Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
what would cause a dog to scratch all the time >

what would cause a dog to scratch all the time

what would cause a dog to scratch all the time

Old 06-13-2011, 05:25 AM

You may have to get allergy shots for her. Sometimes dogs just have dry skin and other times it could be from just one flea bite. We had a cat like that once.
Old 06-13-2011, 05:57 AM

Originally Posted by Hosta
she doesn't have fleas , she has been bathed in a shampoo that is suppose to make her hair soft she has been checked for fleas bugs and we can't find anything that would cause an allergic reaction but she just constantly scratches is driving me nuts if I tell her to stop she does for a few minutes and she only does it in the house but there is nothing new in the house anybody have any ideas thanks
Some dogs are allergic to Wheat!! try a wheat free food
Old 06-13-2011, 06:06 AM

I don't have a dog but I remember hearing a lot of dogs have allergies to corn, which is everywhere in most dog food. Not at natural part of a carnivore's diet, it is just used as a cheap filler.
Old 06-13-2011, 06:17 AM

ptquits is right. Corn is a definite allergen. There are dozens of foods available without corn if you look somewhere besides your grocery store. My dogs sometimes have food with grains. I like variety in their diet, but they get no corn, wheat, soy or menadione. They also get prey model raw every other day.
Old 06-13-2011, 06:19 AM

Most likely an allergy.. maybe to grasses this time of year or from shampooing causing dry skin. You might check with your dogs vet to inquire. :)
Old 06-13-2011, 06:20 AM

Originally Posted by irishrose
ptquits is right. Corn is a definite allergen. There are dozens of foods available without corn if you look somewhere besides your grocery store. My dogs sometimes have food with grains. I like variety in their diet, but they get no corn, wheat, soy or menadione. They also get prey model raw every other day.
True diet could be the culprit, as your dog gets older in digesting.
Old 06-13-2011, 06:52 AM

My cat has an autoimmune disorder. He scratches bloody sores on himself. We have to give him oral steroids to control it. Don't you think that must be fun? We call it "waterboarding the cat."
Old 06-13-2011, 07:31 AM

My Libby has had the SAME problem!!! I took her last week to see about the itching and to get her rabies inoculation... Well, she had a reaction to the inoculation... they treated her with Benadryl and something else (can't remember)... it was two quick shots... she wasn't in respiratory distress, but swelled up with swollen hives all over... She's a beagle and those droopy lips were just so swollen... poor thing... could NOT get relief from itching...
She was fine in a few minutes...

But about the allergies... the vet said it's been a huge problem this year. We're in western Oklahoma, but he indicated it was bad everywhere. The first thing he wanted to try (before going to a more serious solution such as steroids) was plain old benadryl... At her weight (30.2 lbs) she could have 50mg every 8 hours... that's two small 25 mg benadryl every 8 hours. I bought the generic for much less than "Benadryl" and she's been great for 2 days now! A little sleepy... but I only gave her three doses and then quit the medicine. She hasn't itched since Friday afternoon after the reaction!

Just be sure to check with the vet about the correct dosage!! or google it?

Good luck!
Old 06-13-2011, 07:42 AM

If nothing as worked so far, I'd take her to the vet and see what they say. Could be something medical you wouldn't know about.
Old 06-13-2011, 07:52 AM

yesterday a friend told me to get lineolic oil from fosters and grant and put a little one her food eah feeding. worked for her dog.