vet you had to leave it on for ten min that took care of it no more bobo's
Old 06-12-2011, 04:03 PM

Do take to the vet, one of ours suffered terribly, but thankfully we found she was allergic to meat, she is on a fish based food now and all her hair has grown back and the skin healed up lovely. Also watch for cleaning products that turn cloudy when you add them to water as they are toxic to pets.
Old 06-12-2011, 04:04 PM

The dog could have a thyroid problem. The only way to find out is a blood test. Could also have an allergy to something outside. Dogs can have Benadryl (same pills as people).
The dog food change is a good one. We use the brand "Taste of the Wild". It's about $42.00 for a 30 lb. bag. Many times it's the grains in the foods that give dogs problems. This food comes in buffalo, Salmon, & a fowl type. It has been great for all 3 of our dogs.
Another thing that we have had GREAT success using is people "BASIS" soap. $1.25. It's a bar soap. It has alot of fatty acids. I make a lather of it after the dog is wet & make sure I rinse with just warm water very well so no residue is left on the skin. I also do their feet only in a bucket sometimes because that's what is the worst for ours.
This soap works great for allergy & allergy/redness rashes on dogs.
Old 06-12-2011, 05:07 PM

My lab mix has lots of allergies to foods and environmental things. She used to scratch constantly until she was raw. Benedryl helped a little but not much. She is now on a special non-steroid allergy med and a special diet. We buy her Blue venison or salmon or lamb. She is now doing really well. No more scratching or discomfort.
Old 06-12-2011, 05:54 PM
Power Poster

excema
maybe food allergies
We had a dog that needed food made with lamb meat.